• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Doubtful Spooner is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans

Phil

But isn't that really just speculation? They could have signed him to a PTO to do that. And Chytil was never pegged for the NHL, it's more likely that Mazanec was the player they had for Chytil in the AHL.

That stuff just doesn't happen at the NHL level. Roster spots are too precious.

Yes roster spots are precious, but we're talking about the backup goalie. I couldn't find a list of the other available backups at the time, but was there anyone significantly better then Pav? Same with Names. People are talking like Names is some guy the plucked off the street in Russia just for the hell of it. He's an NHL player and still has to preform. The fact he's Russian is a bonus.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don’t know what hole he fills when like you said they slready have spooner, Hayes, etc.

This snowballed also for a reason to why the rangers expanded the trade in the first place.

That was discussing contracts.

And maybe a hole from Miller... Nash... Grabner, Zuccarello if he gets trade, Paul Carey, Cody McLeod maybe...

The entire roster is a hole, what are you looking at, exactly, to where we are set??

I don’t know what hole he fills when like you said they slready have spooner, Hayes, etc.

This snowballed also for a reason to why the rangers expanded the trade in the first place.

I think you're still assuming the expansion of the trade was JT for Names straight up. If there was a reason JT and Names were eventually included, it had nothing to do with Buch or Russia. That's just an added benefit they can take advantage of.

And even if you view Hayes, Spooner, and Names as filling the same hole, there is nothing wrong with competition during the rebuild. Although I doubt all three are here come October.

I agree that mcd needed to be traded but it could have happened in the off season. As far as the prospects go it seems to me we asked for about 4-6 guys and were told no and we settled on what we got and yzerman made it sound like we were taking his first born. That said I have no problem with the return on mcd. Maybe our scouts are right and I will let that pan out over time. The miller/Namestnikov part was awful from day 1 and will grow worse by the day. I don’t want to be accused of Monday morning quarterbacking so I’m calling it as it so obviously to me anyway see it.

Yzerman is very cagey. He is patient, as he demonstrated with Martin St Louis, Druin and in holding-out to the last minute in this deal. He likely found it easy to express inseparable love for every one of the prospects we inquired about. Beyond, Point or Gourde, he established Sergachev and later Foote as non-starters. In retrospect, it appears Stevie felt Howden, their 1st, plus another decent piece would be enough for McD. Or at least that was his pitch to NY mgmt.

This was impressive and here's why. While in Florida for well over a month this winter, Yzerman made it clear that he was committed to go all-in for the Cup. The implied backstory was the Cup window is this year and next. That the current roster gets broken-up (due to contracts and cap) after that.

So with everyone knowing he wants to make deadline additions, particularly on D, Yzerman still manages to convey to the Rangers that he could live w/o doing a deal until the final hours. Tells me this guy is playing high level chess.

My takeaway? A deal for McD was gonna get done. Yet, Miller did not have to move at the deadline. The inclusion seems more rushed, more questionable, and less strategic.

I did wanted Howden and their #1, plus I'm optimistic about Hajek. Unfortunately, I think we could have gotten all 3 assets for McD, but we'll never know. Glad we have them. Yzerman's cageyness combined with the Rangers rush to move on from JT, probably got Tampa Miller at a bargain. Not prying Katchouk or Raddysh away, instead of the conditional pick was a missed opportunity. We won't be able to judge this trade for a few years.

One last point. Watching so many Tampa games this year, I was impressed with Names. Thought that article I posted was a good take on the quality of his game. However, he was often on a line with Stamkos and Kuch. He is definitely better than he showed here in that mess. Anyone who does not get traded and makes it to camp gets a fresh start from the new coach (and me). Then after a few months (in most cases) we can determine if and how a player fits going forward.

This isn?t the late 80?s when a player was smuggled out of a hotel and left behind his wife and kids not knowing if he?s ever see them again or if his actions may inflict harm on them.

Today we must be concerned with his feelings. The multimillion dollars are not enough. So J.T. miller was a locker room problem but this isn?t? Of course this is all made up crap by people here but if it was even close to true I trade him immediately.

He wasn?t a problem, you and I went over that. I?m responding to this because I was the one giving the information and I don?t want it to seem that I said he was a problem.

He wasn’t a problem, you and I went over that. I’m responding to this because I was the one giving the information and I don’t want it to seem that I said he was a problem.

I thought his attitude or something with his personality has grown tiresome? Problem is overstating it? They moved on from him because of?

Weird that you bring up Kucherov. I wonder if Yzerman ever had any experiences where a team tried to establish a welcoming culture for their players, and if he ever tried that strategy...

no I think he's one of the best GMs in the league and as a result his only priority is bringing in the best players possible rather than what language they speak.

But isn't that really just speculation? They could have signed him to a PTO to do that. And Chytil was never pegged for the NHL, it's more likely that Mazanec was the player they had for Chytil in the AHL.

That stuff just doesn't happen at the NHL level. Roster spots are too precious.

This is correct. Mazanec was brought in more so to stabilize the tire fire that was Hartford's goaltending situation until Gerogiev found his game. The fact that he was Czech was an added benefit. Are there a bunch of Czechs I'd draft this year? Sure, but not purely to make Chytil more comfortable. Look at Chytil and Andersson. They're best buds and neither is from the same country. There's not remotely any commonality in their language.

I don't see any merit to the Buchnevich and adding Russians thing though. When was the last time that actually happened? Jagr? Buch was brought in and spent plenty of time adjusting with a host family here in the US and I'm sure he can always look to Nikolai Bobrov for things if need be.

Yes roster spots are precious, but we're talking about the backup goalie. I couldn't find a list of the other available backups at the time, but was there anyone significantly better then Pav? Same with Names. People are talking like Names is some guy the plucked off the street in Russia just for the hell of it. He's an NHL player and still has to preform. The fact he's Russian is a bonus.

Yea, I'm not sure the point you're trying to make with this particular post, I'm just saying it's a huge reach to say they signed Pav because he's Czech. Your original post was that it was an instance where they signed on guy to make another guy comfortable. Last time I saw that happen with signing Nylander because Jagr liked him.

I thought his attitude or something with his personality has grown tiresome? Problem is overstating it? They moved on from him because of?

Right, not a problem or cancer.

AV was going no matter what, so he wasn’t moved because of his relationship with the coach. He also had his issues with Torts. You know as well as I do, even if we don’t like coach A or B, you can’t be the common denominator in every situation. Gotta look in the mirror at some point. Tbh, it seems like it’s just a weird situation all around. Lol

Yea, I'm not sure the point you're trying to make with this particular post, I'm just saying it's a huge reach to say they signed Pav because he's Czech. Your original post was that it was an instance where they signed on guy to make another guy comfortable. Last time I saw that happen with signing Nylander because Jagr liked him.

At least it wasnt Robert Lang.

I dont remember that. I remember thinking - why tf are they signing this guy right before the lockout?

Just last year the Rangers drafted Chytil, then signed Pavelec. The only player that could speak Czech to Chytil during all the summer camps...

Reach. Chytil wasn't a lock to make the roster, and im not sure they were positive that he'd want to play in the AHL. Pav was more like the best option out there, as the Rangers were supposed to be looking for a goalie to cut back Lundqvists games played once again.

Infact they were surprised that the language was a barrier, but it was only during video that it seemed like he would get confused.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-giving-czech-teenager-filip-chytil-a-look-1.14224772

Reach. Chytil wasn't a lock to make the roster, and im not sure they were positive that he'd want to play in the AHL. Pav was more like the best option out there, as the Rangers were supposed to be looking for a goalie to cut back Lundqvists games played once again.

Infact they were surprised that the language was a barrier, but it was only during video that it seemed like he would get confused.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-giving-czech-teenager-filip-chytil-a-look-1.14224772

Pav was the best option out there? Come on, that's not even remotely true. He couldn't even hold down his job in Winnipeg. He had a .888 SV% and a 3.55 GAA last season and spent time in the A. He has a career save percentage of .907. He doesn't remotely have a reputation of stability. He was regarded as a project for Benoit Allaire. There were plenty of better options available such as McElhinney, Johnson, Bernier, Miller, etc. via free agency and likely others that could've been acquired via trade. Don't make things up.

Pav was the best option out there? Come on, that's not even remotely true. He couldn't even hold down his job in Winnipeg. He had a .888 SV% and a 3.55 GAA last season and spent time in the A. He has a career save percentage of .907. He doesn't remotely have a reputation of stability. He was regarded as a project for Benoit Allaire. There were plenty of better options available such as McElhinney, Johnson, Bernier, Miller, etc. via free agency and likely others that could've been acquired via trade. Don't make things up.

Pav is the poster boy for a backup There maybe better options but at the price he worked for them. Under no circumstances was he brought here for chytil. Chytil was supposed to stay in his Czech league all season.

Guy was a starter up until last year. Id STILL sign him over the guys you named.The only available goalie that may have been deemed better at the time was Elliot, who also lost his starting gig and fell off the planet. Yes, Pav was a project, just like the last 2 backups.

You just made up the thing about signing him to translate for Chytil. LoL.

What I said was matter of opinion. I didn't say that they signed him to be a starter or anything.

Guy was a starter up until last year. Id STILL sign him over the guys you named.The only available goalie that may have been deemed better at the time was Elliot, who also lost his starting gig and fell off the planet. Yes, Pav was a project, just like the last 2 backups.

You just made up the thing about signing him to translate for Chytil. LoL.

What I said was matter of opinion. I didn't say that they signed him to be a starter or anything.

So because he was a starter, mind you not a good one, he's one of the better options? I fail to see how that makes sense. Talbot wasn't a project, he was a prospect that rose through the ranks. Raanta had a poor first season and then bounced back for Chicago. He hasn't gone below a .919 SV% since.

I made up a thing about him signing to translate for Chytil? Where? I posted about Mazanec and said the exact opposite. Try reading my post fully.

I'd sign Pav for a mil. If at the end of training camp they decide that Georgie is ready and 25 games would be better for him than more in Hartford, they could probably trade Pav for 7th rounder or someone would take his modest contract off our hands on waivers. He had some excellent games last year. I was particularly impressed that he worked so hard to come back from being injured and look good after a long lay off.

Yzerman is very cagey. He is patient, as he demonstrated with Martin St Louis, Druin and in holding-out to the last minute in this deal. He likely found it easy to express inseparable love for every one of the prospects we inquired about. Beyond, Point or Gourde, he established Sergachev and later Foote as non-starters. In retrospect, it appears Stevie felt Howden, their 1st, plus another decent piece would be enough for McD. Or at least that was his pitch to NY mgmt.

This was impressive and here's why. While in Florida for well over a month this winter, Yzerman made it clear that he was committed to go all-in for the Cup. The implied backstory was the Cup window is this year and next. That the current roster gets broken-up (due to contracts and cap) after that.

So with everyone knowing he wants to make deadline additions, particularly on D, Yzerman still manages to convey to the Rangers that he could live w/o doing a deal until the final hours. Tells me this guy is playing high level chess.

My takeaway? A deal for McD was gonna get done. Yet, Miller did not have to move at the deadline. The inclusion seems more rushed, more questionable, and less strategic.

I did wanted Howden and their #1, plus I'm optimistic about Hajek. Unfortunately, I think we could have gotten all 3 assets for McD, but we'll never know. Glad we have them. Yzerman's cageyness combined with the Rangers rush to move on from JT, probably got Tampa Miller at a bargain. Not prying Katchouk or Raddysh away, instead of the conditional pick was a missed opportunity. We won't be able to judge this trade for a few years.

Very astute analysis. Yzerman proved better at the art of the deal in his deadline deals with us in 2014 and 2018 whatever the future holds for the prospects. When we make our next substantial trade, I hope it's not with him.

So because he was a starter, mind you not a good one, he's one of the better options? I fail to see how that makes sense. Talbot wasn't a project, he was a prospect that rose through the ranks. Raanta had a poor first season and then bounced back for Chicago. He hasn't gone below a .919 SV% since.

I made up a thing about him signing to translate for Chytil? Where? I posted about Mazanec and said the exact opposite. Try reading my post fully.

Sorry I confused your response with what LLTK said.

Anyway, Pav being a starter should carry some weight. Kinda hard to land an NHL starting gig. With the Rangers constantly claiming every year that they are going to cut back Lundqvists games played, I'd think they would want someone with experience, and the capability to possibly take over in case of injury. Add in how cheap he came and it makes sense to me. More so than the notion that he was signed to be a translator, which is what I was responding to...

IMO, Talbot seemed more like a product of Allaire. He seems to have hit a wall this year. I can agree with you that Raanta was always pretty good.

Archived