• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Could Add Buchnevich Late in Season; Graves, Drury Both Scouting in Russia

Phil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Especially games in the AHL, at least, which we know is far and away the best measuring stick to determine NHL compatibility.

I will never buy into this. There are a ton of guys who play great hockeyin the A and can't make an NHL roster.

Donald Brashear scored 37 goals one year in the A.

I will never buy into this. There are a ton of guys who play great hockeyin the A and can't make an NHL roster.

Donald Brashear scored 37 goals one year in the A.

You misunderstood my point. I didn't say that AHL success guarantees NHL success. I said that the AHL is far and away the best barometer for determining NHL potential.

What makes him smarter? Says who? What are you basing that on? Highlight reels?

Have you not watched Kreider play? His whole game is skating in straight lines very fast. Buchnevich's vision on the ice / hockey smarts has been lauded by more than just myself... I don't think it's an outlandish statement at all.

You're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, which you seem to be very fond of doing.

Have you not watched Kreider play? His whole game is skating in straight lines very fast. Buchnevich's vision on the ice / hockey smarts has been lauded by more than just myself... I don't think it's an outlandish statement at all.

You're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, which you seem to be very fond of doing.

I'm asking how you know so much about a player who you haven't seen more than a few clips or games of.

But keep touting him. It worked with Duclair, right?

You misunderstood my point. I didn't say that AHL success guarantees NHL success. I said that the AHL is far and away the best barometer for determining NHL potential.

Is it really though? People talk about how KHL is pull of scrubs putting up big points, but no one mentions that that there are at least as many, if not more scrubs who dominate the AHL but can't stick in the NHL.

Can we at least agree that the KHL and AHL are the second and third best leagues in the world? Because they are. Sure it'd be nice if Pavel was lighting up the AHL, but let's not act like what he's doing is not impressive. Please name other 20 year old Russians that have led their teams in scoring that aren't in the NHL right now.

Is it really though? People talk about how KHL is pull of scrubs putting up big points, but no one mentions that that there are at least as many, if not more scrubs who dominate the AHL but can't stick in the NHL.

Can we at least agree that the KHL and AHL are the second and third best leagues in the world? Because they are. Sure it'd be nice if Pavel was lighting up the AHL, but let's not act like what he's doing is not impressive. Please name other 20 year old Russians that have led their teams in scoring that aren't in the NHL right now.

Yes, it is. It's the clearest comparable to the NHL game. It's played by predominantly North American players, on the same size rink with the same rules as the NHL (give or take a few).

It consistently, year-after-year, sends the greatest number of players to the NHL compared to any other league in the world.

I'm not worried about that. It'll likely go down. I want to see if his scoring goes off the map or if his points per minutes played stays consistent.

With it going down means he'd be playing on the lower lines, and we've seen that lower line players don't put up numbers in Europe/KHL. I'm not really worried about the actual numbers versus the quality of competition, environment and a playoff run will do to help his development. I would his numbers to decline if his role is changed from his old team's. Hopefully not to the point of being a non-factor.

With it going down means he'd be playing on the lower lines, and we've seen that lower line players don't put up numbers in Europe/KHL. I'm not really worried about the actual numbers versus the quality of competition, environment and a playoff run will do to help his development. I would his numbers to decline if his role is changed from his old team's. Hopefully not to the point of being a non-factor.

If his first team sucked, he's probably going to play with the same caliber players on the 2nd or 3rd line on this better team.

He may or may not get PP time.

It'll be interesting to see what his role is on a good team.

The KHL is really no barometer at all for NHL success.

If his first team sucked, he's probably going to play with the same caliber players on the 2nd or 3rd line on this better team.

He may or may not get PP time.

It'll be interesting to see what his role is on a good team.

The KHL is really no barometer at all for NHL success.

I completely agree with the last statement. I just think that playing on a winning team and making a deep playoff run, no matter the league, is good experience for a young player. I agree that it'll be interesting to see his role, and see how he responds to it.

No, I get the point. I don't agree with it.

It's a useful tool b/c it gets players acclimated to playing a professional, North American game. But as a measure of potential, it's not better than any other league, I don't think.

Serious question, as I'm not as up to date with this stuff as others ....

What players have been drafted into the NHL, shaped their game inthe K, then came to the NHL and have had success?

Basically every good Russian player.

Ovechkin, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Datsyuk, Malkin, Markov...and then there are, of course, lots of players from around the world who never touched the A, including Lundqvist, Leetch, Messier, Jagr, etc etc

Kucherov had been in NA for a long time.

In juniors though, he only played 17 games in the AHL....but he only played 33 games in juniors and just 26 in the KHL before that. I must be missing something because, if this page is right http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123889 he had almost no hockey under his belt before joining TB.

But you're right in that he didn't form his game in the KHL.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived