• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

Speaking of lawns… I’m sure I can google this but figured I’d ask people who actually have lawns.. my yard is a mess. How does one get rid of a ton of … well non-grass? Will weed killer also kill the grass? I have large patches of these little green things that from a distance look like grass but aren’t. Most look like this but there’s other stuff mixed in:

spacer.png

also any tips for seeding? I seeded the crap out of my lawn but have minimal growth to account for it. Been a good 3-4 week already. Been watering which is a pain since I don’t have a sprinkler system in yet and probably won’t this summer. Also used “turf builder starter food”. Is it just my soil that’s bad? 

24 minutes ago, siddious said:

Speaking of lawns… I’m sure I can google this but figured I’d ask people who actually have lawns.. my yard is a mess. How does one get rid of a ton of … well non-grass? Will weed killer also kill the grass? I have large patches of these little green things that from a distance look like grass but aren’t. Most look like this but there’s other stuff mixed in:

spacer.png

also any tips for seeding? I seeded the crap out of my lawn but have minimal growth to account for it. Been a good 3-4 week already. Been watering which is a pain since I don’t have a sprinkler system in yet and probably won’t this summer. Also used “turf builder starter food”. Is it just my soil that’s bad? 

There are a lot of things you have to do before you consider planting new grass, and the first is getting rid of the weeds. The weeds are going to take up all the water and nutrients meant for the grass.

Don't worry about getting new grass this summer, it's a bit late for that at this point, so focus on getting your yard ready for seeding in the fall. 

Start by spreading out some kind of weed control product. That will kill the weeds but keep the grass. Don't do anything else this year other than mow, but in August use a spray liquid aerator to help soften up the dirt which is likely packed from neglect. 

In the fall (Early October) you'll be to get a sense of where the grass is alive or dead. Mow your lawn really short 1.5" tops and rake everything up. Use a dethatcher to scrape up any areas of dead matted grass and rough up the dirt. Then overseed.

Start seeding again in spring once the overnight lows hit 50. Overseed the first time, and then seed again every time you mow, but don't seed after July 4th. 

Right now you're just wasting your seeds. Also if you're really serious, you might want to pull some soil and take it to a garden center and get it checked. Make sure you're using the right seeds as well. I use a mixture seeds on my front and back because they all get different levels of sunlight, even the left side of my backyard gets different sunlight than the right side because of the trees. 

Edited by Pete
  • Thanks 2
  • TroCheckmark 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

There are a lot of things you have to do before you consider planting new grass, and the first is getting rid of the weeds. The weeds are going to take up all the water and nutrients meant for the grass.

Don't worry about getting new grass this summer, it's a bit late for that at this point, so focus on getting your yard ready for seeding in the fall. 

Start by spreading out some kind of weed control product. That will kill the weeds but keep the grass. Don't do anything else this year other than mow, but in August use a spray liquid aerator to help soften up the dirt which is likely packed from neglect. 

In the fall (Early October) you'll be to get a sense of where the grass is alive or dead. Mow your lawn really short 1.5" tops and rake everything up. Use a dethatcher to scrape up any areas of dead matted grass and rough up the dirt. Then overseed.

Start seeding again in spring once the overnight lows hit 50. Overseed the first time, and then seed again every time you mow, but don't seed after July 4th. 

Right now you're just wasting your seeds. Also if you're really serious, you might want to pull some soil and take it to a garden center and get it checked. Make sure you're using the right seeds as well. I use a mixture seeds on my front and back because they all get different levels of sunlight, even the left side of my backyard gets different sunlight than the right side because of the trees. 

Awesome info, thank you.

I stopped seeing about a month ago, it took really well in some areas and not at all in others.  I was thinking I’ll try again next year so thanks for that advice. 

I was using turf-builder North-east mix. My yard is south facing so gets plenty of sun and I don’t have my sprinklers in yet so eating is an issue when I don’t have the time for it and this seemed to be good in terms of being drought resistant. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, siddious said:

Awesome info, thank you.

I stopped seeing about a month ago, it took really well in some areas and not at all in others.  I was thinking I’ll try again next year so thanks for that advice. 

I was using turf-builder North-east mix. My yard is south facing so gets plenty of sun and I don’t have my sprinklers in yet so eating is an issue when I don’t have the time for it and this seemed to be good in terms of being drought resistant. 

Just get a sprinkler timer for watering. That's what I use. Fuck in-ground.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2KR4FBM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just get a sprinkler timer for watering. That's what I use. Fuck in-ground.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2KR4FBM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I’ve thought about it but my yard is huge. I’d need to get like 10 of those and find a way to get sprinklers above ground to the center of my yard. 

funny thing is I have a system under ground already but the previous owner must have cut access to it and I have no idea where the connection was to reconnect it. 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ve thought about it but my yard is huge. I’d need to get like 10 of those and find a way to get sprinklers above ground to the center of my yard. 

funny thing is I have a system under ground already but the previous owner must have cut access to it and I have no idea where the connection was to reconnect it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-58322-Traveling-Sprinkler/dp/B000NJPUHG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2R2NC59O7AP6A&keywords=rolling%2Bsprinkler&qid=1684949063&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=rolling%2Bsprinkler%2Clawngarden%2C107&sr=1-2&th=1

10 hours ago, siddious said:

spacer.png

Do you have a pump sprayer by any chance?  I have a really good chem that kills the fuck out of broadleaf weeds like that but doesn't harm the grass as long as you spray it correctly.  

Post some general pics of your yard so we can get a look see of what we're dealing with.  What kind of seed did you use?  If you're seeding your entire yard its going to be very tough without a sprinkler system.  You need to water seeds 3-4 times a day to keep them and the soil around them moist.  Did you cover the seed with anything?  The starter fertilizer is a good start.  

Edited by SaveByRichter35

6 hours ago, siddious said:

Awesome info, thank you.

Ok this answered part of my last question.  This is what I get for reading and responding to a post at a time lol. 

5 hours ago, siddious said:

Parks and Recreation gif. Chris Pratt as Andy Dwyer looks at us with a big smile as he says, “WTF man?!” His mouth gets blurred as he says the swear word.

6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do you have a pump sprayer by any chance?  I have a really good chem that kills the fuck out of broadleaf weeds like that but doesn't harm the grass as long as you spray it correctly.  

Post some general pics of your yard so we can get a look see of what we're dealing with.  What kind of seed did you use?  If you're seeding your entire yard its going to be very tough without a sprinkler system.  You need to water seeds 3-4 times a day to keep them and the soil around them moist.  Did you cover the seed with anything?  The starter fertilizer is a good start.  

I don't think he needs to water three or four times a day early spring, or in the fall, right? Unless it's like 80 or above. 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

Jesus I thought that was a typo and he meant per week lol

Nah it's definitely twice a day. I normally do 7am and 530 or 6pm for half an hour. 

Edited by Pete

10 hours ago, Pete said:

@siddious there is a lot of good info in here but I wouldn't say its too late to seed yet.  Its still been plenty cool on LI lately.  I seeded my entire front yard from bare dirt last year literally a year ago today.  Seed down day was 5/24/22 looking on my app right now.  I also killed half of my back yard and seeded that from bare ground on 6/4.  It can be done but it will be tough without the irrigation system.  Especially as it starts to get warmer.

October is going to be too late to seed.  If you want to wait for the fall then make sure you have it ready to go end up August/beginning of September.  Reason I say this is because you want to give the grass time to germinate, grow, and grow enough to get 2-3 mows.  Once its grown enough to get 2-3 mows it will be mature enough to last through the winter...if we have a winter this year lol.  I'm not familiar with that Scotts NE seed mix you use but I am going to assume it is a mix of turf type tall fescue, perennial ryegrass, and Kentucky bluegrass.  PRG germinates the quickest at 5-7 days.  TTTF is generally 7-12 days.  KBG can take 20-25 days just to germinate.  Now add about another 2-3 weeks of letting this grass grow enough to mow it.  Letting it grow enough to mow it several times could be another 1-2 weeks past that.  If you seed in October that KBG is not going to make it through the winter.  The TTFF and the PRG should be ok.  

To add another layer to this, you're going to want to do an application of fall pre-emergent to prevent all the winter weeds from growing in the early spring.  IIRC, you generally wanna wait for the grass to be mature enough for one mow before you put any kind of preM down.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think he needs to water three or four times a day early spring, or in the fall, right? Unless it's like 80 or above. 

26 minutes ago, siddious said:

Jesus I thought that was a typo and he meant per week lol

No, you absolutely should be watering at least 3 times a day.  It doesn't have to be long.  5-6 minutes each time.  Its just enough to keep the seeds and surrounding soil moist.  You don't want the seeds to dry out, they'll never grow.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah it's definitely twice a day. I normally do 7am and 530 or 6pm for half an hour. 

That's too much water spread out too far throughout the day.  Generally you want one time 8-9am, another 12-1pm, and again 3-4pm.  If its a really hot day you can add in another one somewhere.  This is strictly for seeding.  I water like this for 2 weeks from seed down day.  Starting the 3rd week I will start watering once per day, for a longer period of time(15-20 minutes), every day.  Do that for a week.  Starting the 4th week I'll go back to my normal watering cycle.  Deep and infrequent, 45-50 minutes every 4th day.  I have my system set up to start at 4am, each zone will run 20-25 minutes depending on how much sunlight it gets throughout the day.  At 530am I have it setup to run the same cycle again.  This gives the soil a chance to let the water drain a little bit between cycles.

20 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's too much water spread out too far throughout the day.  Generally you want one time 8-9am, another 12-1pm, and again 3-4pm.  If its a really hot day you can add in another one somewhere.  This is strictly for seeding.  I water like this for 2 weeks from seed down day.  Starting the 3rd week I will start watering once per day, for a longer period of time(15-20 minutes), every day.  Do that for a week.  Starting the 4th week I'll go back to my normal watering cycle.  Deep and infrequent, 45-50 minutes every 4th day.  I have my system set up to start at 4am, each zone will run 20-25 minutes depending on how much sunlight it gets throughout the day.  At 530am I have it setup to run the same cycle again.  This gives the soil a chance to let the water drain a little bit between cycles.

Well, the rest of the lawn also needs the water so it needs to be done lol, I go out every so often and check on the soil around me is never really dry when I follow this schedule said when it's this kind of weather. It's also always wet in the morning this time of year. 

Edited by Pete

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The reason you want to water deep and infrequently is you want your roots to grow deep to get its water source.  If you water every day the roots will stay shallow in the soil because it knows its always going to get its water.  Come July August its going to get cooked and go dormant.  The deeper the roots grow the better chance they'll have to stay out of dormancy in the summer.

15 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The reason you want to water deep and infrequently is you want your roots to grow deep to get its water source.  If you water every day the roots will stay shallow in the soil because it knows its always going to get its water.  Come July August its going to get cooked and go dormant.  The deeper the roots grow the better chance they'll have to stay out of dormancy in the summer.

Normally that's true, but we have been getting almost no rain this spring. It comes all at once or not at all, and also in my case watering for 30 minutes is pretty standard because we have low water pressure where we are. 

15 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@siddious there is a lot of good info in here but I wouldn't say its too late to seed yet.  Its still been plenty cool on LI lately.  I seeded my entire front yard from bare dirt last year literally a year ago today.  Seed down day was 5/24/22 looking on my app right now.  I also killed half of my back yard and seeded that from bare ground on 6/4.  It can be done but it will be tough without the irrigation system.  Especially as it starts to get warmer.

October is going to be too late to seed.  If you want to wait for the fall then make sure you have it ready to go end up August/beginning of September.  Reason I say this is because you want to give the grass time to germinate, grow, and grow enough to get 2-3 mows.  Once its grown enough to get 2-3 mows it will be mature enough to last through the winter...if we have a winter this year lol.  I'm not familiar with that Scotts NE seed mix you use but I am going to assume it is a mix of turf type tall fescue, perennial ryegrass, and Kentucky bluegrass.  PRG germinates the quickest at 5-7 days.  TTTF is generally 7-12 days.  KBG can take 20-25 days just to germinate.  Now add about another 2-3 weeks of letting this grass grow enough to mow it.  Letting it grow enough to mow it several times could be another 1-2 weeks past that.  If you seed in October that KBG is not going to make it through the winter.  The TTFF and the PRG should be ok.  

To add another layer to this, you're going to want to do an application of fall pre-emergent to prevent all the winter weeds from growing in the early spring.  IIRC, you generally wanna wait for the grass to be mature enough for one mow before you put any kind of preM down.

Per an amazon Q&A: 

Here is the breakdown by weight: 5.5% Silver Dollar Perennial Ryegrass, 7% Vision Perennial Ryegrass, 4% Treasure II Chewing Fescue, 12.5% Fenway Fine Fescue, 6% Avalanche Kentucky Bluegrass, 10% Jump Start Kentucky Bluegrass, 5% Beyond Kentucky Bluegrass, 50% WaterSmart Plus Coating. The types and breakdowns of seeds can change throughout the year due to availability. Each bag will have the breakdown of type and cultivar of seed and the percentage of each on its seed label. The seed label is generally located on the back of the bag, jug, or bucket near the bar code.

I didnt dig into the types too much as this mix kept coming up in google searches as a great item for NY that is both drought resistant but also seems to grow back after damage (dog).

Its sounding more and more like I am going to focus on getting rid of weeds this summer/fall and worry about grass growing next year in coordination with my watering issue being fixed.

Ill take pics of my yard later to show you what ive got.

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Per an amazon Q&A: 

I didnt dig into the types too much as this mix kept coming up in google searches as a great item for NY that is both drought resistant but also seems to grow back after damage (dog).

Its sounding more and more like I am going to focus on getting rid of weeds this summer/fall and worry about grass growing next year in coordination with my watering issue being fixed.

Ill take pics of my yard later to show you what ive got.

Mixes are a bad idea. Better to control what you're putting down. To @SaveByRichter35 point, different seeds germinate in different timelines. You have existing grass so the method he used to start from scratch might not apply for you.

pics are gonna help