• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Could Add Buchnevich Late in Season; Graves, Drury Both Scouting in Russia

Phil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will agree that AV has been tough on some rookies (Kreider, Miller) but he hasn't been tough on others (Lindberg, Hayes, Fast) so I totally disagree with the "he prefers veterans" statement. I also don't understand the argument here anymore. Do you guys honestly think it's a bad idea to bring this guy here when his KHL season is over? What is the risk? Even if we bring him over and he is terrible in his own zone, he still practices with the team, adapts to North American ice, adapts to our culture, the team, blah blah blah.

By the way just for some statistical reference.

Zuccarello KHL - 44 GP - 11 G - 17 A - 28 PTS

Buchnevich KHL - 40 GP - 12 G - 17 A - 29 PTS

Zuccarello came and had 7 points in 12 playoff games for us that year. If I recall correctly it was actually a team best. Now these two aren't the same person but it's naive to think Buchnevich wouldn't add to our team.

I will agree that AV has been tough on some rookies (Kreider, Miller) but he hasn't been tough on others (Lindberg, Hayes, Fast) so I totally disagree with the "he prefers veterans" statement. I also don't understand the argument here anymore. Do you guys honestly think it's a bad idea to bring this guy here when his KHL season is over? What is the risk? Even if we bring him over and he is terrible in his own zone, he still practices with the team, adapts to North American ice, adapts to our culture, the team, blah blah blah.

Not sure why you're taking this as an argument. We're just stating what AV prefers. No one is saying it won't work, because no one has a crystal ball. We're adding the possible negative effects it can have if he's brought here and misses a few shifts. No every player has the same attitude, or psyche. From a few of his statements, he comes across as confident, which is good, but not being able to see the positive of playing in the A says something about his arrogance. He may step in and fit perfectly, but if management thought it was a sure thing, I think he would have been here by now.

By the way just for some statistical reference.

Zuccarello KHL - 44 GP - 11 G - 17 A - 28 PTS

Buchnevich KHL - 40 GP - 12 G - 17 A - 29 PTS

Zuccarello came and had 7 points in 12 playoff games for us that year. If I recall correctly it was actually a team best. Now these two aren't the same person but it's naive to think Buchnevich wouldn't add to our team.

What's naive is comparing 2 players khl numbers and how they'll translate into the NHL. In addition, Zuc had NHL regular season, and post season experience before that 1-6-7 point post season, which was good for 2nd behind Brassard 2-10-12.

They tried to get him here over the summer, he chose to stay in Russia. Also this whole AV prefers vets thing I simply don't agree with, it's no fact. There is actually proof to argue that you are wrong. See: Stempniak and Stoll

Stempniak and Stoll sucked. They had easy contracts to shed, without anymore potential as players. I think you need to understand how the game works. You don't cut Lindberg and Hayes for Stempniak and Stoll.

I clearly said these two aren't the same players but again chances are better than not this guy would add to our team. We need another dynamic on offense, we are too loaded with two way vanilla players. This guy will definitely add an offensive punch that we don't have now, and sorely lack in the playoffs.

Stempniak and Stoll sucked. They had easy contracts to shed, without anymore potential as players. I think you need to understand how the game works. You don't cut Lindberg and Hayes for Stempniak and Stoll.

I was simply showing you they got leapfrogged by rookies. Neither had to actually be traded or cut. They lost their spots to younger players/ rookies

I was simply showing you they got leapfrogged by rookies. Neither had to actually be traded or cut. They lost their spots to younger players/ rookies

I didn't say AV wanted to bomb the houses of all rookies, and behead them. It would make 0 sense to keep an aging vet with a cheap contract over a rookie with some good potential.

I clearly said these two aren't the same players but again chances are better than not this guy would add to our team. We need another dynamic on offense, we are too loaded with two way vanilla players. This guy will definitely add an offensive punch that we don't have now, and sorely lack in the playoffs.

He most likely will, no doubt. My point is that if he isn't playing correctly in all 3 zones, and he goes through some growing pains, he will sit. Question is: How will he handle that IF that's the case?

I'm not saying that, I'm just trying to say it's not some tangible fact that he prefers vets to rookies. It's an opinion, which I don't agree with. But I'm done arguing, I do see your points of the risks involved with bringing this kid here which are valid. I just think the potential impact he could have for us outweighs the negatives.

He most likely will, no doubt. My point is that if he isn't playing correctly in all 3 zones, and he goes through some growing pains, he will sit. Question is: How will he handle that IF that's the case?

He may not handle it well, but like I said above I would take the risk personally.

For the love of Pete (not you Pete), I just want somebody that'll shoot the fucking puck in the postseason. If we bring him over when his KHL season is done, I'd be totally fine with sheltered minutes and shifts. But I'd love to roll him out there on powerplays and set him up on one of the circles, just firing shots. I know it'll never happen, but this team is dying for a few players with a shoot first mentality.

It'd actually be pretty irresponsible to bring him right into the NHL with big expectations. It took Kreider like 2 years to recover from lightning in a bottle playoff success.

He still hasn't recovered

I would not compare Kreider with Buchnevich... Pavel, while not having Kreider's insane athleticism (almost all of which is wasted), is an infinitely smarter hockey player. Kreider was running on pure adrenaline. Plus, Kreider came from college. Buchenvich has almost 150 games of experience playing against grown ass men

I don't really know that anyone can speak to the intelligence of the player accurately without seeing him play a long stretch of games.

Especially games in the AHL, at least, which we know is far and away the best measuring stick to determine NHL compatibility.

For the love of Pete (not you Pete), I just want somebody that'll shoot the fucking puck in the postseason.

I can't rep u again so

:cheers:

If we bring him over when his KHL season is done, I'd be totally fine with sheltered minutes and shifts. But I'd love to roll him out there on powerplays and set him up on one of the circles, just firing shots. I know it'll never happen, but this team is dying for a few players with a shoot first mentality.

As long as some of the folks we have are playing like a pack of ambien-munching somnambulists, it sounds good to me.

Excepting forwards Miller, Zuccarrello, and Lindberg, (and well, even Rick Dash), whose efforts seem to be consistent and earnest.

:tweet: @HartnettHockey

#NYR prospect Pavel Buchnevich has signed a contract with SKA Saint Petersburg. Severstal received monetary compensation in exchange. #KHL

Pavel Buchnevich is now a member of a playoff-contending team in SKA Saint Petersburg. #KHL Gagarin Cup playoffs begin on February 21, 2016.

--

Hmmm, might want to check your Russian sources again, fellas. Or ask that random guy named Josh.

He's going to be playing with Kovalchuk. That's a pretty big opportunity for him if he's getting top minutes and powerplay time. There are plenty of former NHLers on that team plus Igor Shesterkin is on the team as well. I'm okay with him sticking around there if he's on a competitive team, learning from good players and actually getting a chance to show what he can do. I'd obviously prefer he'd be in the AHL, but we all know he's vehemently against that.

Archived