• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2017-2018 ECF | Tampa Bay Rangers (A1) vs Washington Capitals (M1)

Who wins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Capitals in 4
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, my fondest memories this decade are post-Cally trade, the run in 2014 and then the next season. Guys like Richards, MSL, Boyle, Brassard. I remember being so happy for Richards winning the Cup again with the Hawks. The comeback in round 2 in 2014 vs. the Pens down 3-1 may be the height of my NYR euphoria this decade, shit was magical.

Agreed. Although the post-Cally memories are the more recent ones, the team really transformed into something more dynamic and interesting to watch for me over time (including and especially AV's first few years here - where offense seemed to flourish). Richards and MSL also gave it a type of leadership and character and a feel of a more serious contender that we hadn't seen in a long while. I maybe undervalued MSL at first, in that regard, but his contribution became more evident later on.

Again people overvaluing what McD is at this point.

You make a fair point. I think the consensus among many Rangers watchers -- esp. Larry Brooks -- was that his meteoric rise through 2014 or 2015 was the beginning of a rising crest instead of his plateau. We were so happy to have make a killing on the trade with Montreal that we just kept assuming he'd improve linearly and be a Top 3 Norris Finalist year after year.

He's a good defensman, but instead of a #1 on any team, he's often a #2 or even a #3.

Agreed. Although the post-Cally memories are the more recent ones, the team really transformed into something more dynamic and interesting to watch for me over time (including and especially AV's first few years here - where offense seemed to flourish). Richards and MSL also gave it a type of leadership and character and a feel of a more serious contender that we hadn't seen in a long while. I maybe undervalued MSL at first, in that regard, but his contribution became more evident later on.
And yet....and of course this is strictly conjecture -- if MSL's mother does not die (R.I.P.) who knows if the Rangers go down in 5 that year and their entire run during AV is one of mediocrity.

Callahan has been a nonfactor his enitre post ranger career outiside of a handful of games. To suggest he's even remotely responsible for anything Tampa is doing now is asinine.

I’m not sure I agree with that.

Callahan and his line were instrumental in shutting down the Bruins. They’re important pieces in the puzzle.

It's 31 picks better than the other option.

the condition is this season and next season, correct?

Correct and correct.

And to add to your point, pick 30 has yielded players like Rakell, Pearson, Hartman in consecutive years. Last year Tolvanen was #30 and he looks to be a stud already. Now look at pick #61 throughout the years. See the difference? It's significant. Better, look at the end of the 1st round and compare it to the players taken in the end of the 2nd. Meaningful difference.

I’m not sure I agree with that.

Callahan and his line were instrumental in shutting down the Bruins. They’re important pieces in the puzzle.

I'm proud of our ex-Rangers tonight ... and I enjoyed Callahan scoring a goal off his bum (license - it was some body part) the other day

but I still haven't forgotten that playoff series against the Bruins where Callahan and the Rangers were hopelessly ineffective.

One of the worst ranger squad fails I can remember. Callahan may have been the least of it, since Nash, Stepan were goats that year, and Richards and Tortorella were on the outs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/sports/hockey/bruins-eliminate-rangers-from-nhl-playoffs.html

I'm proud of our ex-Rangers tonight ... and I enjoyed Callahan scoring a goal off his bum (license - it was some body part) the other day

but I still haven't forgotten that playoff series against the Bruins where Callahan and the Rangers were hopelessly ineffective.

One of the worst ranger squad fails I can remember. Callahan may have been the least of it, since Nash, Stepan were goats that year, and Richards and Tortorella were on the outs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/sports/hockey/bruins-eliminate-rangers-from-nhl-playoffs.html

Bingo.

Callahan is the player you need for the playoffs...on your 4th line.

Problem is we had him on our 2nd line and TB is paying him like he deserves to be there.

Reminded my of a few games where the Rangers spent all their energy shooting blanks for an intense offensive period, came up empty ... and then came the storm.

That turned around quickly once the Caps got nasty and physical.

Hmmm.

Have they solved Tampa?

Or is it just a one-off desperate effort? Shows me you have to have skill, speed, anticipation, but also physical grit and tenacity to get all the way to the end.

That pick is annoying the shit outta me. My dad's a Tampa fan and after the CF in 2015 it is so damn hard to hope for them to win anything. I've also always been a huge Ovi fan. He's just too good to never win a cup and this looks like the best chance he will ever get, no Penguins, no Rangers(Lundqvist).

But Rangers is the only important team for me, so what benefits Rangers is what I will be hoping for. Three consecutive years with 2+ first rounders would get this rebuild done in no time. Sooo.. Go Bolts!

I just don’t see why any Rangers fan would want Tampa to lose

:+1:

To root for the Washington Capitals, I guess. But there is more to the story:

The truth has come to light and we have a double agent in our midst. Mr. Filip Kocherov, pretending to be an advocate to make the Rangers great again, fooled us all with his cover of wanting to tank all year for a proper rebuild. Yes people, we were played, it is all a ruse.

Well your cover is blown Kocherov. Your collusion with evil actors has been revealed and the cyber attacks against the good guys has now been revealed for what it is... propaganda.

Archived