• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade F Mats Zuccarello to DAL for Two Conditional Draft Picks

Phil

For realz? Better than what they currently are worth, right?

I see what you're saying. But it' a long road between drafting some kid in June 2019 and the night he actually suits up at MSG. Is it crazy to think Zucc had enough value to merit a high end prospect who's closer to the NHL right now that that?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Worry is you wind up like Edmonton, chasing rebuilding on a treadmill forever. Not necessarily a bad haul, simply would rather have top prospects now than picks later.

Fair point, and I'd be really concerned if they also traded Hayes, Kreider, etc.. However, given Zucc's age I don't feel so bad, plus it frees up some cap space to sign a younger FA. I also wouldn't feel bad if they could unload Shattenkirk. No need for him and ADA and Pionk all on the right side.

Their owner has also effectively alluded to major summer turnover if things don't go well.

Fair enough, but what on earth is the incentive to pay a 1st to re-sign him?

IMO, this went down in one of a few ways:

1 - The offers on Zuccarello were poor enough that the conditions made enough of a difference.

2 - The Rangers let Dallas speak to Zucc and there's significant mutual interest enough to put the pick in there

3 - Jim Nill dangled 2 1sts in front of GMJG and he bit.

4 - Gorton is gambling that the Stars can't get out of their cap hell, and have literally one option on the market to upgrade. He put the poison pill in there thinking the Stars have no choice but to bite.

I doubt 1 is the case - fuckin Dzingel just got 2 2nds.

2 is interesting, but if that were the case, why not flip the picks? Why not get 2 conditional 2nds here?

3 is probably what happened.

4, however, is intriguing. The Stars are tied up to the tune of around 67 million against the cap so far next year - prior to performance bonuses for Hintz and Heiskanen, and prior to re-signing a few key players like Esa Lindell and Julius Honka - with 2nd line center, wings in general, and defense as a need. That ostensibly prices them out of the top end market. Is Zucc actually their best target?

Bluntly, after seeing what just happened to Ottawa, I'd be dumbfounded if we end up with the Dallas 2020 1st. They have the option to sign literally anyone but Zucc.

Fair point, and I'd be really concerned if they also traded Hayes, Kreider, etc.. However, given Zucc's age I don't feel so bad, plus it frees up some cap space to sign a younger FA. I also wouldn't feel bad if they could unload Shattenkirk. No need for him and ADA and Pionk all on the right side.

At this point I deal Pionk. I'd rather not give him his next contract.

Of course it matters, he’s been pretty awful this season

False narrative that needs to stop. It doesn't matter how often it's repeated, it doesn't make it true. He got off to a bad start which started the narrative, but over the last 2 months he has been tremendous. 7g 16a 23 points in 21 games between Jan and Feb. Overall he has been scoring at a clip of a 65 point pace, which is a career high...so he's actually never been better than he is right now.

With that said, it's a fair return for a 2nd tier trade rental.

There’s some real pathetic shit all over social media, as if this hasn’t been coming for two years.

It’s not even that. He’s a fuckin hockey player that got traded. No one died here. Grown men falling in love with athletes to a ridiculous extreme is fuckin laughable. There’s nothing wrong with liking or disliking your guys, but come on now.

I don’t do Twitter and such. So I’m not sure what the reactions are but you’re 100% right. This has been coming for months. Zucchad a great run but this isn’t leetch getting traded.

Even if it was, there’s no reason to act like a cunt waffle

False narrative that needs to stop. It doesn't matter how often it's repeated, it doesn't make it true. He got off to a bad start which started the narrative, but over the last 2 months he has been tremendous. 7g 16a 23 points in 21 games between Jan and Feb. Overall he has been scoring at a clip of a 65 point pace, which is a career high...so he's actually never been better than he is right now.

With that said, it's a fair return for a 2nd tier trade rental.

Haven?t paid much attention, especially lately, going by his overall production for the year

Archived