• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

44 minutes ago, siddious said:

Here are some imagine of my grass. Pretty much a 50/50 mix of grass and the other stuff for the most part 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Whoo boy. I daresay you may need about an inch or so of topsoil. 

• LMFAO 1

Last year I intentionally killed my entire lawn, scalped it, dethatched, aerated, and put all new topsoil in then played all perennial rye. No mix. The only mix I would consider is KBG with Rye. Rye doesn’t spread roots like KBG does nor does it repair itself like KBG does. Rye does however grow rapidly. Lawn looks fantastic so far. This summer will be the first one to test its drought tolerance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Here are some imagine of my grass. Pretty much a 50/50 mix of grass and the other stuff for the most part 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have the same shit. I do a weed and feed, and it typically kills the ugly stuff but I never follow through and do necessary patch work or put any seed down. 

One year I want to seriously level the fuck out of my backyard with inches of dirt then top soil and start new.

My problem is I'm in the "mountains" and  it's so rocky. Every spring I can pull at least a dozen 20" X 6" odd shaped rocks, and shards of slate out of my yard. Either my yard is eroding quickly or I own a rock farm. It's preventing me from finally getting a ride on mower. I just know I'll hit some random fucking rock that wasn't there 2 weeks ago and break a 2k John deere.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Whoo boy. I daresay you may need about an inch or so of topsoil. 

Lmao yea that’ll be fun. I dunno what I was thinking getting a huge yard.

29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I have the same shit. I do a weed and feed, and it typically kills the ugly stuff but I never follow through and do necessary patch work or put any seed down. 

One year I want to seriously level the fuck out of my backyard with inches of dirt then top soil and start new.

My problem is I'm in the "mountains" and  it's so rocky. Every spring I can pull at least a dozen 20" X 6" odd shaped rocks, and shards of slate out of my yard. Either my yard is eroding quickly or I own a rock farm. It's preventing me from finally getting a ride on mower. I just know I'll hit some random fucking rock that wasn't there 2 weeks ago and break a 2k John deere.

I’ve got a ton of rocks but small ones. The shed in my yard is a 2.5 car garage (or used to be) I think the previous owners had a gravel drive way into it which is fun with my ride on mower. 

had a bunch of tree roots I had to cut out a few weeks ago too because I basically couldn’t access one side of the yard because they were protruding about 6-8” out of the grass. This one alone was like a 100lbs

spacer.png

between fixing up my porch and the yard I think I may focus on the porch this summer and figure out the yard in the fall through spring of next year at this point 

Doing a complete renovation of my basement.....We had a water leak a few months back, and had to have asbestos abatement done to the floors....Which made the decision to finally do the basement....My daughter is 11 and she'll end up needing a space to hang with her friends when she is a teenager.....but also a space for me to watch a game, play a game or workout (during the winter).....now the big question is.....What is the best type of TV to get to watch sports?  I already know I am probably going with a Samsung....but QLED, or OLED better for sports.  Is one better for movies?  video games?  I already planted the seed to put 2 TVs on the wall.....Wanted 3 but my wife was a hard ass about putting 2 up.....I do have an older projector so when I need to watch 3 football games, or 2 football games/NYR game I can just set up the projector on the white wall.  

On 5/26/2023 at 6:55 PM, siddious said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ohhh boy that's a real salad bar.  Honestly dude your best bet might be to burn it all down and start from scratch.  Don't do this until you get the sprinkler system squared away though.

Sorry for late response, haven't been on in a while

• Keeps it 100 1

35 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ohhh boy that's a real salad bar.  Honestly dude your best bet might be to burn it all down and start from scratch.  Don't do this until you get the sprinkler system squared away though.

Sorry for late response, haven't been on in a while

31 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Definitely gotta nuke it. 

I’ve shifted my focus to building a porcelain paver patio to lower the amount of grass but also cuz I wanted to do that anyway. Between now and next spring I’ll figure out the sprinklers and just nuke it all like you guys said. Front of the house is worse than the back too but much smaller. 

8 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ve shifted my focus to building a porcelain paver patio to lower the amount of grass but also cuz I wanted to do that anyway. Between now and next spring I’ll figure out the sprinklers and just nuke it all like you guys said. Front of the house is worse than the back too but much smaller. 

Let the weeds stay until you're ready then.  Better to have something there than nothing.  I agree focus on the porch like you mentioned earlier.  Do your patio too.  Yard is going to get destroyed when you do the patio anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siddious said:

Fall is the easier of the two seasons to replant a new lawn. When you are ready let me know. You’ll need new top soil and I have a giant cylindrical top soil spreader that makes life much easier you can use. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Huge life saver 

Last April when I redid my front yard I really wish I went through the extra trouble of tilling my topsoil into all of the sand that was brought to the surface of my yard after my septic tank was done.  Instead I just laid my topsoil on top of the sand.  Now I have like 4" of topsoil and then a ton of sand underneath.  Had I taken the extra time and effort to till it all together and then put a layer of topsoil on top of everything I think I would have been a lot better off.  I mean 90% my yard looks great except for this one spot I'm having issues with.  But after digging a trench to lay pipe(giggity) for another sprinkler head, I can see the disparity on my soil.  I wonder if my problem area is due to a water retention issue since there is so much sand below the soil.  Whenever I give it some extra water it perks right back up again.  Hopefully the addition of the extra sprinkler head will help. 

When I bought my new build house they had sodded bermuda on about half of it, and a large chunk of the backyard (15k sq ft or so?) they had just thrown fescue seed down in. Weeds overran the entire fescue part. I nuked the whole chunk with roundup and laid bermuda seed down. It's grown in nice, but the blades are thicker. I guess there are different strains of bermuda, and what you get at your typical places is the common type versus a hybrid type. Looks a lot nicer than it did, and you can't really tell after mowing, but when it grows after a mow it's obvious I've got two types of bermuda grass. It bothers me from time to time, but I haven't cared enough to fix it, which I assume is to kill it all and replant with different seed.

Edited by BrooksBurner

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

When I bought my new build house they had sodded bermuda on about half of it, and a large chunk of the backyard (15k sq ft or so?) they had just thrown fescue seed down in. Weeds overran the entire fescue part. I nuked the whole chunk with roundup and laid bermuda seed down. It's grown in nice, but the blades are thicker. I guess there are different strains of bermuda, and what you get at your typical places is the common type versus a hybrid type. Looks a lot nicer than it did, and you can't really tell after mowing, but when it grows after a mow it's obvious I've got two types of bermuda grass. It bothers me from time to time, but I haven't cared enough to fix it, which I assume is to kill it all and replant with different seed.

You have Bermuda grass in NY??  That's a warm season/southern grass type.  I mean I see lots of zoysia(also a southern grass), which my property actually had a lot of too, all over my area but I have never seen Bermuda grass up here.

15 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You have Bermuda grass in NY??  That's a warm season/southern grass type.  I mean I see lots of zoysia(also a southern grass), which my property actually had a lot of too, all over my area but I have never seen Bermuda grass up here.

NC

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Just keep seeding both sides with the same seed. It's better to have a mixture anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...