• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-9 NHL Trade Deadline: Sell 'em All... Again!

fletch

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
During the 2nd Intermission of the B's/Leafs game, the panel said its a buyers market this year.

So I guess the Rangers won't get as much in return compared to last year.

It would be stupid for teams like buffalo, Carolina or Colorado to trade picks and prospects when they are taking the first big step. None of the bubble teams will be able to compete with the tops teams, most likely.

It would be stupid for teams like buffalo, Carolina or Colorado to trade picks and prospects when they are taking the first big step. None of the bubble teams will be able to compete with the tops teams, most likely.

I disagree with this. Carolina hasn't been in the post-season in 9 years, Buffalo in 7. They both currently sit outside the playoff bubble. They haven't taken the first big step yet and they need to, because teams don't often just walk into the playoffs and win it all, it takes years of playoff losing before winning a Cup. They both need to get in, so they can start that process.

Colorado hasn't won a playoff round in a decade and only made the playoffs twice over that span. They are on the inside of the bubble right now, but by just a single point over two other teams.

There's moving assets to have a better chance of winning it all and there is moving assets to improve your chance of gaining valuable playoff experience. I can see all three teams finding value in rentals for the second reason.

That said, no way Colorado moves Ottawa's first-round pick to do that, they'd move their own.

I disagree with this. Carolina hasn't been in the post-season in 9 years, Buffalo in 7. They both currently sit outside the playoff bubble. They haven't taken the first big step yet and they need to, because teams don't often just walk into the playoffs and win it all, it takes years of playoff losing before winning a Cup. They both need to get in, so they can start that process.

Colorado hasn't won a playoff round in a decade and only made the playoffs twice over that span. They are on the inside of the bubble right now, but by just a single point over two other teams.

There's moving assets to have a better chance of winning it all and there is moving assets to improve your chance of gaining valuable playoff experience. I can see all three teams finding value in rentals for the second reason.

That said, no way Colorado moves Ottawa's first-round pick to do that, they'd move their own.

Not at the expense of a first round pick, which was the discussion.

I mean, you can trade for players and then sign them.

Someone like Silvferberg would be a good piece, long term, for Buffalo...not to mention Kreider and Hayes.

In a weaker draft, this is the year you'd want to trade picks for pieces. Even if it doesn't put you over the top this year, it might for next year.

Is this draft that weak? Everything I’ve seen is that it’s weak on defenseman but stocked at forward. The top 5 especially is loaded. Just curious who says it’s a weak draft.

The picks we are talking about are in the 15-20 range. Teams that will just make or just miss the playoffs.

Not at the expense of a first round pick, which was the discussion.

I'd bet that Carolina and Buffalo specifically would give up their first-round pick in the draft for a guarantee of making the playoffs this year. And they should. Two franchises that have been bad for a long time, have reaped the prospect benefits repeatedly for that, and need to start winning and gaining playoff experience if they're ever going to become legitimate contenders.

Carolina seems more interested in trading a defenseman.

Buffalo more willing to move a youngster + non first rd pick.

If the right deal comes, sure. Stupid to trade a first or good prospect for Silvferberg. Both teams are still trying to figure out where their prospects will settle in the lineup moving forward. Cant risk another Okposo-like contract/player or you end up like the Rangers with a bunch of overpaid 2nd/3rd liners.

Is this draft that weak? Everything I?ve seen is that it?s weak on defenseman but stocked at forward. The top 5 especially is loaded. Just curious who says it?s a weak draft.

LeBrun was saying the other day that the forward group projected to go in the second half of the 1st round is really strong.

So much so that several of the 2nd tier contenders are reluctant to give up their 1st for rentals.

looks for sure like a buyers market and tbh, we have middle of the road guys to offer. not sure anyone should expect a big haul here, even if you were to put kreid's and zib on the block.

cap is said to be 83 mln next year. any chance you put the 16 mln offer sheet out to matthews or marner to see what floats. i know its pick prohibitive but given our drafting track record might be the best use for those assets.

I'd bet that Carolina and Buffalo specifically would give up their first-round pick in the draft for a guarantee of making the playoffs this year. And they should. Two franchises that have been bad for a long time, have reaped the prospect benefits repeatedly for that, and need to start winning and gaining playoff experience if they're ever going to become legitimate contenders.

Looking back the last handful of seasons, I cant find a non-top-contender that traded a first round pick. Last season was crazy with the number of firsts traded, TB, VGK, SJ (cond), Jets, Boston, penguins. Prior seasons Caps, Wild, Chicago, Nashville... no bubble or barely-in teams.

Looking back the last handful of seasons, I cant find a non-top-contender that traded a first round pick. Last season was crazy with the number of firsts traded, TB, VGK, SJ (cond), Jets, Boston, penguins. Prior seasons Caps, Wild, Chicago, Nashville... no bubble or barely-in teams.

Buffalo has at least 2 firsts this year. Will be 3 if the Blues fall outside the top 10.

Ryan richaug edmonton beat writer for tsn reported this morning that Edmonton is searching high and low to improve their forward group. They are offering up their first, young forwards(puljarvi, Yamamoto) and young goaltending as trade bait

Kreider for Yamamoto and their 1st

I?d throw in a defenseman also

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived