• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

The worst thing in the world. Needing to replace the Central Air. 

We only have it on our first floor so while we're doing it, we're just gonna say fuck it and get it done upstairs too.

right as the twins are getting ready to start daycare........ I am destitute lol.

shoulda just kept being a renter 

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything
  • LOL 1

57 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

We only have it on our first floor so while we're doing it, we're just gonna say fuck it and get it done upstairs too.

right as the twins are getting ready to start daycare........ I am destitute lol.

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

How much if you don’t mind me asking?

I was quoted 30k to redo my two floors.  I’ll stick with window units for now 

2 hours ago, siddious said:

Was about $27k for us but between 10-15 depending on the ac we went with to just do the one floor that already has the duct work (that was in great condition according to him so that’s a break for us I guess lol)

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything

4 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

It's so worth it. I'm probably going to have to redo mine soon.

This home owner shit sucks. It never ends and I have no time/energy for any of it. Nevermind the money. God bless those of you with kids. The time and money on that nonsense would kill me. 

3 hours ago, siddious said:

I still think that's a ridiculous price and they oversized your system. Wasn't that covid pricing? Maybe get another quote lol. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I still think that's a ridiculous price and they oversized your system. Wasn't that covid pricing? Maybe get another quote lol. 

So I have ducting already in but it’s in horrible shape. Combined with the fact that I have about 3 rooms on the first floor and the basement completely not ducted. Plus two new ac units. 

I don’t have the money right now anyway .. in the last year I’ve redone the roof, the garage, repaved the drive way and redone the fencing. Absolutely tapped 😩😩😩

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 9:11 PM, siddious said:

So I have ducting already in but it’s in horrible shape. Combined with the fact that I have about 3 rooms on the first floor and the basement completely not ducted. Plus two new ac units. 

I don’t have the money right now anyway .. in the last year I’ve redone the roof, the garage, repaved the drive way and redone the fencing. Absolutely tapped 😩😩😩

Adulting sucks. 

So…..my lawn started dying in spots. I figured it’s the rye since it’s not heat tolerant. Went dormant in quite a few spots……

turns out…..

someone unplugged our rainbird and since it waters so early, I never realized. Ugh. Gonna take a while to get it back 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

So…..my lawn started dying in spots. I figured it’s the rye since it’s not heat tolerant. Went dormant in quite a few spots……

turns out…..

someone unplugged our rainbird and since it waters so early, I never realized. Ugh. Gonna take a while to get it back 

Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

11 hours ago, Keirik said:

turns out…..

la what GIF

• 4 weeks later...

How f'd am I?  Renovating my basement.  Someone (assuming its my attached neighbor but she is denying it) called 311 and gave a noise complaint for jackhammering after 6 PM, which was not found when an inspector came.....especially since the workers were gone around 4 PM....fast forward a week (today), an inspector showed up but didn't get access, left a notice that I have to call to have a plumbing inspection done.....We were planning on putting a bathroom/shower in the basement....There was a prior bathroom w/ a shower but was totally gutted for the last 30-40 years.  Obviously didn't file any permits for the renovation b/c quite honestly who really does that unless it's a major house renovation?  I had a leak in the basement in February, insurance paid for the restoration + asbestos abatement so the basement was gutted which led to us to decide to renovate since it was an open floor plan.  

11 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

How f'd am I?  Renovating my basement.  Someone (assuming its my attached neighbor but she is denying it) called 311 and gave a noise complaint for jackhammering after 6 PM, which was not found when an inspector came.....especially since the workers were gone around 4 PM....fast forward a week (today), an inspector showed up but didn't get access, left a notice that I have to call to have a plumbing inspection done.....We were planning on putting a bathroom/shower in the basement....There was a prior bathroom w/ a shower but was totally gutted for the last 30-40 years.  Obviously didn't file any permits for the renovation b/c quite honestly who really does that unless it's a major house renovation?  I had a leak in the basement in February, insurance paid for the restoration + asbestos abatement so the basement was gutted which led to us to decide to renovate since it was an open floor plan.  

I don't think you're screwed but you need a permit. 

The answer to the question who gets a permit, should be "everybody." It's just such a big headache if you don't.

Because here's what happens, if you ever try to sell the house, you won't get a CofO... And if you're not planning on moving, and you die, and your kids want to sell that house, they're the ones who are fucked.  

• Keeps it 100 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't think you're screwed but you need a permit. 

The answer to the question who gets a permit, should be "everybody." It's just such a big headache if you don't.

Because here's what happens, if you ever try to sell the house, you won't get a CofO... And if you're not planning on moving, and you die, and your kids want to sell that house, they're the ones who are fucked.  

That’s correct. But it also depends on the township. Some towns just don’t care as long as you have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. 

I’m surprised you know what you’re talking about here 😂😂

Well I thought it was my neighbor......but now it seems like it may be another contractor that is doing work a few houses down from mine that is causing the issues, this is a total assumption but the wording of the complain makes it seem like its a contractor w/ very poor non-english grammar.  There have been 5 complaints in the last week.  I called the DOB plumbing dept this AM, and they closed that complaint, but it looks like im about to have an electrical notice for inspection now.  

35 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Well I thought it was my neighbor......but now it seems like it may be another contractor that is doing work a few houses down from mine that is causing the issues, this is a total assumption but the wording of the complain makes it seem like its a contractor w/ very poor non-english grammar.  There have been 5 complaints in the last week.  I called the DOB plumbing dept this AM, and they closed that complaint, but it looks like im about to have an electrical notice for inspection now.  

That really stinks. Someone really has it out for you or your contractor. 5 complaints!?

4 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

To me, it’s absolutely insane that a person with a complaint filed against them isn’t allowed to know where it’s coming from. 

• Keeps it 100 1

8 hours ago, CCCP said:

That’s correct. But it also depends on the township. Some towns just don’t care as long as you have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. 

I’m surprised you know what you’re talking about here 😂😂

I'm not surprised that you never know what you're talking about, ever.

44 minutes ago, Keirik said:

To me, it’s absolutely insane that a person with a complaint filed against them isn’t allowed to know where it’s coming from. 

Yea, it's strange, but I totally get the opposite POV...Does it matter who made it? It's either valid or not. Doesn't matter who said it.

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea, it's strange, but I totally get the opposite POV...Does it matter who made it? It's either valid or not. Doesn't matter who said it.

Going through this now, I think that if its multiple complaints that their should be a name to it, and they should back it up.  This is all anonymous that is f'n with someone for no apparent reason other than to cause issues.  Every complaint that I had found I was not in violation, construction work after hours, construction work until 9:00 PM, construction work on the weekends, all found non-existent and complaints closed....finally the last 2 complaints had the words plumbing or electrical in it and was categorized in those sections, and now forced an inspector to come and basically issue a summons that a inspection will need to be done.  

complaints: 

I was haired to do the work no permit for the job so I lefthe say he'll di it him self (I haven't talked to anyone about any job)

there's was permit yet I was was haired to do electricianwork yet no permit for the work so I left and called (huh)

2 family residential building construction is working afterhours without permits. They work from 5pm to about 9pm during theweek & on Sundays from 7:30am to 3pm or 4pm or later. Building is (I'm in bed around 8:00 PM)

NO VIOLATION WARRANTED FOR COMPLAINT AT TIME OF INSPECTION 
Comments:   I-2, NO VIOLATION WARRANTED FOR COMPLAINT AT TIME OF INSPECTION. NO JACKHAMMERING OR AFTER HOURS WORK NOTED AT TIME OF INSPECTION.