• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

Personally, My experience is quite the opposite and wouldn't do asphalt. Why bother with all that wear and tear on sticks and wheels? You'll be going for new wheels every 3 months. I just got my kid rollerblades a few weeks ago and he plays every day and is already grinding the shit out of the wheels that came with them. 

That said, if it's outdoor and uncovered then asphalt seems the path of least resistance in terms of getting it dry and playable. 

Oh yea if your kiddo is skating on asphalt you gotta upgrade those wheels… labeda asphalts were the best I’ve ever used 

https://www.purehockey.com/product/labeda-asphalt-outdoor-wheel/itm/2585-2/

I skate hard and even these would last me a while. Somewhat pricey for wheels but worth it at least. The wheels skates come with are meant for indoor hockey usually.

I still have to do a ton of research… maybe ive never played on good hockey sport court but the ones I did play on it was always way too slippery of a surface and if you use pro pucks which are easily the best roller pucks I know the surface can wear out quicker. Im still a good 3-5 years away from making this thing a reality anyway so we’ll see what I come up with by then. 

10 minutes ago, siddious said:

Oh yea if your kiddo is skating on asphalt you gotta upgrade those wheels… labeda asphalts were the best I’ve ever used 

https://www.purehockey.com/product/labeda-asphalt-outdoor-wheel/itm/2585-2/

I skate hard and even these would last me a while. Somewhat pricey for wheels but worth it at least. The wheels skates come with are meant for indoor hockey usually.

I still have to do a ton of research… maybe ive never played on good hockey sport court but the ones I did play on it was always way too slippery of a surface and if you use pro pucks which are easily the best roller pucks I know the surface can wear out quicker. Im still a good 3-5 years away from making this thing a reality anyway so we’ll see what I come up with by then. 

I have those wheels on mine, I had to break them out of the attic because my kid was begging me to play with him.

The ones that came with his skates are lebeda street hockey wheels. But I'll be getting the asphalt ones when those wear out. 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have those wheels on mine, I had to break them out of the attic because my kid was begging me to play with him.

The ones that came with his skates are lebeda street hockey wheels. But I'll be getting the asphalt ones when those wear out. 

There are other wheels with the same hardness on the market but these just seem to last longer. I would play 2-4 times a week back in the day and they would still last me a good 3-4 months especially if you reverse them. 

Must be fun to skate with him though? Can’t wait until my son gets there 

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

There are other wheels with the same hardness on the market but these just seem to last longer. I would play 2-4 times a week back in the day and they would still last me a good 3-4 months especially if you reverse them. 

Must be fun to skate with him though? Can’t wait until my son gets there 

It's fun. It's more fun on ice LOL. I can't stop on roller anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's fun. It's more fun on ice LOL. I can't stop on roller anymore. 

It’s funny because I grew up playing roller and really only started playing ice, and not much of it, a few years ago. I love ice hockey but I disliked playing it because I felt like a noob.

a few months ago I started playing roller at skate safe with a few friends after mostly playing ice the last 2 years and now it’s the opposite I feel like I can’t do anything on roller  and I’m actually better at ice. It’s definitely better. A lot more exhausting too. My dad bod hurts. 

• Thanks 1
  • LMFAO 1

23 minutes ago, siddious said:

It’s funny because I grew up playing roller and really only started playing ice, and not much of it, a few years ago. I love ice hockey but I disliked playing it because I felt like a noob.

a few months ago I started playing roller at skate safe with a few friends after mostly playing ice the last 2 years and now it’s the opposite I feel like I can’t do anything on roller  and I’m actually better at ice. It’s definitely better. A lot more exhausting too. My dad bod hurts. 

You need adult medicine, sir:
Drunk Happy Hour GIF

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Dont build an ice rink. Waste of money cause your kid wont skate unless friends come over. For the money one would spend on the private rink, just spend it on open hockey slots at your local rink or privates or semi-privates. 

Backyard rings are not as expensive as they used to be. If I built one, I'd be on it, and so would my kid. 

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

You’d need a refrigeration system which is very expensive. Its too warm here. 

Oh yeah, I'm not thinking that deep. I'm thinking of when it gets cold enough for the water to freeze. You only need half an inch of ice. But I guess you're right, it doesn't really get that cold anymore. 

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Oh yeah, I'm not thinking that deep. I'm thinking of when it gets cold enough for the water to freeze. You only need half an inch of ice. But yeah, it doesn't really get that cold anymore. 

If it gets that cold you can just find a pond but it never does anymore. Just spend your money on open hockey or clinics. I think they’re the best. 

but hotestly fuck all of that. Its the invaluable time you spend with your son. That’s all that really matters. These years will fly by so fast that the only thing you and your kid will have is the times you spent together. I feel it so bad now that my son is 18 and he stopped playing. It drives me to tears that i can no longer spend my best time with him. Enjoy. It wont get any better than what you have with him now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

If it gets that cold you can just find a pond but it never does anymore. Just spend your money on open hockey or clinics. I think they’re the best. 

but hotestly fuck all of that. Its the invaluable time you spend with your son. That’s all that really matters. These years will fly by so fast that the only thing you and your kid will have is the times you spent together. I feel it so bad now that my son is 18 and he stopped playing. It drives me to tears that i can no longer spend my best time with him. Enjoy. It wont get any better than what you have with him now. 

I hear that. That's why I dug out my roller blades to play, and I haven't played roller in 25 years. I don't think he's gonna even play until 18, so enjoying it now.

Sorry to hijack thre thread haha.