• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fire DQ, Hire Brucey B, ????, Profit!!!

You keep pointing to one example... Eichel had no problem putting up points with 2 horrendous coaches. Same with Hall.

I wouldn't expect an instant rebound with Lafrienere. The offense should seem apparent, outside the coach.

17 minutes last night, zero shots on goal. Strome had 3 and Kakko 5. That's not coaching.

So, I agree but with a caveat.

It's not coach in terms of scheme. It can be coach in terms of mentality/what's being reinforced (or not). If he's this unsure and afraid of the puck, it can be paralysis due to not wanting to make a mistake, because of what coaching has stressed to him, or alternatively he could be being told he's doing the right things (doubtful) and he's keeping to it, which is why he's consistently so absent. Not to say that I know that to be true, but coaching is as much managing attitudes and egos as it is defenses, line changes and matchups. Managing egos means both keeping the cocky and self-centered players in check/on the right track to benefit your team the most, and the guys who aren't confident yet in the right frame of mind. So far, there seems to be clear evidence that when things are going well, Quinn can keep his young guys focused and on point (Key, Fox, TDA, etc.) but I have yet to see a struggling player grow, or a player who falls off the wagon get back on with him.

Now, I think on ice he's done about all you could do. The minutes are there, the placing in the lineup is right on, but I have no idea what he does behind closed doors to manage players, and I think that's a valid concern.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I say Lafreniere has look disinterested at times? Is that fair? Sometimes you can't tell if he's even playing.
I think you're confusing disinterested for lack of confidence and trying to figure it out. Listening to him speak, seeing him leading up to the draft, and hearing people who know him personally i don't think this kid has played a disinterested minute of hockey in his entire life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think you're confusing disinterested for lack of confidence and trying to figure it out. Listening to him speak, seeing him leading up to the draft, and hearing people who know him personally i don't think this kid has played a disinterested minute of hockey in his entire life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, maybe. His personality certainly doesn't give off those vibes. I still think most of these guys have just tuned Quinn out, and I think he kind of knows it judging by his body language recently, and just in general. I always found that he looks almost bugged out behind the bench most of the time. I did think he was going to be a good fit here, but we're still seeing the bad habits we saw back in the Carolina series. That's not good. The team was playing like gangbusters the last month-plus last year. What happened?

So, I agree but with a caveat.

It's not coach in terms of scheme. It can be coach in terms of mentality/what's being reinforced (or not). If he's this unsure and afraid of the puck, it can be paralysis due to not wanting to make a mistake, because of what coaching has stressed to him, or alternatively he could be being told he's doing the right things (doubtful) and he's keeping to it, which is why he's consistently so absent. Not to say that I know that to be true, but coaching is as much managing attitudes and egos as it is defenses, line changes and matchups. Managing egos means both keeping the cocky and self-centered players in check/on the right track to benefit your team the most, and the guys who aren't confident yet in the right frame of mind. So far, there seems to be clear evidence that when things are going well, Quinn can keep his young guys focused and on point (Key, Fox, TDA, etc.) but I have yet to see a struggling player grow, or a player who falls off the wagon get back on with him.

Now, I think on ice he's done about all you could do. The minutes are there, the placing in the lineup is right on, but I have no idea what he does behind closed doors to manage players, and I think that's a valid concern.

RE: Players get back on, yea. I said something similar, he just expects talent to take over. It's like he doesn't think he has to teach them what to do with the puck, that's why none of them know what to do with it and they all look like strangers.

I gotta admit fellas, I've been an advocate of sticking with Quinn, and giving him the benefit of the doubt...pretty much since he's been here.

Last night didn't give me a lot of belief....That game should've been 4-0 after the first. Shesty played insanely, to keep it scoreless.

Between the 2nd and third periods, Valley blatantly states..."This 3rd period is going to show us a lot of what this team is made of"...yeah well....my team is looking like a top 5 lottery pick.

It was an outright fucking stinker, and yeah, you can blame Quinn for his share....but there are players out there that need to shoulder a lot of it too. I'd be surprised if they replaced Quinn this season, but I don't like any of the names that keep coming up as replacements.

I think Pete's right though...no coach is gonna come in here, wave a magic wand and all of a sudden fucking Kreider is going to be a force for 60 minutes each & every game. Laffy isn't going to be a 50 goal scorer, and Trouba isn't gonna stop swinging his purse.

Let's see what goes down tomorrow night. "our rebound" from this piece of shit we flung at the wall last night.

That's my point. A first overall being held back by a coach and then immediately flipping the switch after the coaches fired is an edge case.

Normally, first overalls come in and perform. They don't need to be generational talents. Their talent just took over and they did what they do, regardless of having inept coaches. The fact that Laf can't do that is as much on him as it is on Quinn. That's why I wouldn't expect much of a rebound if they fired Quinn tomorrow.

Sure, that's probably accurate. But I think this is also a Quinn issue, more specifically, because when I watch Laf play, I see a player similar to Kakko last year, who looks afraid to make a mistake, so he plays the dumbest, simplest, most undynamic style he can. Over time, that's how you get what we're getting. That, to me, is a coaching issue. Quinn should be coaching him out of that, and telling him "make something happen, even if it ends up going the other way," or "make something happen, even if you take a penalty. We'll kill it off."

Quinn just strikes me as entirely unqualified to handle the strategy of x's and o's coaching. You can probably get away with that at lower levels, but it's practically impossible in the NHL when you can get counter-coached into oblivion. Just look at how easily the Rangers get utterly shut down by lock-it-down teams (Isles).

• Like 1

You can also make a decent case for the offensive successes last year being less because of Quinn and more to do with the presence of Panarin more directly. Artemi was already a point pet game player well before Quinn and is just hitting his natural ceiling. It's not some revelation in Quinn's approach. Ziby you can make a case for. Maybe ADA but we all see how that eventually turned out anyway. Strome (im sorry Pete) is more directed at Panarin imo. Maybe Buch?

You can also make a decent case for the offensive successes last year being less because of Quinn and more to do with the presence of Panarin more directly. Artemi was already a point pet game player well before Quinn and is just hitting his natural ceiling. It's not some revelation in Quinn's approach. Ziby you can make a case for. Maybe ADA but we all see how that eventually turned out anyway. Strome (im sorry Pete) is more directed at Panarin imo. Maybe Buch?
I mean of you listen to Strome he gives Quinn a ton of credit for sticking with him and giving him advice.

It's like I said earlier, RE: Quinn with talented players, the talent just takes over. It's like he doesn't think he has to coach that part of the game...I don't understand why that's not happening to the younger players, so they bear some responsibility.

I mean of you listen to Strome he gives Quinn a ton of credit for sticking with him and giving him advice.

It's like I said earlier, RE: Quinn with talented players, the talent just takes over. It's like he doesn't think he has to coach that part of the game...I don't understand why that's not happening to the younger players, so they bear some responsibility.

Thats fair. I think I did hear where Ryan sent a nice edible arrangements to Quinn for letting him play with Panarin and get out there when there's an open net.

I keed I keed

of course he did. he wouldnt deny it if asked directly

Yes agree, I'm not completely absolving Quinn, at all. If the team had more structure, the game would be easier for Laf. He'd have less to "figure out". But, he just doesn't want the puck, at all. He's not even trying to do it all himself (something Kakko was guilty of last year). His compete level is trash (also touted to be an asset). I just can't blame that all on Quinn.

Agree with you, it's a combination. Put it this way, I think the Rangers need to move on from Quinn (and likely won't be this year), but I don't fault him with nearly as much as others do. As I said, I don't think another coach stops Zib, Kreider and Trouba from being abjectly awful...And it's hard to win missing 2/3 your top line and 1/2 your first D pair.

I think you have to walk away from Quinn sooner otherwise someone like Gallant won’t be available

I think you have to walk away from Quinn sooner otherwise someone like Gallant won’t be available

Maybe. Something rubs me the wrong way about Gallant, there's a reason teams walk away from him even with his success, and he's still out there even though there are some terrible coaches hanging around in places like Chicago, Detroit, and a rookie coach in Minny.

Maybe. Something rubs me the wrong way about Gallant, there's a reason teams walk away from him even with his success, and he's still out there even though there are some terrible coaches hanging around in places like Chicago, Detroit, and a rookie coach in Minny.

Yea I definitely get what you’re saying, but I just think someone like Gallant can help with getting some structure that they desperately need, similar to how they brought in Torts only to have AV be the one to take them to the finals.

Sure, that's probably accurate. But I think this is also a Quinn issue, more specifically, because when I watch Laf play, I see a player similar to Kakko last year, who looks afraid to make a mistake, so he plays the dumbest, simplest, most undynamic style he can. Over time, that's how you get what we're getting. That, to me, is a coaching issue. Quinn should be coaching him out of that, and telling him "make something happen, even if it ends up going the other way," or "make something happen, even if you take a penalty. We'll kill it off."

Quinn just strikes me as entirely unqualified to handle the strategy of x's and o's coaching. You can probably get away with that at lower levels, but it's practically impossible in the NHL when you can get counter-coached into oblivion. Just look at how easily the Rangers get utterly shut down by lock-it-down teams (Isles).

Looks like as with Kakko LAF is scared to death to make a mistake.

Duguay had Bossy on his podcast a few weeks ago. Said he was totally terrified in his first camp of Al Arbour. And one day Arbour pulled him aside and said, look kid, they took you that high to be a serious offensive threat, to score goals. Go play your game and don't worry about anything else. And he barely spoke to Arbour the rest of the season. Having a great HoF center (if lousy head coach in later life) didn't hurt. But get the sense these kids are scared shitless to make a mistake under Quinn rather than being encouraged. Frankly the utter bullshit of benching Lemieux and ADA (without going into all of that all over again) cement that. Yes, play defense , but for fvck's sake let these kids play and trust them to do stuff.

As to strategy, night after night these team not only falls behind and lets up, but then shows no aggression, no sense of urgency. Down 2 goals with and empty net last might still passing around the perimeter. What did they even talk about during the timeout?

If there is going to be any change it would be during the 3 day break next week. Otherwise not sure how you do it with this schedule.