• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nash for Picks in the 2018 Draft?

jsm7302

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see any 1-for-1 Miller for a center trade that makes the Rangers better. The only way you get better by moving Miller is bringing back a #1C, and those guys would a) require Miller +, b) be a major cap hit, c) make this team older.

A guy like RNH, Couture, or Bjugstad are nice pieces if you can add them to this lineup. They aren't good enough to move the needle if you're replacing Miller (or Zucc, Nash, Grabner for that matter).

I think we'd be better off both now and in the long run with a guy like Sam Reinhart, who I don't think would cost a current top-9 player. If you could get Reinhart for, say, DeAngelo and a mid-round pick, I'd pull the trigger. Kind of makes sense for both teams.

The premise assumes the Rangers have decided to trade Miller for the a C. If that is a given --- then who would this board want, someone realistic enough that the other team would consider? RNH and Bjustad might work. I just don't see the Sharks going for Couture without a sweetener that hurts us too much.

I agree, I'm not sure either player moves the needle enough, but it could make us a better team. One consideration, in general C's are more valuable and may give us more flexibility in the future. Trading Miller could be viewed as one of a series of trades over the next year or so.

Looks like Shatty's knee takes DeAngelo out of the trade picture for a bit.

The premise assumes the Rangers have decided to trade Miller for the a C. If that is a given --- then who would this board want, someone realistic enough that the other team would consider? RNH and Bjustad might work. I just don't see the Sharks going for Couture without a sweetener that hurts us too much.

This is what I'm responding to. None of those guys work because none of them are better than Miller.

This is what I'm responding to. None of those guys work because none of them are better than Miller.

I think RNH and Couture are probably better than Miller, but no point (or time) to debate it. Think Edm is dying for a good winger so they consider it strongly.

Here's an idea. We trade a UFA for a first and prospect Florida wants. Also trade DD for a 3rd. Then we send all those assets and Miller to them for Trocheck.

I don't see any 1-for-1 Miller for a center trade that makes the Rangers better. The only way you get better by moving Miller is bringing back a #1C, and those guys would a) require Miller +, b) be a major cap hit, c) make this team older.

A guy like RNH, Couture, or Bjugstad are nice pieces if you can add them to this lineup. They aren't good enough to move the needle if you're replacing Miller (or Zucc, Nash, Grabner for that matter).

I think we'd be better off both now and in the long run with a guy like Sam Reinhart, who I don't think would cost a current top-9 player. If you could get Reinhart for, say, DeAngelo and a mid-round pick, I'd pull the trigger. Kind of makes sense for both teams.

I don?t see how that makes sense for Buffalo.

Id actually move Hayes over Miller. One has to be moved either at the deadline or draft, no way we can afford to re-sign both this summer, and to me, Miller has more upside and is a smarter player. I would package Hayes in a deal for someone.

I agree, Miller has more upside.

I'd keep Hayes because he could be a solid 2/3C for the league. He's much more consistent than Miller, can play a sound defensive game, and puts up decent points. Not to mention, he helps with draws and continues to improve.

Additionally, you'll probably get more for Miller.

Yes but didn’t you list their pp as having the ability to get hot as one of things that made them a contender?

Yup. They do have the ability to get hot. They've had a much more effective PP in the past, before Shattenkirk.

I think RNH and Couture are probably better than Miller, but no point (or time) to debate it. Think Edm is dying for a good winger so they consider it strongly.

Here's an idea. We trade a UFA for a first and prospect Florida wants. Also trade DD for a 3rd. Then we send all those assets and Miller to them for Trocheck.

I'd rather have Miller than Trocheck lol

I'd say Couture is slightly better too, more of a goal scorer than Miller although Miller is the better set up man, but he's 4 years older and only has 1 year left on his deal. What do you then do with the 30 year old UFA? Miller is an RFA who you could lock up for the next 5 years. I wouldn't make that move.

Thanks King, great points given that contract info. Time flies, I thought Couture was locked up longer and a year or so younger. I should've looked it up. With that the case I think the Sharks strongly consider, but I back out.

Ok, it's Trocheck or bust. Puts the Nash for prospects debate to rest. We fill one of our two giant holes. Makes the team exciting now and in the future, w/o losing a big asset for nothing or quitting on the season. Fatty and Dude call a truce. Even Phil is happy, sorta.

Wait can we stop for a second, there is absolutely no way Florida is trading Trocheck for a winger unless they get a huge return. He's playing almost 22:00 a night for them. He also gets a good chunk of his points on the PP, but Zib already has the spot he would need to do that.

He wouldn't be nearly as productive here as there, and it would take a lot more than Miller to get him away from FLA.

Wait can we stop for a second, there is absolutely no way Florida is trading Trocheck for a winger unless they get a huge return. He's playing almost 22:00 a night for them. He also gets a good chunk of his points on the PP, but Zib already has the spot he would need to do that.

He wouldn't be nearly as productive here as there, and it would take a lot more than Miller to get him away from FLA.

Future you missed my proposal. See above. The proceeds from one of our UFAs (a 1st and top prospect Florida likes) + Miller. I was hoping that would tempt Florida. Trocheck is already a PPG player, great skater and is locked up cheap.

Future you missed my proposal. See above. The proceeds from one of our UFAs (a 1st and top prospect Florida likes) + Miller. I was hoping that would tempt Florida. Trocheck is already a PPG player, great skater and is locked up cheap.

I saw it, but that's way more expensive than the Rangers should give up for anyone realistic, especially Trocheck.

Miller+1st+3rd+prospect is something you'd go after Barkov with (actually I'd probably do that, lol), not Trocheck.

I saw it, but that's way more expensive than the Rangers should give up for anyone realistic, especially Trocheck.

Miller+1st+3rd+prospect is something you'd go after Barkov with (actually I'd probably do that, lol), not Trocheck.

Believe me I was thinking Barkov, but that wouldn't do it. Some think he will be among the top 5 Centers in the league, still. I'm not sure of that, but he may be untouchable as far as they are concerned.

Hey Dude, I second the points on Nash and our seasoned youth being a strength of the team.

To touch on this Miller idea, before it gets lost in the thread. Guys, let's assume mgmt is ready for a hockey trade (not deadline deal, but one designed to make both teams better) and wants to trade Miller for a true 2C with upside. A guy who would be here for a while, with a versatile 200' game, that fits well.

Let's hit the names Dude mentioned. Worst to first:

Galy - def not a C, too many character questions, awful D

Bozak - too old, never special. never trade Miller for him

Spezza - even older, was special, just was healthy scratch

Hanzal - done, bad back

Drouin - not a C, bad D, interesting idea as a wing for wing deal, doubt Habs do it. Instead they offer MaxPac. Bad for Rangers as he'll be a UFA soon.

Foligno - I just don't see the upside that would make me want to give up Miller's upside.

Jenner - hmm, need to look deeper. I've soured on him recently. Jenner has had injury problems and has underperformed expectations. There is upside. If healthy he'd bring something to the table. Obviously unlikely this year, but we've dealt with the Blue Jackets in the past.

Saad - pretty interesting idea. Doubt Toews gives his blessing though. They already regretted trading him once. Enough to overpay to get him back. They have to keep Saad for this season.

The only one that makes sense is RNH. Possible win-win deal. Edmonton is desperate for a wing who can score. The added potential of a seasoned strong guy who can play with McDavid instead of Maroon, is huge. Hate to give up Miller, but RNH would fill the 2C hole perfectly.

Allows the two kids to not have the pressure of the 2C job in their first year or two. If it turns out that we have a surplus of healthy top Centers in the future, either one moves to wing or you have the only currency that can net a #1 RHD.

Anyone see any Centers that you'd trade Miller for, that is a win-win?

Just want to remind you that I did say some of the names could cost less than Miller.

Drouin started the season at center, and I'm pretty sure Galchenyuk is a center.

Foligno I think has been put through the ringer by Torts and it has ruined his confidence. I seem to remember Foligno and Nash really chumming it up at the Allstars podium a few years ago. He brings a solid all around game and can play any forward position. Brings some missing grit and leadership.

RNH is definitely an interesting option. Just not crazy about the contract.

Why would he be available though? I think he's an alright player but is he more along the lines of being like Hayes? Meaning not quite a 2nd line center but a really good 3rd? Has his value dropped that badly? I'd trade for him just for the hell of it if it costs that little.

Archived