• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade F Mats Zuccarello to DAL for Two Conditional Draft Picks

Phil

Well, im under the assumption there would be some player or better option at some point from last year until now, yes. I just have a hard time figuring the best option was a series of conditional picks we most likely will never see blossom into anything significant. Everyone, including the entire NHL, knew that this team would sell from the second this organization put that assinine letter out last year announcing it. How is that good business and getting the "best" option for this organization? In my opinion it just let the entire NHL know to let the vultures go after the prey and i think the return they got for Zucc shows it. Just my opinion.

The letter was for the fans to help them accept this day. We all knew this was coming. The rest of the NHL would have been well aware the Rangers were tearing it down when Gorton called and told them everyone was available -- letter or not.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The letter was for the fans to help them accept this day. We all knew this was coming. The rest of the NHL would have been well aware the Rangers were tearing it down when Gorton called and told them everyone was available -- letter or not.

The days following that letter a lot of the NHL media were sort of surprised by the announcement. Us hardcore fans knew it but we werent far away from a playoff spot. If we all knew this was coming, there was no need to announce it further. If it was to inform us fans, it still wasnt necessary. Id rather it not be broadcasted to the rest of the league in that way. It certainly doesnt help any leverage. Yes GMs would know eventually but broadcasting it that way did not help in my opinion.

Im only bringing it up for two reasons. The first is that if we were goibg in that direction,bzucc should have been traded last year. Second is that trades like yesterdays give me a little impression that other GMs might be taking advantage of us a bit here.

I dunno. I don't think it's a real mystery in the NHL who's not in good shape and who is.

I felt like the letter was more for Rangers Twitter and "blue seats" who don't consider the long term health of the team and think we should desperately try for the playoffs annually.

The letter was sent out for their ticket holders. The regular fan who goes to game here and there are not the ones they were trying to prepare. The price for tickets have doubled since their finals appearance. The people paying those prices surely would like a heads up about the coming demo when renewals are due in February

I dunno. I don't think it's a real mystery in the NHL who's not in good shape and who is.

I felt like the letter was more for Rangers Twitter and "blue seats" who don't consider the long term health of the team and think we should desperately try for the playoffs annually.

interesting perspective. I always felt it was more garden management who was desperate, so that they didn't miss the playoff dollars, but thats just me.

I was o.k. with the letter. i agree with you that other teams in the league know whats going on with each club. I don't think it cost us from a nego-standpoint. At the end of the day if players are valuable teams will pay up regardless, although it probably does have a negative impact like in the case of ottawa right now but i see that as a different set of circumstances.

4, however, is intriguing. The Stars are tied up to the tune of around 67 million against the cap so far next year - prior to performance bonuses for Hintz and Heiskanen, and prior to re-signing a few key players like Esa Lindell and Julius Honka - with 2nd line center, wings in general, and defense as a need. That ostensibly prices them out of the top end market. Is Zucc actually their best target?

Bluntly, after seeing what just happened to Ottawa, I'd be dumbfounded if we end up with the Dallas 2020 1st. They have the option to sign literally anyone but Zucc.

You have the Stars thing backwards. I don't think they'd give up the first to re-sign him, but they have 0 impact players to re-sign after this year and Spezza coming off the books. They have enough room to get to the upper limit of a Zucc contract ($5m), and be big players in free agency. They're only at $60m committed for next year.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/stars

They don't need to give Hintz and Heiskinen raises, because they're under contract. Dickinson, Ritchie, Lindell, Honka are all going to get moderate contracts.

Gorton would have figured that they are likely to sign Zucc because they ahve the space, rather than trading him to someone like Toronto or Tampa, who would have to do some gymnastics to afford him.

You have the Stars thing backwards. I don't think they'd give up the first to re-sign him, but they have 0 impact players to re-sign after this year and Spezza coming off the books. They have enough room to get to the upper limit of a Zucc contract ($5m), and be big players in free agency. They're only at $60m committed for next year.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/stars

They don't need to give Hintz and Heiskinen raises, because they're under contract. Dickinson, Ritchie, Lindell, Honka are all going to get moderate contracts.

Gorton would have figured that they are likely to sign Zucc because they ahve the space, rather than trading him to someone like Toronto or Tampa, who would have to do some gymnastics to afford him.

Careful on that 60M number.

Hintz and Heiskanen both have performance bonuses, not raises. Those need to account against the cap in some way. Heiskanen has likely hit on a number of them already - his cap number is misleading. He's likely going to be a hit of nearly triple what his contract says. Hintz has minimal bonuses; not too worried there.

Further, they're committed to a few of those IR contracts, namely Hanzal and Johns. We've already closed that cap from 60/83 to closer to 68/83

Further than that, they can't really afford to mess too much with their defense. Lindell is going to get a decent ticket - he's scoring at around a 40 point pace. Honka might not get much.

They probably have more like 8m to mess with assuming Lindell comes in low and assuming they re-sign those RFA. They're way closer to the cap than they appear.

Judging by the way Dallas talked about Zuccs 40 minutes and how he made a positive impact on the bench, I think they will definitely re-sign Zucc. I watched the Dallas game and Zucc played an excellent 2 periods, every shift. I actually feel bad for Dallas because he gave them everything they hoped he would and more and then is out a month at the most crucial point of the season. Just sucks.

A great trade for a number of reasons. Gorton continues to impress me with his creativity. I think there's at least a 50/50 chance we hit on one of the conditions. Dallas is such a great strategic location because 1) They suck. They're no better than we are (were), even as a second rounder it's in a great spot. 2) I don't have to hate him now.

Reading all the hot takes on Twitter over past two days really made me want to punch kittens.

A great trade for a number of reasons. Gorton continues to impress me with his creativity. I think there's at least a 50/50 chance we hit on one of the conditions. Dallas is such a great strategic location because 1) They suck. They're no better than we are (were), even as a second rounder it's in a great spot. 2) I don't have to hate him now.

Reading all the hot takes on Twitter over past two days really made me want to punch kittens.

Why? It's not their fault.

Archived