• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Didn't Nasri, RVP, Cesc, Sagna etc go for more than that? It was a few years ago and the market was completely different with significantly lower transfer fees, but surely some of them got over 30m even at that time?

Nasri and Cesc left in the same season for 27.5m Euro and 34m Euro respectively. Van Perise went to United for 31m Euro, and Sagna left on a free.

I'm pretty sure selling Partey for 40m Euros would be Arsenal's largest sale ever.

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

(All euros) RVP went for 30m, Nasri for 27.5m, Cesc 34m, Sagna left on a free

Just now, LindG1000 said:

Nasri and Cesc left in the same season for 27.5m Euro and 34m Euro respectively. Van Perise went to United for 31m Euro, and Sagna left on a free.

I'm pretty sure selling Partey for 40m Euros would be Arsenal's largest sale ever.

Thanks!

40m euros as the biggest sale is crazy. Especially when Arsenal have been "forced" to sell their best players numerous times between 2005-2020.

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Thanks!

40m euros as the biggest sale is crazy. Especially when Arsenal have been "forced" to sell their best players numerous times between 2005-2020.

It's kinda nuts, honestly, that we've never sold a player for more than 38m Euro (Oxlade Chamberlain). We didn't sell Auba, he left on a free. Same for Willian, same for David Luiz, same for Bellerin, Ozil, Mustafi, Ramsey, Welbeck, Rosicky....

we're bad at selling, I think.

12 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It's kinda nuts, honestly, that we've never sold a player for more than 38m Euro (Oxlade Chamberlain). We didn't sell Auba, he left on a free. Same for Willian, same for David Luiz, same for Bellerin, Ozil, Mustafi, Ramsey, Welbeck, Rosicky....

we're bad at selling, I think.

Haha true.

Good thing the Saudis are here. You'd never get even close to 40m for a 30 year old, semi injury-prone Thomas Partey from anyone else.

Same could be said about us. The Saudis are doing us a huge favor by taking a lot of our dead wood (with way too high salaries). I'll miss Kante, the rest - good riddance.

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Haha true.

Good thing the Saudis are here. You'd never get even close to 40m for a 30 year old, semi injury-prone Thomas Partey from anyone else.

Same could be said about us. The Saudis are doing us a huge favor by taking a lot of our dead wood (with way too high salaries). I'll miss Kante, the rest - good riddance.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/22/premier-league-chelsea-transfers-pif-clearlake-saudi-arabia/

Amusing that Chelsea's sell-off has teams demanding to know if the Saudis just own them.

• LOL 1

Overall I'm fine with the transfer, but man does it feel weird. Kind of like the Hank to Caps story. You can understand both the club and the players decision, but it's just not right at all. I wish Mount good health, but I won't cry if his United career goes the same way as Hank's time in Washington.

It felt worse watching Mata go to United, he had been my favorite player for a couple years and he was so loveable. Even losing Kovacic and Kante this summer hurts more on the pitch, but Mount was our poster boy, it wasn't supposed to end up like this.

Never felt this disconnected and apathetic towards the club before. It's not because of the 12th place, we finished 10th in 2016 and the following year I was at the Bridge more than 5 times, but right now I don't recognize the club anymore. New owner, new staff, new coaches, new players. We won the CL two years ago and almost the entire club has been changed since.

That was my little "rant". I guess you Arsenal fans have been through a lot of shit the last two decades so you won't shed a tear for me here lol. It's fun to see Arsenal back, I don't wish you anything well, but the PL was more entertaining during the Wenger years.

And to Keirik and the other United fans, I wish you nothing but bad luck and unfortune. Hopefully Money Mase won't have a long career with you lol.

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 12:58 PM, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Overall I'm fine with the transfer, but man does it feel weird. Kind of like the Hank to Caps story. You can understand both the club and the players decision, but it's just not right at all. I wish Mount good health, but I won't cry if his United career goes the same way as Hank's time in Washington.

It felt worse watching Mata go to United, he had been my favorite player for a couple years and he was so loveable. Even losing Kovacic and Kante this summer hurts more on the pitch, but Mount was our poster boy, it wasn't supposed to end up like this.

Never felt this disconnected and apathetic towards the club before. It's not because of the 12th place, we finished 10th in 2016 and the following year I was at the Bridge more than 5 times, but right now I don't recognize the club anymore. New owner, new staff, new coaches, new players. We won the CL two years ago and almost the entire club has been changed since.

That was my little "rant". I guess you Arsenal fans have been through a lot of shit the last two decades so you won't shed a tear for me here lol. It's fun to see Arsenal back, I don't wish you anything well, but the PL was more entertaining during the Wenger years.

And to Keirik and the other United fans, I wish you nothing but bad luck and unfortune. Hopefully Money Mase won't have a long career with you lol.

I’m just excited to see Mount play live next weekend. Should be fun! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

I’m just excited to see Mount play live next weekend. Should be fun! 

That's cool, have fun!

He made his "debut" here in Oslo last week. I did consider going to the game, but $100 for a ticket to watch Leeds reserves - United reserves in the middle of July wasn't very tempting. They will probably field a much stronger team for the game you're going to watch.

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

That's cool, have fun!

He made his "debut" here in Oslo last week. I did consider going to the game, but $100 for a ticket to watch Leeds reserves - United reserves in the middle of July wasn't very tempting. They will probably field a much stronger team for the game you're going to watch.

Premier League and high profile European teams have made a habit of playing something close to, if not their entire starting XI here in the USA as of late. City and Bayern both played their entire starting XI in Green Bay, Chelsea and Arsenal both played their entire starting XI in Orlando last year - I'm certain that Arsenal v United on Saturday will be both teams starting XI for at least half the game.

50 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

@Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc can I use you as my Nordic scout? NYCFC just signed Birk Risa from Molde.

I don't know too much about him to be fair. I know that he was seen as a big talent when he was younger. He has plenty of games for the U15 to U21 national teams, but still no senior debut, even though we are desperate for new CB's.

He's a fairly tall left footed centre back that's good with the ball. Molde usually plays with a back 3 and he usually played on the left side. I would say he's a traditional CB with better technique and passing skills. He likes to keep it simple, but he's also good at finding passes trough oppositions counter-press and he's calm under pressure. Solid defensively as well, good in the air and a great tackler.

Now keep in mind that this is compared to the Norwegian league. I'm sure the MLS is better, not sure how much tho, so it will be interesting to see how he adapts. I think the last player to go from Molde to MLS was Ola Kamara, and that turned out well.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Premier League and high profile European teams have made a habit of playing something close to, if not their entire starting XI here in the USA as of late. City and Bayern both played their entire starting XI in Green Bay, Chelsea and Arsenal both played their entire starting XI in Orlando last year - I'm certain that Arsenal v United on Saturday will be both teams starting XI for at least half the game.

True. United has played a few games in Oslo the last few years, but it's always the first pre-season game of the summer, usually before the main pre-season tour starts, so most of the stars are not even in the squad. They still sell out the [only] 25k stadium with ticket prices from 100-1000 dollars.

The US tours are usually the teams main (and only) pre-season tour, so it makes sense that they play stronger teams while getting ready for the season. It should be a fun game on Saturday, Mount vs Havertz lol.

This was the team that United played in the 2nd half against Leeds at Ullevål:

United: Kovar, Jurado, Fish, Bennett, Williams, Gore, Hansen-Aaroen, Savage (c), Emeran, Shoretire, Hugill.

Besides Williams, Shoretire and Hansen-Aarøen(Norwegian 18y old) I've never heard of anyone before. They would've had to pay me to go and watch that lol.

9 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I don't know too much about him to be fair. I know that he was seen as a big talent when he was younger. He has plenty of games for the U15 to U21 national teams, but still no senior debut, even though we are desperate for new CB's.

He's a fairly tall left footed centre back that's good with the ball. Molde usually plays with a back 3 and he usually played on the left side. I would say he's a traditional CB with better technique and passing skills. He likes to keep it simple, but he's also good at finding passes trough oppositions counter-press and he's calm under pressure. Solid defensively as well, good in the air and a great tackler.

Now keep in mind that this is compared to the Norwegian league. I'm sure the MLS is better, not sure how much tho, so it will be interesting to see how he adapts. I think the last player to go from Molde to MLS was Ola Kamara, and that turned out well.

I appreciate it! We originally got Alfaro for the LCB role from DC United and he just wasn't up to par and also a bit older (29). Not great with his feet, and we play a fluid game with lots of ball movement and possession. We've also been short on CBs in general and have been playing a RB and a CDM on our back line along with our last healthy CB. 

MLS has gotten pretty decent tbh, but I don't know anything about the Norwegian league or a comparison between the two.

37 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Ime fine seeing reserves and youth anyway. It’s just an easy chance to see them play locally. We are sitting 3 rows from the field behind United’s bench so it’ll be fun regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Ime fine seeing reserves and youth anyway. It’s just an easy chance to see them play locally. We are sitting 3 rows from the field behind United’s bench so it’ll be fun regardless. 

Oh, no, you're seeing a full-on Premier League game for at least the first half. The only frustrating thing for us was seeing Pablo Mari play at all. 

• Applause 1

That was fun to watch, granted you can see the quality of a well drilled Arteta team versus a bunch of good MLS players thrown onto the pitch together after 3 days of training. 

Adding Timber really adds a whole new element to the team. He plays the Zinchenko-role from the opposite side, which lets Tierney blast down the left. Gives a ton of variety for Arteta that I love.

I wouldn't mind trying to keep Balogun, but we also need the funds. His confidence is sky high and it's showing in his play. I think we need the depth after Jesus and Nketiah with the league, UCL, and the two cups to compete in. Trossard as a makeshift ST isn't my ideal solution.

Rice looked solid enough. It was late in the game so couldn't get a true read on him. Moved and owned the Partey-role, with slick one touch passes. But need to see more.

I still don't get the Vieira thing. I'm just not seeing the talent as an impact player.

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

That was fun to watch, granted you can see the quality of a well drilled Arteta team versus a bunch of good MLS players thrown onto the pitch together after 3 days of training. 

Adding Timber really adds a whole new element to the team. He plays the Zinchenko-role from the opposite side, which lets Tierney blast down the left. Gives a ton of variety for Arteta that I love.

I wouldn't mind trying to keep Balogun, but we also need the funds. His confidence is sky high and it's showing in his play. I think we need the depth after Jesus and Nketiah with the league, UCL, and the two cups to compete in. Trossard as a makeshift ST isn't my ideal solution.

Rice looked solid enough. It was late in the game so couldn't get a true read on him. Moved and owned the Partey-role, with slick one touch passes. But need to see more.

I still don't get the Vieira thing. I'm just not seeing the talent as an impact player.

I didn't watch but the scoreline said enough. 

I think the funds for Balogun help - there's a number of decent forward depth options out there that could be reasonably had. You don't need a world-class guy behind Jesus and Nketiah, you need a guy that can play Premier League striker when being served by world-class mids. They'd be fine with Zaha, who is currently on a free.

I also don't get Vieria. He's in need of a loan or two to meet team standards.