• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Could Add Buchnevich Late in Season; Graves, Drury Both Scouting in Russia

Phil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In his defense he has barely played so I wouldn't weigh a handful of games over all else he has done.

SKA wanted him to sign a deal to remain in the KHL and there's a chance refusing to do so has resulted in his use as an extra forward.

@IgorEronko: #SKA is going to offer Alexander Dergachyov 3 year deal, team's VP says they want to keep him as well as Pavel Buchnevich #LAKings #NYR #KHL

At the end of the day though still has to show what he can do on NA ice.

{edit} update of sorts, doesn't add much ... or rather, someone's opinion why Buchnevich should not be an option

I'm on the fence. On the one hand, I'd agree could be downside risky in various ways.

On the other, a bird in the hand is worth a lot more than waiting and taking one's chances; sometimes the opportunity disappears for whatever unforeseen reason.

Even if Buchnevich comes over for the final few rounds of the Stanley cup Playoffs, who knows if he would even be ready to perform at a high level. Sometimes it’s hard to make the transition from the larger KHL ice sheet to the North American rink and style of play. Thrusting a 20-year-old into the bright lights of Broadway during a playoff run may not be the best move for the team.

All in all, there are too many question marks surrounding Buchnevich’s status to rely on him for the remainder of this season. The Rangers should avoid acquiring a forward because they think Buchnevich will come over eventually. It’s too risky and too unlikely to rely on that. New York would be much better off making a bold move at the deadline than waiting on a Russian stud that may not show up this season.

Buchenvich will be a Ranger. Just give it more time.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/metropolitan/new-york-rangers/pavel-buchnevich-shouldnt-be-an-option-for-rangers/

So he's not even playing...He needs to get his ass to NA asap, AHL > KHL > Not playing at all.

This. But if I recall he has a bit of an attitude vis a vis playing in the AHL.

I just get impatient with waiting and frustrated seeing all these other teams and their talented Russians. Time we worked on developing ours.

If he comes to the Rangers, though, who sits? Glass? {EDIT -- that was then, much has changed}

Got less optimistic after reading this.

The incentive for SKA to not grant Buchnevich early release is two-fold. Severstal traded Buchnevich because they were out of the playoff picture and understood that his intention is to come to the Rangers. However, while, Severstal are a modest, low-budget team, SKA are the KHL's version of the Rangers or Maple Leafs; an historic team in a major, progressive city with incredible prestige and endless spending power. The team has already stated publicly that it will be making an effort to extend Buchnevich for next season, using the aforementioned qualities in an attempt to change his mind. Will it work? Likely not. But logistically, they have a better chance if they take the time to make a calculated pitch and let him think it over. In that case, they won't exactly be in a rush to cut bait.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2016/2/22/11079536/will-pavel-buchnevich-join-the-rangers-for-the-playoff-push

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived