• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

11 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Mine are 19 years old. Suck it, Trebek. 

My water heated is also 9 years old. Fuckkkkkk me. 

The fun part is, I have dual zone...so twice the fun. Quotes were between $30k and $37k for full replacement of both units. Gonna ask our family friend for their HVAC person to validate. If not, guess we're putting off the kitchen reno for half a decade.

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

New HVAC is a fun and joyous part of being a homeowner, right? Furnace and A/C units are all hitting their 15th year in service.

I have shirts older than that. You’re fine. 

Just now, josh said:

I have shirts older than that. You’re fine. 

Can you send the shirts over so my wife can make them into a shirt quilt to keep us warm when our heater breaks? LOL

In actually they have plenty of time left and are in good shape. It's just "another thing" to be on the lookout for in the next few years.

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Can you send the shirts over so my wife can make them into a shirt quilt to keep us warm when our heater breaks? LOL

In actually they have plenty of time left and are in good shape. It's just "another thing" to be on the lookout for in the next few years.

We have an hvac guy for our other house. He came and fixed it a few times for us, until we eventually needed a new unit. Smaller ranch, it was 2k to replace (didnt bother adding central air as we knew we were probably moving) 

25 minutes ago, josh said:

We have an hvac guy for our other house. He came and fixed it a few times for us, until we eventually needed a new unit. Smaller ranch, it was 2k to replace (didnt bother adding central air as we knew we were probably moving) 

Problem is we're three levels, 2400 sq ft, dual zone so upstairs and downstairs each have their own unit. Just did some research on the models we were quoted for and it looks like our guy's estimate is below what the website/manufacturer's minimum estimate is, which is nice at least. Still gonna shop around and we probably don't need the highest end units. 

5 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

The fun part is, I have dual zone...so twice the fun. Quotes were between $30k and $37k for full replacement of both units. Gonna ask our family friend for their HVAC person to validate. If not, guess we're putting off the kitchen reno for half a decade.

That seems pretty high. You said furnace. Do you mean forced air heat? Does this price include all new duct work? If so, your heating duct work can and should be used for the AC.

A couple of damper controls and a new condenser with all new linesets for piping and an air handler, I'd imagine should run you under 18k -20k for material. 17k for labor? Nope.

I may be way off, but those numbers seem ridiculous. 

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

That seems pretty high. You said furnace. Do you mean forced air heat? Does this price include all new duct work? If so, your heating duct work can and should be used for the AC.

A couple of damper controls and a new condenser with all new linesets for piping and an air handler, I'd imagine should run you under 18k -20k for material. 17k for labor? Nope.

I may be way off, but those numbers seem ridiculous. 

Basically I need two furnaces inside (one basement, one upstairs in the attic) and two AC units outside. Each furnace, on the cheap end of the estimated price for this unit, is $7,500 with labor. Each A/C is $11,500. Multiply each by two. Includes all installation, hauling away of old equipment, 36 months of bi-annual tune-ups, etc etc. I could go for cheaper units, and probably will, but having two of everything is the really painful part.

Basically I need two furnaces inside (one basement, one upstairs in the attic) and two AC units outside. Each furnace, on the cheap end of the estimated price for this unit, is $7,500 with labor. Each A/C is $11,500. Multiply each by two. Includes all installation, hauling away of old equipment, 36 months of bi-annual tune-ups, etc etc. I could go for cheaper units, and probably will, but having two of everything is the really painful part.

I feel you. The house I bought has duct work for ac on two of the three floors minus my master bedroom but has no ac unit connected. I’m basically going to have to either add ducting to the basement and bedroom or do ductless there and then get a unit for each of the other two floors since they’re apparently not connected. All this after I redo the roof this summer.

Make It Rain Reaction GIF

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

I feel you. The house I bought has duct work for ac on two of the three floors minus my master bedroom but has no ac unit connected. I’m basically going to have to either add ducting to the basement and bedroom or do ductless there and then get a unit for each of the other two floors since they’re apparently not connected. All this after I redo the roof this summer.

Make It Rain Reaction GIF

I know man. I just switched jobs and had an influx of cash..and it's gone. And I didn't even spend it on this HVAC stuff! Gonna take a couple years to recoup. Hope nothing breaks until then 😬

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

New HVAC is a fun and joyous part of being a homeowner, right? Furnace and A/C units are all hitting their 15th year in service.

My furnace crapped out after about 10 years. My AC was actually 27 years old, and was working fine. But we replaced both when the furnace went because we figured why wait until the AC died (which, after 27 years, could happen at any moment). 

I guess that turned out to be the smart move considering the quotes you're getting. We did this in 2020, right before the pandemic, and it cost $10k all told. 

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

First world problems, eh?

I’ve racked up so much debt since my divorce that I had to take a loan out on my 401k. 

Sorry to Phil, I have to cancel my BSBH sub

Edited by phillyb
  • LMFAO 1

3 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I don't understand the need for 2 of each unit though. 2500 square feet is a nice size, but 2 furnaces? 2 condensers? That's overkill IMO. That's your current set up?  

I asked but maybe you missed it. Is this a forced air heating system or do you have baseboard? I ask because people often accidentally call their boiler a furnace vice-versa. 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't understand the need for 2 of each unit though. 2500 square feet is a nice size, but 2 furnaces? 2 condensers? That's overkill IMO. That's your current set up?  

I asked but maybe you missed it. Is this a forced air heating system or do you have baseboard? I ask because people often accidentally call their boiler a furnace vice-versa. 

Yes, my current setup is two of each. None of this is new, it's all in the existing part of the townhouse since it was built in '07. It would be replacing existing, aging units 1 for 1.

I'm forced air, not baseboard

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • TroCheckmark 1

When I first bought my house, I was so fucking nervous. I texted my friend who has owned his house for about a decade. I'm like, "BRO, i'm so fucking scared. Like...I have NO idea what I'm doing" and he gave me such good advice, "None of us do."

It actually calmed me the fuck down and now I just take shit in stride. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, phillyb said:

When I first bought my house, I was so fucking nervous. I texted my friend who has owned his house for about a decade. I'm like, "BRO, i'm so fucking scared. Like...I have NO idea what I'm doing" and he gave me such good advice, "None of us do."

It actually calmed me the fuck down and now I just take shit in stride. 

Thankfully my father in law knows what he’s doing otherwise this renovation would have been minimal lol

• 2 weeks later...

Note to self to not be a fucking dipshit and pay a tax bill that your loan servicer is taking care of through escrow 🤬

Recently bought a house? Yeah, your home loan calculates your tax already into your monthly payment.