• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

On 5/24/2023 at 12:53 PM, Cash or Czech said:

I've finally come to terms with the season. It really fucking sucks we couldn't keep it together at the end. Saliba's injury showed our lack of squad depth, and we lost form heading into some critical games. 2 points from Southampton, the bottle job against Everton after the World Cup, and that draw to West Ham really put us in the shitter. Man City roared back and haven't lost a game since February. Incredible form that no team on earth could keep pace with. Just goes to show you how difficult it truly is to win the Premier League when Man City exists.

I'm proud of the effort over the course of the season, and the performance of Saka along with the development and goalscoring abilities of Martinelli, Odegaard, and even Xhaka came through.

Big summer ahead of us. Looks like we may actually lose Xhaka to Germany, while Rice and Caiceido are high on the list of priorities. Adding them to a midfield of Odegaard, Partey, Jorginho, and Vieira makes us look even better. I still think we need a better backup striker than Nketiah, and I can't see us keeping Balogun (hope we sell high). Obviously a RCB to upgrade over Holding is important as well. Mavropanos might've actually been a good fit had we not moved on from him.

Really excited to finally play in the Champions League again. It's been so long.

Honestly...If you sat me down last August and told me we'd be in a spot where we'd hold first place for a good chunk of the season and falter down the stretch to finish 2nd...I'd probably have signed on the line. If you told me it was because Saliba became so critical to our success that an injury to him would do us in...I'd be even happier. Youth blossomed, older talent returned to form, we're back in the CL, and everyone's lining up to come to Arsenal again.

I think we're going to get 30M+ for each Xhaka and Balogun. I like that we kept Reiss Nelson, and I don't know if we need an upgrade on backup striker with him and with Nketiah in the folds. I do think we need a midfield that isn't so reliant on Partey being on form and I think Rice and Caicedo likely fix that. Even Rice and Gundogan would do the trick. 

Arteta's built something special here; the best is yet to come. 

8 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Inter Miami away ticket prices definitely just skyrocketed.

It's a shame NYCFC is having such a shit season. Has made it very unfun watching MLS lol

It's insane. I just tried to grab tickets for Inter v Orlando and they're 15x every other game.

I was super hyped to see Kaka play for Orlando. I'm 1000% going to get to an Inter Miami v Orlando game in the future. Maybe not this first one though.

31 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I’ll admit that I am a bit surprised the tourism ambassador for Saudi Arabia didn’t sign in Saudi Arabia. 

They've got the PGA tour, Cristiano Ronaldo, N'Golo Kante, and Karim Benzema for that now.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

I have no idea why we're spending so much on him, especially when Chelsea need to sell to be FFP compliant. But as long as it doesn't stop us from getting Rice, Timber, and our other targets it's fine.

@Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc where does Havertz best fit? He's not a true striker, not really a midfielder. Out wide maybe?

I think Chelsea used him out of position rather often. Havertz likes the false-nine role, which Arsenal will never do with their front three, so....

I think it's big money, but Havertz is a world-class talent and Arteta wouldn't make this move without a plan. I'd guess he's envisioned either as a complement to Odegaard for a higher-pressure offense or almost as City use Gundogan

I've had this pipe-dream that somehow Arsenal finds a way to land Mbappe since he's made it clear he doesnt want to stay in PSG. Contract up at the end of this season and PSG have said they won't lose him for nothing.

Apparently Wenger had met with him the last time he was available and he was close to picking arsenal but landed on PSG instead.

Not happening but i'll keep the dream going lol

I do like the Havertz signing though. He's shown lots of promise, a goal in the CL final. He'll give us some critical depth. Tough to win the league against the likes of City when the moment your starters dip in form or get hurt, you don't have anyone to step in for them

On 6/21/2023 at 3:32 PM, Cash or Czech said:

@Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc where does Havertz best fit? He's not a true striker, not really a midfielder. Out wide maybe?

The million dollar question when it comes to Havertz.

He's not a striker, although I think he in general did the job well when played there. His hold-up play is very good, he got a good touch and overall good technique. He lacks pace and finishing to be a good striker in the PL, but I still think he has potential to be a great player. If I was the coach I'd play him as a #10 or in a striker partnership with a faster player that can threaten the room behind the defenders (in a 4-4-1-1/3-5-1-1). If you have wingers like Salah/Mane/Vini (as in; world class wingers that likes to cut in and scores 20+ a season) he could probably work well as a false 9 too, but don't expect more than ~10 goals a season.

I think his biggest weakness might be his decision making. He can control a long ball with a perfect touch, dribble past a defender wonderfully just to do something completely stupid the next second. He'll wow you with his technique at times and he'll wow you with his incredibly stupid decisions at times.

If you want a Rangers comparable I've always thought of him as the football version of Kakko. Young, big body, great with the puck/ball on his stick/in his feet, likes to hold on to the puck/ball (maybe for too long), lacks speed and finishing, and frustrating in his decision making. I still like them both, but they're at an age where it's kinda "do or die". Both have the potential to be elite players, but times starting to run out.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Willock and Iwobi both got like 30m Euro. But yeah, that'd be our biggest transfer out fee in a long time, possibly ever.

Didn't Nasri, RVP, Cesc, Sagna etc go for more than that? It was a few years ago and the market was completely different with significantly lower transfer fees, but surely some of them got over 30m even at that time?

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Didn't Nasri, RVP, Cesc, Sagna etc go for more than that? It was a few years ago and the market was completely different with significantly lower transfer fees, but surely some of them got over 30m even at that time?

(All euros) RVP went for 30m, Nasri for 27.5m, Cesc 34m, Sagna left on a free

• Cheers 1