• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's OK to be Disappointed with Lias Andersson For Now

Phil

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That will be Lias' future if he keeps playing like this. Lias does have a bright future in front of him, but Gorton did say Lias will perform better when he's in the top-six role with Hartford instead of being a bottom-six forward in New York that will see five to eight minutes at best

One thing is for certain: no one would trade a guaranteed 7th overall pick in the next draft for him now. He would be rated as worth a late (25+) first or early second round pick at the moment. He still may be a good NHL player, but I don't think anyone really thinks of him as a first line center, and you need to get a first line player with a pick that high.

Exactly what took guts? The kid did absolutely nothing to earn a spot here. Then you go on to say he was probably a whiff. If you have confidence in Gordon that's wonderful. I haven't seen it yet from him.

It took guts to send down his 7th overall pick for the second year running because, of course, they knew what the reaction would be. They could easily have put him on the roster in a 4th line capacity and avoided all the grief and calling for people?s heads etc. But they didn?t, because Andersson needs to develop his offensive game and ability to drive play in order to become the player they want him to be. And probably because he needed a kick in the rear as well. It?s obviously not a good look and leaves them wide open to criticism, so I think that took a bit of guts and proves they want to do it right.

As for the pick, I think it?s probably a bit of a whiff in that we left some high end players on the board. That pick will always be judged with Mittelstadt and a couple of others as backdrop. That doesn?t mean Andersson isn?t a good player. I think he?ll have a good career and contribute in the NHL. It?s just difficult to see him being real value at 7th overall. They probably got a bit lucky that Chytil?s projection is massively improved since they picked him, so they might come out of that draft looking ok anyway.

On Gorton, all I know is that he seems committed to doing this the right way. I don?t know if he?ll succeed, and like I said we won?t know until a few years down the line. Someone mentioned Kravtsov and I agree Gorton probably needs him to be 1st line calibre.

It took guts to send down his 7th overall pick for the second year running because, of course, they knew what the reaction would be. They could easily have put him on the roster in a 4th line capacity and avoided all the grief and calling for people’s heads etc. But they didn’t, because Andersson needs to develop his offensive game and ability to drive play in order to become the player they want him to be. And probably because he needed a kick in the rear as well. It’s obviously not a good look and leaves them wide open to criticism, so I think that took a bit of guts and proves they want to do it right.

As for the pick, I think it’s probably a bit of a whiff in that we left some high end players on the board. That pick will always be judged with Mittelstadt and a couple of others as backdrop. That doesn’t mean Andersson isn’t a good player. I think he’ll have a good career and contribute in the NHL. It’s just difficult to see him being real value at 7th overall. They probably got a bit lucky that Chytil’s projection is massively improved since they picked him, so they might come out of that draft looking ok anyway.

On Gorton, all I know is that he seems committed to doing this the right way. I don’t know if he’ll succeed, and like I said we won’t know until a few years down the line. Someone mentioned Kravtsov and I agree Gorton probably needs him to be 1st line calibre.

As long as Gorton is here I hope he's successful, no doubt about that.

That obvious problem to lias game is his skating. I don’t know how much you can realistically expect that to improve for him to ever reach the level of his draft status. In my opinion the chances of him being a top 6 forward ever is almost zero because of that fact. The rangers can salvage this player by developing him to be what his tools say he is. A responsible great character player with an edge, who can get under the skin of the opponent. A bottom 6 forward that all good teams need. Unfortunately for lias his draft position will leave people disappointed

That obvious problem to lias game is his skating. I don’t know how much you can realistically expect that to improve for him to ever reach the level of his draft status. In my opinion the chances of him being a top 6 forward ever is almost zero because of that fact. The rangers can salvage this player by developing him to be what his tools say he is. A responsible great character player with an edge, who can get under the skin of the opponent. A bottom 6 forward that all good teams need. Unfortunately for lias his draft position will leave people disappointed

His skating issues are overblown.

People tend to call positional players slow. It's not that they are slow, they are usually in good position, and limit unnecessary movement. There were a couple of backchecks I wish he could skate by everyone, sure. He's speed is average NHL footspeed. He plays a very sound game, both ends of the ice, and gets to where he needs to be to net goals. Chytil's defensive game worries me more than Lias' speed. But they are both young, let's continue to see these guys progress in all facets of the game and see where we are in a few seasons.

Expecting all picks to enter the NHL ASAP, and be top line players is unrealistic.

The kid's 19 and already he's getting thrown in the dumpster. I'd rather him in the A than on the 4th line. Let him continue to develop. no one can honestly say what he's going to be at this point.

If the experts on this board question his skating I'm sure the Rangers and Lias as well are more than aware of that.

Kids' got fire and moxie. That's a hell of an intangible in my book.

There are expectations when you're picked that high, at this point he hasn't shown any signs of being worthy of a 7th pick to many of us. Devils Zacha carries the same weight on his shoulders. Most fans on that side would proclaim he's been a huge disappointment for a sixth pick. Is he a decent NHL talent? Some days, weeks whatever. Is he a good enough player to have been picked that high, nope and he's shown no signs of growing into that player either. Is Lias a bust, not yet by any means but I would say it's not out of the question either.

12 different prospect rankings all had Lias going from 12th-17th overall.

One had him going 11th, and few had him going in the 20?s.

The rangers reached a bit for him because he was supposed to be NHL ready, (which was already factored in by the ranking systems).

That the only issue i have, is that they swung and missed on the NHL ready. There were players available with higher ceilings.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yea, but by that logic I'm NHL ready to be a stick taper.

I’m not sure that’s the same thing Peter.

I just don’t feel the “NHL ready” aspect of it is necessarily a stick to beat them with. He could easily be in the team instead of Howden. I assume “NHL ready” means “capable of playing in the NHL right now”. Which he is.

I’m not sure that’s the same thing Peter.

I just don’t feel the “NHL ready” aspect of it is necessarily a stick to beat them with. He could easily be in the team instead of Howden. I assume “NHL ready” means “capable of playing in the NHL right now”. Which he is.

I guess my point is that when most people say "NHL ready", they don't mean ready to play in the NHL and not be very good, or be a 4th liner.

How many players are ready to come in and be very good in the NHL in their draft year?

The answer is very few. So when people talk about NHL ready 18 year olds it sounds strange that the qualifier is anything other than capable of doing a job for an NHL team.

Especially for a kid like Andersson who projects to be a 3rd line, 2 way C whose game isn't based on elite skill.

But I could be wrong here.

How many players are ready to come in and be very good in the NHL in their draft year?

The answer is very few. So when people talk about NHL ready 18 year olds it sounds strange that the qualifier is anything other than capable of doing a job for an NHL team.

Especially for a kid like Andersson who projects to be a 3rd line, 2 way C whose game isn't based on elite skill.

But I could be wrong here.

I'd have to ask how many #7's overall didn't make a rebuilding team in the 2nd year after the draft. That's probably a better question.

I'd have to ask how many #7's overall didn't make a rebuilding team in the 2nd year after the draft. That's probably a better question.
The real question is would Middlestatt be the 3C over Chytil? Otherwise Middlestatt would also be starting in Hartford.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I was curious so I looked it up:

Here are six 7th round picks starting with 2013 draft only because that's what I found.

I consider full-time roster player as "making the team." Meaning they did not split time between the minors and the NHL.

Darnell Nurse EDM -- full time one year after his draft year

Mathew Duma MIN -- full time four years after his draft year

Mark Scheifele WPG -- full time three years after his draft year

Jeff Skinner CAR -- full time the same year as his draft year

Nazem Kadri TOR -- full time five years after his draft year

Colin Wilson NSH -- full time one year after his draft year.

So these are just kind of a random sample but I think it proves that not making the team in the 2nd year doesn't really mean anything.

I was curious so I looked it up:

Here are six 7th round picks starting with 2013 draft only because that's what I found.

I consider full-time roster player as "making the team." Meaning they did not split time between the minors and the NHL.

Darnell Nurse EDM -- full time one year after his draft year

Mathew Duma MIN -- full time four years after his draft year

Mark Scheifele WPG -- full time three years after his draft year

Jeff Skinner CAR -- full time the same year as his draft year

Nazem Kadri TOR -- full time five years after his draft year

Colin Wilson NSH -- full time one year after his draft year.

So these are just kind of a random sample but I think it proves that not making the team in the 2nd year doesn't really mean anything.

Funny you mention Schiefle, who was projected to go late in the first, but went 7.

Would be nice if Lias followed that path...But Schiefle can skate, has size, shot, etc...

Also, not too many "rebuilding" teams on that list , re: Kadri...(also, work ethic issues)

I think Lias has the speed/footwork necessary to be a centerman in the NHL. I think his biggest issue, at the moment, is comfort. He's only played basically half a season in America as an 18 year old. I know he was drafted very high and we have high expectations because of that but I'm fairly certain that when he starts to get comfortable in Hartford, we'll see a player that ends up being close to what he was drafted to be. At least I hope we do...

Funny you mention Schiefle, who was projected to go late in the first, but went 7.

Would be nice if Lias followed that path...But Schiefle can skate, has size, shot, etc...

I mean, I'm not specifically mentioning him. This is just how it is. To conclude that Lias is a bust or Gorton should be fired, which I don't know if you've said but others have, is not really understanding how drafting or rebuilds work. What if he turns out to be Kadri? I'd say that's still a valuable piece. You can always look back and say "we should have drafted X player instead" but you'll always be disappointed with that point of view.

Lias is 19, soon to be 20. I know the new thing is to bring 18 year olds straight into the NHL these days, but that doesn't mean it's always right. I have a feeling the next few years are going to be really difficult for some people.

Archived