• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Doubtful Spooner is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans

Phil

His job isn’t like your job.

He doesn’t go home to family, friends, etc.

if you are expecting to develop this kid into something meaningful, you need to create a welcoming, enjoyable, and relaxing environment. What you see is .2% of his life, and 5% of his work life.

You are setting him up for failure if you just look at practices and games and think “he’s old enough”

I really think it's a reach. How many Swedes did the Rangers recruit when Lundqvist came here? Norwegians for Zucc?

I don't mind Buch at all, and am expecting a decent improvement this coming season, but I don't buy this notion that the Rangers are collecting Russians to make it an easy transition to the states. I'd imagine the Rangers have some sort of chaperone to hang out with foreign players.

I could totally be wrong. Just seems like it's a reach.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think it's a reach. How many Swedes did the Rangers recruit when Lundqvist came here? Norwegians for Zucc?

I don't mind Buch at all, and am expecting a decent improvement this coming season, but I don't buy this notion that the Rangers are collecting Russians to make it an easy transition to the states. I'd imagine the Rangers have some sort of chaperone to hang out with foreign players.

Nylander, Sjostrom, none (missed playoffs), Stralman, Hagelin

Wrong. It’s absolutely a buddy system when given the opportunity. Not saying a particular destination is the right fit just because your pal is there, but it’s something that plays a factor. It happens at EVERY level.

So two years later, they bring some players in? Why just for Russians?

So, is the Kovalchuk thing, more of a recruiting thing to lure their prospects here by next season? If so, wow.

Do we have to cater to Buch though? Is he that good.

Yeah obviously it's nice to have a guy that speaks the same language, but people thinking it's some kind of in, to lure other Russians here, I feel, is a reach.

I guess. He’s an investment. Take care of it. And it’s not like namestnikov cant play.

And obviously, it’s offseason talk. I think it helps having someone around. Doesn’t mean you don’t trade them if the price is right!

Do we have to cater to Buch though? Is he that good.

Yeah obviously it's nice to have a guy that speaks the same language, but people thinking it's some kind of in, to lure other Russians here, I feel, is a reach.

Again, I don't think it's some sort of recruiting thing like people are suggesting. I mean this was Buch's 2nd season. They just got a Russian now??? If it were this big deal, I'd think they would have gotten one or some to make him comfortable from the start. No? Well it is the Rangers... So maybe.

So, is the Kovalchuk thing, more of a recruiting thing to lure their prospects here by next season? If so, wow.

So, the Rangers are carting to Buch. Why are they doing that? He's not that good.

Why did they wait 2 years? Why not right from the start?

Maybe the fact they waited shows they weren't cratering to him, but cognizant of the situation.

And is the difference between coming from Russia or Sweden not obvious?

Nylander, Sjostrom, none (missed playoffs), Stralman, Hagelin

Seriously? Nylander was a Jagr guy. He was thrown away without a thought, I'd think Lundqvist would have been upset by that..

Sjostrom? Lol, he got here three years after Lundqvist.

Hagelin was here 5 years later. Stralman 8.

You would like to bring in enough players so that everyone is comfortable. Realistically, they're not going to waste a roster spot on doing that.

Again, Krieder and Zucc speak Russian.

Also, I know these guys sacrifice a lot. They also get paid a lot. Let's not act like they are sacrificing it for nothing. They have no problem cashing the paycheck and demanding top dollar, but then they say they're uncomfortable because they're far from home. Pick your poison.

I guess. He’s an investment. Take care of it. And it’s not like namestnikov cant play.

And obviously, it’s offseason talk. I think it helps having someone around. Doesn’t mean you don’t trade them if the price is right!

I'm really not into Namestnikov at all though, definitely not as a top 6 option... Kovalchuk though.....

Seriously? Nylander was a Jagr guy. He was thrown away without a thought, I'd think Lundqvist would have been upset by that..

Sjostrom? Lol, he got here three years after Lundqvist.

Hagelin was here 5 years later. Stralman 8.

That’s a timeline, dude.

So, the Rangers are carting to Buch. Why are they doing that? He's not that good.

Why did they wait 2 years? Why not right from the start?

Maybe the fact they waited shows they weren't cratering to him, but cognizant of the situation.

And is the difference between coming from Russia or Sweden not obvious?

As athletes? I'm not sure. Especially in NY, since NY does have Russian populated areas to soften the move.

I'm really not into Namestnikov at all though, definitely not as a top 6 option... Kovalchuk though.....

Like Miller, he can go up and down the lineup, any position. He’s slightly better defensively while lacking the physicality. I have no issues with him on the third line, if we have better players, as long as he’s paid accordingly.

That’s a timeline, dude.

But it doesn't lend anything to what I asked. They didn't bring in a cushion for Lundqvist to start his career and hold his hand.

I'm not trying to make a big deal about this. Sorry if it reads like I'm annoyed about the topic. I'm not. I like Buch. Hope this elevates his game.

You would like to bring in enough players so that everyone is comfortable. Realistically, they're not going to waste a roster spot on doing that.

Again, Krieder and Zucc speak Russian.

Also, I know these guys sacrifice a lot. They also get paid a lot. Let's not act like they are sacrificing it for nothing. They have no problem cashing the paycheck and demanding top dollar, but then they say they're uncomfortable because they're far from home. Pick your poison.

Yes, we know Krider can speak Russian. He can help explain things at practice. That is far different from having a native speaker who actually grew up in Russia to hang out with away from the rink. I can speak Spanish, but a native Spanish speaker and I wouldn't be able to have riveting convos on a Tuesday night.

And no one has said Buch complained. He chose to come here from the best team in the KHL didn't he? He chose to stay despite AV shuffling him throughout the line up didn't he? Doesn't change the fact that he finds comfort in having another Russian on the team, and him find comfort in having another Russian on the team doesn't mean he needs a babysitter...

6 out of 25 years is ~1/4 of his life, but either way, that's not how it works...

Although born in Voskresensk, Namestnikov moved to the United States when he was eight months old, settling in Salt Lake City, Utah, with his family. When he was eight, he returned to Voskresensk in Russia to hone his hockey skills, eventually playing in the Vysshaya Liga with Khimik Voskresensk at the age of 16.[2] He was eventually picked by the London Knights 20th overall in the 2010 Ontario Hockey League (OHL) entry draft,[3] and was also selected 11th overall in the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) draft by Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, but said, "I'm not going back there [Russia] to play."[4]

From his wiki page

Because no team is going to run out and make life easier for a player unless they’re a bonafide stud. It’s life, he has to get a little acclimated, but it helps having friends around.

My Dude, I gotta be brutally honest with you ... All of your thought process into how things work in hockey, are a reach. You?re assumptions are out there. You overthink a lot of shit. It?s not brain surgery. It?s hockey and life.

What do you do for a living? Because I can make you a shit load of money if you don’t care about that shit

I'm more than fine thanks as a VP of IT for S&P and somehow I get by managing multiple teams of global engineers that support all the data centers across/ IT infrastructure across the globe. Somehow I get by even though most of them only speak broken english or none in some cases and are multiple time zones away.

None of that matters, I think it's a huge mistake to cater to these guys especially a guy like Buch. If he needs a caddy off the ice to elevate his game I would rather he plays elsewhere.

My Dude, I gotta be brutally honest with you ... All of your thought process into how things work in hockey, are a reach. You’re assumptions are out there. You overthink a lot of shit. It’s not brain surgery. It’s hockey and life.

So you take a pot shot and skip the question about Kovalchuk, where I'm taking your word for it...

Didn’t realize that Namestnikov is the only Russian the rangers could bring in to make buch happy. Why not just order him a Russian bride and not trade one of your best young assets? Also it would free up a roster spot.

The Russian bride would come with no cap hit but we would have to insist to no sex before games. Of course we could bring back av and make his bride the new captain to lead a new era of giant vagina hockey.

So you take a pot shot and skip the question about Kovalchuk, where I'm taking your word for it...

I wasn’t taking a pot shot, I just think you over analyze every situation. Things aren’t that much different than you would normally expect. As far as Kovy, I have no idea what the main reason is. Guess? I think they believe he can still play and be a contributor to a quicker rebuild. He’s older, but the KHL game is all skill guys. No one is looking to kill each other. Same in other Euro leagues. NA hockey is a different game. That’s why some coaches aren’t that high on the young Euros being top selections.

Didn’t realize that Namestnikov is the only Russian the rangers could bring in to make buch happy. Why not just order him a Russian bride and not trade one of your best young assets? Also it would free up a roster spot.

The Russian bride would come with no cap hit but we would have to insist to no sex before games. Of course we could bring back av and make his bride the new captain to lead a new era of giant vagina hockey.

No sex before games is a myth. Get that kid laid.

Archived