• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

11 hours ago, Keirik said:

remind me who won again? 

I’m not sure one game is a measure of anything. If we are going on that then I guess Brighton is a top 3 team this year? I wouldn’t call today lucky at all though. That’s a bit of a stretch. They aren’t a possession dominating team. They are a counter team. United will be fine. 

Well, the refs for your game were dropped next week because of the VAR indecision that would've resulted in you getting a (deserved) single point in all likelyhood.

Brighton tbh is a top-6 team, moreso than Spurs right now.

Your home record dating back to last season is amazing though

Chelsea finalize Caicedo, also getting Lavia and Olise. Can't even complain because they've also made 250mil in sales this window. Absolutely insane business. Makes me so jealous. We may get 40mil for Balogun from Monaco. We're gonna let Pepe leave on a free, while ManU somehow secures 10mil for Fred from a Turkish team. Somehow. 

8 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

No doubt they got lucky lol. Outplayed for most of the game (15-23 in goal attempts 3-6 in attempts on goal and 1.49 - 2.14 in xG). That combined with the missed obvious penalty United was lucky to get the 3 points. They didn't even deserve 1 lol.

Nope lol lol lol . United actually had more possession which they usually don’t even remotely try to have. Just because they parked the bus at the end doesn’t mean they were lucky to get even a point. That’s not how football works. Not their best game but that’s literally the best Wolves can play and United still won. 

I also love how this talk of the missed penalty call. It was a missed call. Correct. In like the 96th minute of a game that had no business having 7 minutes of added time. So Wolves were just as lucky to even be given so many minutes. No injuries, no real big time wasting. It’s plain stupid. I know this is a new initiative but it needs to actually make sense. 

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

Nope lol lol lol . United actually had more possession which they usually don’t even remotely try to have. Just because they parked the bus at the end doesn’t mean they were lucky to get even a point. That’s not how football works. Not their best game but that’s literally the best Wolves can play and United still won. 

I also love how this talk of the missed penalty call. It was a missed call. Correct. In like the 96th minute of a game that had no business having 7 minutes of added time. So Wolves were just as lucky to even be given so many minutes. No injuries, no real big time wasting. It’s plain stupid. I know this is a new initiative but it needs to actually make sense. 

lol come on. United wasn't even slightly lucky in that game? But Wolves were lucky because of 7 min added time?

There's new rules this year, kind of like what they did in the World Cup. There's supposed to be a lot more added time than before. There's been games so far with more than 10 minutes added time in the 1st half. There was nothing wrong with adding 7 minutes in that game.

And United having 51% possession doesn't change the fact that they got lucky lol. There's nothing wrong with being lucky from time to time, every team does that. It's actually a sign of strength in the squad that you manages to win on bad days. But we still need to call a spade a spade here.

19 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Chelsea finalize Caicedo, also getting Lavia and Olise. Can't even complain because they've also made 250mil in sales this window. Absolutely insane business. Makes me so jealous. We may get 40mil for Balogun from Monaco. We're gonna let Pepe leave on a free, while ManU somehow secures 10mil for Fred from a Turkish team. Somehow. 

I have no idea what's going on at the moment, but I'm loving it.

End of last season I was so apathetic, now I'm as excited as I've ever been. They're not just buying a lot of players, but they're buying young, very talented players that all meet certain criterias when it comes to technical and tactical abilities. This team is gonna be crazy in a few years.

The squad depth is ridiculous:

LB/RB: Chilwell, James, Gusto, Cucurella, Lewis Hall, Ian Maatsen

CB: Silva, Colwill, Disasi, Badiashile, Fofana, Chalobah

CM: Caicedo, Lavia, Enzo, Andrey Santos, Casadei

AM/W: Gallagher, Chukwuemeka, Nkunku, Mudryk, Sterling, Madueke (Olise soon)

S: Jackson, Broja, D.D Fofana

Silva is the only one over 30. Sterling is 28 (hopefully sold soon) and Nkunku and Disasi are 25. Everyone else is 23 or younger.

5 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

lol come on. United wasn't even slightly lucky in that game? But Wolves were lucky because of 7 min added time?

There's new rules this year, kind of like what they did in the World Cup. There's supposed to be a lot more added time than before. There's been games so far with more than 10 minutes added time in the 1st half. There was nothing wrong with adding 7 minutes in that game.

And United having 51% possession doesn't change the fact that they got lucky lol. There's nothing wrong with being lucky from time to time, every team does that. It's actually a sign of strength in the squad that you manages to win on bad days. But we still need to call a spade a spade here.

Never said there weren’t moments of luck. But that’s football. That doesn’t mean it’s “lol they didn’t even deserve one point.” That’s just wrong.  Very wrong.  And what other games have for added time has nothing to do with that game. There weren’t any major time issues all match. 7 minutes is not a normal amount. It’s an extended amount and unjustified considering what went on during the match.

the rest we will agree to disagree and move on. 

9 minutes ago, Keirik said:

That doesn’t mean it’s “lol they didn’t even deserve one point.” That’s just wrong.  Very wrong.

Obviously not very wrong when they were ahead on every stat (expect 1% less ball possession) and they got robbed of a penalty in stoppage time, but whatever.

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

There weren’t any major time issues all match. 7 minutes is not a normal amount. It’s an extended amount and unjustified considering what went on during the match.

That's why I mentioned the new rule. This is the new normal. That's also why I referenced other games, because in those games people also complained about "too much added time" based on what they used to believe would be the right amount.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Obviously not very wrong when they were ahead on every stat (expect 1% less ball possession) and they got robbed of a penalty in stoppage time, but whatever.

That's why I mentioned the new rule. This is the new normal. That's also why I referenced other games, because in those games people also complained about "too much added time" based on what they used to believe would be the right amount.

Well, I disagree with your opinion. But yeah lol lol lol whatever. Again, the new rule isn’t to add time for no reason. It’s to add time when it’s wasted, injuries, etc. there really wasn’t any. It’s not a new rule to arbitrarily add nearly 10 minutes (which is basically what it turned out to be). 

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well, I disagree with your opinion. But yeah lol lol lol whatever. Again, the new rule isn’t to add time for no reason. It’s to add time when it’s wasted, injuries, etc. there really wasn’t any. It’s not a new rule to arbitrarily add nearly 10 minutes (which is basically what it turned out to be). 

It's to add time for everything. Every time the ball is out of play, every few seconds used on time wasting. 7 minutes is the new 3-4 minutes.

2nd halves with 3 minute added time won't be no more. The normal will be around 6/7 minutes with a lot of games getting 10+ minutes if there's injuries, VAR stoppages etc.

It was exactly the same during the world cup. We got games with barely any injuries or longer stoppages that got close to 10 minutes of added time. It's how it should be, and it finally looks like the Prem is catching up.

5 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

It's to add time for everything. Every time the ball is out of play, every few seconds used on time wasting. 7 minutes is the new 3-4 minutes.

2nd halves with 3 minute added time won't be no more. The normal will be around 6/7 minutes with a lot of games getting 10+ minutes if there's injuries, VAR stoppages etc.

It was exactly the same during the world cup. We got games with barely any injuries or longer stoppages that got close to 10 minutes of added time. It's how it should be, and it finally looks like the Prem is catching up.

I know what time is added for. Im not new to the sport. But it doesn't mean every game gets 7+ minutes.  And lol at the "it finally looks linke the prem is catching up." No leagues before a year ago were regularly adding 7-10 minutes unless you mean lesser leagues. It's unnecessary. There are times that it is necessary, but not every single game. The world cup started this arbitrary fad. There are times it makes sense and there are times it most certainly doesn't. 

It always makes me laugh. Whenever United get a beneficial call, every other fan jumps up and down as if this doesn’t happen all around every league in every game.

hell, two years ago this was a good goal and cost United 2 points

244c3f946029991ec865391a95a90d8a.png

either way, it’s a long season for us to argue so many e agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

And Pepe’s first season was four years ago?

I just don't get where you're going with this. Cool, Antony hasn't lived up to the hype yet. He's also not 28 so he's got time to improve. 

Seems like a weird jab for no apparent reason. 

24 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I just don't get where you're going with this. Cool, Antony hasn't lived up to the hype yet. He's also not 28 so he's got time to improve. 

Seems like a weird jab for no apparent reason. 

I’ve just watched him for two games in a week, as well as last season, and I don’t get the hype.

Not jabbing at you specifically. I do feel like Pepe was immediately written off despite being halfway decent, and I don’t see a better player in Antony who has all this hype still

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I’ve just watched him for two games in a week, as well as last season, and I don’t get the hype.

Not jabbing at you specifically. I do feel like Pepe was immediately written off despite being halfway decent, and I don’t see a better player in Antony who has all this hype still

I do agree about Antony. I don’t get the hype either. He’s one footed and it’s not even a special one footed kind of guy. But I do think the EPL is the most difficult league to adjust to in the world. I’m not saying I’m confident he will ever excel, but his age still leaves plenty of time to adjust. I’m just not ready to get too conclusionary on him yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you guys have been paying attention to the bizarre scandal around Spains FA president?

He had the brilliant idea of kissing one of the players of the winning Women's World Cup team on the mouth and instead of taking the smart PR move of apologizing and lying low he has been doubling down since.

Aside from the usual whining about "woke cancel culture", we have the FA claiming the player agreed it was consensual - she immediately denied being involved in that statement and said it wasn't, the Presidents mother entering her local church claiming she would go on hunger strike over the unfair treatment of her son and now the FA petitioned UEFA to ban Spain from International competition due to government interference in FA matters (aka politicans calling for his resignation), a move clearly meant to scare politicians away from the holy cow of football.

FIFA meanwhile has issued a ban on him for now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/28/rfef-asks-uefa-to-suspend-spanish-teams-luis-rubiales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66637880

Edited by H-Dreamer

Yeah dude, this one is pretty cut and dry and the fact he continuously doubles and triples down is only digging his grave that much deeper. Spain was almost removed from European competitions over this. It's one egotistical dude who refuses to accept he was wrong and he's bringing others down with him. Hopefully it'll end before too many people get burned. The entire thing is pretty cringe.

The situation in itself isn't that big of a deal. Stupid move and he seems like a weird person, but he was hugging and kissing (on the cheek) all the players and no one seemed to bother. They love kissing each other in Spain (and France) lol. The problem is how he just can't read the room and refuses to apologies afterwards.

The right way to handle this would be if he said sorry in public and sorted it out with the player(s) in private, but he was too dumb to give the public the apology they feel they deserve and that's created this shitshow. Now his only option is to resign.

• Bullseye 3