• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

On 7/13/2022 at 9:32 AM, Nashley Tisdale said:

I had an EGO mower when I first moved in to my house. It was garbage. All of the parts are plastic, so if you're bumping up on landscaping stones or anything, you can damage it. It has one shitty blade which would frequently require me to do two passes on particularly thick parts of grass. And it got choked up on dense grass areas very easily. But I'm a stubborn motherfucker. I continued to use it for a year until the next season when I take it out and the relay switch for the safety mechanism just straight up broke on me. The mower wouldn't start unless the switch was engaged. 

This infuriated me. So I brought it back to Home Depot and I finagled them to somehow take back a year old mower and I bought a Honda gas mower for $100 more instead. Best move I made. It's a two bladed power house. This thing doesn't get choked up on anything and cuts even every time. Full metal too. 

Get gas. The electric mowers are shit. I have a quarter acre to mow and I get a 2 gallon canister and use that the whole season. That's it. You're not saving the planet by saving 2 gallons of gas per year.

Now I also have the EGO string trimmer and blower. Those are great for general maintenance around my small yard. 

Glad I didn’t go with the ego but got the Ryobi ride on electric mower instead which only 2 uses in is awesome. 

funny enough my yard and front yard have been so neglected and grow so slow that since June my lawn has only needed two mowes. Spent all that money too. 

On 7/13/2022 at 8:46 AM, rmc51 said:

Yup. Enjoy making your garage smell like gasoline just to cut a push mower sized lawn.

What's your garage supposed to smell like?

Mine smells like gasoline, oil, fertilizer, dead grass, dead mice and garage.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

What's your garage supposed to smell like?

Mine smells like gasoline, oil, fertilizer, dead grass, dead mice and garage.... 

Gas, dead grass, etc. Seems pretty usual to me. Love those garages that look pristine like you could eat off the floor but in my life, it certainly isn't an option. 

9 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Gas, dead grass, etc. Seems pretty usual to me. Love those garages that look pristine like you could eat off the floor but in my life, it certainly isn't an option. 

It's definitely a life goal to have a nice clean garage, with shiny clean floors. But it's still gotta have some stink to it. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Keirik said:

Anyone have experience with Perennial Rye grass for a law? I recently killed a lot of my lawn to restart with rye and it looks fantastic. However, the roots are shallow and it doesn’t appear to be super hearty. 
anyone? 

Not much experience with that specifically, but I have read a few places to use many kinds of seeds for your lawn because it experiences different conditions throughout the year, different amounts of moisture and light. 

Right now I'm using the combination of Kentucky bluegrass, dense shade, high traffic, and one other which I forget off the top of my head right now. I just mix equal amounts of all the seeds and then overseed during the April and October. I'll throw out some Northeast mix end of May early June before it gets too hot. 

Edited by Pete

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Not much experience with that specifically, but I have read a few places to use many kinds of seeds for your lawn because it experiences different conditions throughout the year, different amounts of moisture and light. 

Right now I'm using the combination of Kentucky bluegrass, dense shade, high traffic, and one other which I forget off the top of my head right now. I just mix equal amounts of all the seeds and then overseed during the April and October. I'll throw out some Northeast mix end of May early June before it gets too hot. 

I mixed some kentucky blue but rye grows so fast, iy probably didnt allow the KBG much of a chance. Its just a bit too soft of a lawn and the deer tear it up 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Keirik said:

Anyone have experience with Perennial Rye grass for a law? I recently killed a lot of my lawn to restart with rye and it looks fantastic. However, the roots are shallow and it doesn’t appear to be super hearty. 
anyone? 

I got you bruh.  How long ago did you seed?  Did you seed the PRG and the KBG at the same time?  Did you use a starter fertilizer when you seeded? 

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

I got you bruh.  How long ago did you seed?  Did you seed the PRG and the KBG at the same time?  Did you use a starter fertilizer when you seeded? 

Stsrter fert yes. Seeded maybe septb10th. Rye was first, the kbg a bit later

Did the whole dethat g, aeratr, scalp lawn, topsoil seed, warering. Keep in mind, it did come out beautiful. Green AF. Its just that the roots are very shallow.  20221028_144108.jpg

20221028_150658.jpg

20221028_150603.jpg

Well done, looks great dude.  You did your due diligence, I am proud of you.  How many times have you fertilized since?  How often are you watering?  Any reason why you didn't seed them together?  PRG germinates much faster then KBG.  Generally 4-7 days compared to 18-21 days.  You generally want another 2 weeks of growth after that point before you should really mow it.  

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Well done, looks great dude.  You did your due diligence, I am proud of you.  How many times have you fertilized since?  How often are you watering?  Any reason why you didn't seed them together?  PRG germinates much faster then KBG.  Generally 4-7 days compared to 18-21 days.  You generally want another 2 weeks of growth after that point before you should really mow it.  

Starter when i seeded. One time weeks later, just did a round of milorganite today

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

.so it looks grest. However, its so easy to damage.its line the roots are so shallow. Deer trax, mower wheels, even walking on it leaves giant imprints that dont spring back up for days lol 

Because its new grass.  I killed off a section of my front yard.  I have the same issues with the new grass.  I seeded about the same time as you.  I believe my seed down day was 9/10?  We had a major rain storm that night(which wasn't in the forecast.  I was fucking FURIOUS lol).  The next day I cleaned it all up and redid everyyyyything.  Keep mowing it.  Keep it tall but mow it often(no fucking excuses now, you're retired.  I expect you to be out there every other day lol).  The more you mow the more it will grow.  Both up(the leaf) and down(the roots).  Also, you should be watering deep and infrequent.  Longer cycles, spread out by several days.  You want the water to seep deep into the ground and you want the roots to chase it down.  If you water too often the roots don't have to go anywhere.  That's the trick to encourage deep roots.

2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Starter when i seeded. One time weeks later, just did a round of milorganite today

Ok the bolded is good.  I do starter fert on seed down day and another app 2 weeks later.  Another two weeks after that(4 weeks from seed down) I do an app of regular fertilizer and then go back to my once a month fertilizing routine.  Milorganite is a bit of a waste at this point of the year.  Its too cold.  Milorganite works best when its hot out.  I would honestly get some high Nitrogen(N, in the NPK analysis) fertilizer with no Phosphorous(P).  You shouldn't need anymore Phosphorous at this point, which Milorganite has.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Gearing up for our first Halloween here. We live in the largest townhome complex in the town and apparently it goes crazy. Bought 600 pieces of candy. Godspeed to the rest of you tonight.

We ended up very small this year. Ended up just leaving it all out when we went to dinner. Some last straggler got very lucky lol

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I learned that tree roots can grow into your pipes and cause clogs that flood your whole basement

In other news, if you are looking to buy a shop vac, I highly recommend the Rigid wet/dry vac. got the 12 gallon one and shouldve gone bigger. it sucked the water up super fas. had to make several trips out of the basement to dump it (which caused me to fuck my back up again hooray)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Yesterday I learned that tree roots can grow into your pipes and cause clogs that flood your whole basement

In other news, if you are looking to buy a shop vac, I highly recommend the Rigid wet/dry vac. got the 12 gallon one and shouldve gone bigger. it sucked the water up super fas. had to make several trips out of the basement to dump it (which caused me to fuck my back up again hooray)

Within months of moving into my house almost 10 years ago, we had to have the main line from the house to the cesspool replaced because it was that old orange clay pipe shit.  I ripped out some old evergreen shrubs and pieces of the pipe came up with it lol.  Then last year I had to replace my entire cesspool with a septic tank.  Good times.

I hate the Town of Brookhaven.  Just had to pay $180 to extend a permit, again, because I can't afford to legalize an extension that was built onto my house in the 80s, 3 owners prior to me.  I think this is the 5th year I had to do this now.  I know I am killing myself, paying more in the long run having to keep doing this, but I just cant afford to do it all now.