• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

1 hour ago, fletch said:

Yeah, I know models are meaningless to you, so I added some caveats in my posts.  Part of being a fan is believing, and you have every right to believe that Man U can win the Premier League this year.  I admitted that it was possible for Man U to win the title.   

Part of being an Arsenal fan (lately) is watching other teams win the Premier League.   I enjoyed when Leicester City won the title just because it was a break from Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, the usual suspects.  I just saw too many Alex Ferguson celebrations instead of Arsene Wenger celebrations.

One of the highest forms of respect is how much and how many people hate the New York Yankees. I don't hate Man U, but I don't want to see them celebrate anything more this year than a Champions League berth.

Fair point. I wasn’t necessarily trying to poo poo on any model as much as I’m saying that football is a strange sport compared to many others. Some of the toughest games occur in very different places than traditional North American sports. Especially later on seasons considering there is so much at stake whether it be top 4 or not being in the bottom three. 

gonna be a wild ride for the rest of the season for sure…

• TroCheckmark 1

Chelsea lose at Spurs. 31 points from 24 games. Was Tuchel really much worse?

Enzo looked pretty bad in the second half for Chelsea. Misplayed the clearance for Skipp's goal. Had some really poor passing on even simple balls across the pitch. Maybe he's just settling in, maybe he's feeling the pressure, but that was a bad showing.

18 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Chelsea lose at Spurs. 31 points from 24 games. Was Tuchel really much worse?

Enzo looked pretty bad in the second half for Chelsea. Misplayed the clearance for Skipp's goal. Had some really poor passing on even simple balls across the pitch. Maybe he's just settling in, maybe he's feeling the pressure, but that was a bad showing.

Of course Tuchel wasn't worse lol. He's a world class manager that got fired after a rough period of ~10 games because the owners wanted their own yes-man in charge. Now we allow this low-level manager to go 16 games with 2 wins and the owner "continues to back him and trusts the process".

This was my fear the moment Roman was forced to sell the Club. We've lost our identity and we're trying to be something we ain't.

Roman spent hundreds of millions on players for Lampard in the summer of 2020. After giving him some time he realized that Lamps was not the man for the job and fired him. A few months later we won the CL with the exact same squad, but a drastically better manager in Tuchel. Boehly is instead insisting on giving Potter a lot of time to fuck up the entire club.

2 wins in 16 games. 1 goal in the last 6 PL games. Last time we scored more than 2 goals was in early October. I've never seen a worse Chelsea team. No tactics, no plan, no passion or heart.

Chelsea have won the CL two times, 2012 and 2021. Both seasons they:

- Had a bad season and top 4 was at risk (in 2012 we ended 6th, in 2021 got 4th)

- Fired the manager during the season (Villas-Boas in 2012, replaced by interim-HC Di Matteo, Lampard in 2021, replaced by Tuchel)

There's no doubt the talent is there, but the coach is just totally lost. There's still something left to be salvaged this season, so please do the right thing now Boehly...

On 2/26/2023 at 1:36 PM, Keirik said:

Thanks! Glory glory man United! Wife and I watched the whole game together. Just nice to see a winning culture starting again even if it is just the Caribou cup lol. 

America Antlers GIF by Nat Geo Wild

Christian Eriksen left Tottenham, died and came back to life and, transferred again and won a trophy before Harry Kane won one. 

• LMFAO 2

My emotional arc during that match was almost comical.

Shocked, then frustrated, then annoyed, then frustrated again, then hopeful, then content, then a little bitter, then screaming the fuckin roof off.

Arsenal should have won that match by like 4, but 3 points are 3 points and that's a goddamn fun, dramatic way to get them.

• Believe 1

On 3/5/2023 at 2:20 AM, Keirik said:

My emotion was “fuck Arsenal lol”

can’t see you guys blowing this but there is something in me that can’t help think that this is a one and done type year. 

I'm not sure what makes you think that. All of our top players are 25 or under with the exception of our midfield (Saka is a wing, don't care what the position says). if this keeps, we're going to have a colossal cash infusion, we have bench players that should fetch quite a bit more in the transfer market that need to move on...

Arsenal look built for sustainable success for the first time in nearly 15 years.

• Bullseye 1

Reiss Nelson has played under 90 minutes total in the League this year and has 3 goals and 2 assists. He showed so much promise early and injuries kept him out, had some time on loan. He's ready to break out as well. We have a lot of depth, and its full of players who really want to be here. Saka didn't even entertain a thought of signing elsewhere. Our best players are signing long term deals and Arteta has shown himself to be an amazing manager. We are going to have some more sustained success. Of course, city will not go away, and other teams are on the upswing as well, but I don't think we're gonna sink back down at all.

I've watched that winning goal about 500 times it doesnt get old.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm not sure what makes you think that. All of our top players are 25 or under with the exception of our midfield (Saka is a wing, don't care what the position says). if this keeps, we're going to have a colossal cash infusion, we have bench players that should fetch quite a bit more in the transfer market that need to move on...

Arsenal look built for sustainable success for the first time in nearly 15 years.

Because there are 3 other teams in City, United, and Liverpool that are either on the way up, right there, or regrouping after a down year. Ths is a magical year for Arsenal but I just don't see this as the start of an Arsenal era of multiple uncontested titles. 

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Because there are 3 other teams in City, United, and Liverpool that are either on the way up, right there, or regrouping after a down year. Ths is a magical year for Arsenal but I just don't see this as the start of an Arsenal era of multiple uncontested titles

Oh, god no. That's just not a reality of the Premier League anymore. But the days of Arsenal as a top 4 also-ran are very much over to me.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

The biggest issue IMO is finding a suitable younger solution for Partey. Jorginho is older, and a decent stopgap but when Partey came back in the squad, the team stepped up a notch. He's just so good and it's finally evident why we were so insistent on bringing him in.

We'll be able to offset some of our spending with sales of Lokonga, Balogun, Tavares, and potentially Tierney. Then we can focus on a true backup to Zinchenko, and heir-apparent for Partey. Another striker would also be nice. 

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Oh, god no. That's just not a reality of the Premier League anymore. But the days of Arsenal as a top 4 also-ran are very much over to me.

Well, City has won the league 4 out of the last 5 years so there still is a bit of domination possible. 

9 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I doubt you'll see more of that, tbh, especially with City under FFP investigation 90% of the time.

Very true. Chelsea isn’t even in the mix yet despite spending like a drunken sailor in the last window.