• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Doubtful Spooner is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans

Phil

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, we know Krider can speak Russian. He can help explain things at practice. That is far different from having a native speaker who actually grew up in Russia to hang out with away from the rink. I can speak Spanish, but a native Spanish speaker and I wouldn't be able to have riveting convos on a Tuesday night.

And no one has said Buch complained. He chose to come here from the best team in the KHL didn't he? He chose to stay despite AV shuffling him throughout the line up didn't he? Doesn't change the fact that he finds comfort in having another Russian on the team, and him find comfort in having another Russian on the team doesn't mean he needs a babysitter...

Why do you feel like it's a personal assault on you if somebody tells Buch to man up a little bit?

Also thanks for explaining to me that someone who speaks Russian is not the same as someone who grew up in Russia I wouldn't have known that if you didn't tell me.

Point being it's asinine to think a professional sports team would waste a roster spot on a guy to hang out with another guy. Especially when that guy isn't very good and wouldn't be much of a mentor.

My Dude, I gotta be brutally honest with you ... All of your thought process into how things work in hockey, are a reach. You?re assumptions are out there. You overthink a lot of shit. It?s not brain surgery. It?s hockey and life.
I agree with this post overall, but not with its response to the previous post. Dude is Right. Professional sports teams do not waste roster spots on buddies in a cap league.

Especially when the buddies aren't very good at hockey.

I agree with this post overall, but not with its response to the previous post. Dude is Right. Professional sports teams do not waste roster spots on buddies in a cap league.

Especially when the buddies aren't very good at hockey.

If your “buddy” can play, they will sign or trade for them. I can give you 5 examples where I know it happened.

If your ?buddy? can play, they will sign or trade for them. I can give you 5 examples where I know it happened.
Right... If they can play... Which is exactly what I said. They're not going to waste a roster spot on somebody who shows nothing ... names showed nothing.

Right... If they can play... Which is exactly what I said. They're not going to waste a roster spot on somebody who shows nothing ... names showed nothing.

Oh, I don’t believe Names was traded for, or will be signed because of Buch. I was just saying in general.

Why do you feel like it's a personal assault on you if somebody tells Buch to man up a little bit?

Also thanks for explaining to me that someone who speaks Russian is not the same as someone who grew up in Russia I wouldn't have known that if you didn't tell me.

Point being it's asinine to think a professional sports team would waste a roster spot on a guy to hang out with another guy. Especially when that guy isn't very good and wouldn't be much of a mentor.

I don't. Thanks for your concern though.

Why does Buch need to man up? Again, he left the best team in the KHL come come here. He got sent to the AHL. Came back up. Dealt with AV moving him throughout the lineup and cutting his minutes. He didn't complain. He didn't go back to the KHL. He stayed here. Despite all that, saying that he is happy to have another Russian on the team means he's a whinny baby that needs to man up? Doesn't make sense.

If they are bringing in Kovalchuk on a short term deal at a reasonable price, and they want to keep Namestnikov around and play the two of them together with Buch, ok. There may be something to that. There?s a common language and hockey culture/style there.

But there?s no guarantee that works just because you put 3 Russians together on a line. There have been plenty of instances where that hasn?t worked.

5 different teams tried that same philosophy with Andrei Nazorov, who SJ drafted 10th overall one year I believe. They put him with Viktor Kozlov in SJ, Val Bure in CGY, Kovalenko and then Samsonov in Boston, and it didn?t work anywhere.

No guarantees on that.

Our Czechmates worked well for about a week and a half, long enough for the MSG Network to repeatedly bombard us with a promo of them walking around town together, giggling.

Exactly.

The desire to put the Europeans from any one particular country together simply because they’re from the same “school “ is understandable. And it does work phenomenally well at times. But it should be no deciding factor in acquiring a player, cause it fails to work at least as often it is successful.

And those commercials were very lame.

I wasn?t taking a pot shot, I just think you over analyze every situation. Things aren?t that much different than you would normally expect. As far as Kovy, I have no idea what the main reason is. Guess? I think they believe he can still play and be a contributor to a quicker rebuild. He?s older, but the KHL game is all skill guys. No one is looking to kill each other. Same in other Euro leagues. NA hockey is a different game. That?s why some coaches aren?t that high on the young Euros being top selections.

Here I am thinking I don't analyze enough. If I don't post a players corsi, or know a goalies sv% to the exact number, it's a travisty.

Obviously we saw Hayes recruit Vesey. So we do know some players reach out to others in an effort to help management.

The general idea of my post was to say, I don't think Names was traded here or will be kept here just for Buch, or to lure Rykov and the goalie or Kovalchuk and vice versa.

Do you have a recent example of when a team brought in a fellow countryman to help a kid settle in? I guess I never noticed it.

I don't. Thanks for your concern though.

Why does Buch need to man up? Again, he left the best team in the KHL come come here. He got sent to the AHL. Came back up. Dealt with AV moving him throughout the lineup and cutting his minutes. He didn't complain. He didn't go back to the KHL. He stayed here. Despite all that, saying that he is happy to have another Russian on the team means he's a whinny baby that needs to man up? Doesn't make sense.

All that...without a fellow Russian to help. I think he'll be OK of we lose Names.
Our Czechmates worked well for about a week and a half, long enough for the MSG Network to repeatedly bombard us with a promo of them walking around town together, giggling.
Was a little more than a week and a half...:)

This isn’t the late 80’s when a player was smuggled out of a hotel and left behind his wife and kids not knowing if he’s ever see them again or if his actions may inflict harm on them.

Today we must be concerned with his feelings. The multimillion dollars are not enough. So J.T. miller was a locker room problem but this isn’t? Of course this is all made up crap by people here but if it was even close to true I trade him immediately.

Exactly.

The desire to put the Europeans from any one particular country together simply because they’re from the same “school “ is understandable. And it does work phenomenally well at times. But it should be no deciding factor in acquiring a player, cause it fails to work at least as often it is successful.

And those commercials were very lame.

I don’t think anyone here said or thought players were brought together to necessarily play together.

Here I am thinking I don't analyze enough. If I don't post a players corsi, or know a goalies sv% to the exact number, it's a travisty.

Obviously we saw Hayes recruit Vesey. So we do know some players reach out to others in an effort to help management.

The general idea of my post was to say, I don't think Names was traded here or will be kept here just for Buch, or to lure Rykov and the goalie or Kovalchuk and vice versa.

Do you have a recent example of when a team brought in a fellow countryman to help a kid settle in? I guess I never noticed it.

1. I don’t think that’s true. It also depends on the context of the discussion. You’re also talking about certain people, because I still don’t know what corsi is.

2. Not sure if that’s true. Hayes isn’t really that guy a staff would approach in that regard. He was raw himself.

3. I don’t think that was the case either. I’m just saying it exists.

4. Honestly I’m not sure of anything recent. I’d have to ask around. I do know a few examples of guys trying to get their buddies to come, but opted not to. It was a few years ago though.

Did Buchnevich and Namestnikov even know each other before the trade? We?re they friends? Is this not just made up by boardom.

Of course... There are only 246 people in Russia.. They have to be besties.

This whole thing spiraled out of control because of one comment from Josh about Names speaking Russian.

I think we covered off on why that's not really a reason to keep a pretty average player.

Josh, you said in another thread to stay away from exactly the kind of deal Names will get. Why so enamored with a 3rd line player that we've got plenty of?

This whole thing spiraled out of control because of one comment from Josh about Names speaking Russian.

I think we covered off on why that's not really a reason to keep a pretty average player.

Josh, you said in another thread to stay away from exactly the kind of deal Names will get. Why so enamored with a 3rd line player that we've got plenty of?

I like parts of his game. I dont consider him a third liner, but he could play there if we have enough guys that bump him down.

He's had one season over 40 points. We should be able to keep it between 3.5 - 3.9 on a 1 or 2 year deal. Left him earn more for his next contract. If not, oh well.

We can't put Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov and Skjei all in that range. That's too many middle 6 guys taking up too much cap space.

Yes, here's how it started...

Dude: Russia connection is a reach.

Josh: Put yourself in Buch's shoes.

Me: I remember a quote that Buch was happy to have another Russian around.

Some how that turned into multiple pages of the Rangers catering to Buch, or targeting Names because he's Russian and Buch needed a baby sitter. Fact-Buch is (for now) a Rangers. Fact, Buch was happy when another Russian was in the line up. Let's leave it there.

Gonna be a long month+ till the draft...

Just last year the Rangers drafted Chytil, then signed Pavelec. The only player that could speak Czech to Chytil during all the summer camps...

I like parts of his game. I dont consider him a third liner, but he could play there if we have enough guys that bump him down.

He's had one season over 40 points. We should be able to keep it between 3.5 - 3.9 on a 1 or 2 year deal. Left him earn more for his next contract. If not, oh well.

We can't put Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov and Skjei all in that range. That's too many middle 6 guys taking up too much cap space.

See what I'm saying?

Just last year the Rangers drafted Chytil, then signed Pavelec. The only player that could speak Czech to Chytil during all the summer camps...

But isn't that really just speculation? They could have signed him to a PTO to do that. And Chytil was never pegged for the NHL, it's more likely that Mazanec was the player they had for Chytil in the AHL.

That stuff just doesn't happen at the NHL level. Roster spots are too precious.

Archived