• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

Tidy win by Arsenal this afternoon. Scoreline as expected, a few thoughts on some of our rotation players:

Sambi has come a long way from last season. Much more progressive, pushes the ball forward, crisper passes. No longer a passenger in the game, but also nowhere near Partey's level.

Vieira seems a nice skilled player with some instinct towards goal.

Marquinos needs to mature a little bit but has the skill and jam outside to be a good backup to Saka at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

No comment on the referee in yesterday's game huh? 😅

I mean the refs were pretty fucking awful all around but if you accept all that help for Chelsea’s wins, shouldn’t I be allowed to accept it for Arsenal? 😉

At least for Gabriel’s hand ball, another play was ruled similarly. And then another one was called off, because the reffing is “consistent”

38 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I mean the refs were pretty fucking awful all around but if you accept all that help for Chelsea’s wins, shouldn’t I be allowed to accept it for Arsenal? 😉

At least for Gabriel’s hand ball, another play was ruled similarly. And then another one was called off, because the reffing is “consistent”

Haha, just joking since you was so quick to come with a video the last time it was a questionable handball.

My (fairly unbiased) opinion is that I think the Gabriel situation should’ve been a pen, but that the handball rulles are so weird and inconsistent that it’s not really a huge controversy. I don’t think the Jesus pen was a pen, but I can see why it was given.

That said - Arsenal played amazing and deserved to win, and it’s always nice to see the scousers lose, so congrats and thanks on the win!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Haha, just joking since you was so quick to come with a video the last time it was a questionable handball.

My (fairly unbiased) opinion is that I think the Gabriel situation should’ve been a pen, but that the handball rulles are so weird and inconsistent that it’s not really a huge controversy. I don’t think the Jesus pen was a pen, but I can see why it was given.

That said - Arsenal played amazing and deserved to win, and it’s always nice to see the scousers lose, so congrats and thanks on the win!

I agree with you. His hand was in an unnatural position, should've been a pen. I've also been incredibly frustrated with Gabriel's play overall lately. Seems like his mistakes are the ones that end up in the back of the net. That left footed outlet pass is too good to sit him out though. Definitely a hot head that needs to mature, only 24 years old. 

What's the deal now with Pulisic? Tuchel didn't trust him, seems like Potter is putting him out there more. He gonna be more of a staple on the team sheet moving forward?

13 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I agree with you. His hand was in an unnatural position, should've been a pen. I've also been incredibly frustrated with Gabriel's play overall lately. Seems like his mistakes are the ones that end up in the back of the net. That left footed outlet pass is too good to sit him out though. Definitely a hot head that needs to mature, only 24 years old. 

What's the deal now with Pulisic? Tuchel didn't trust him, seems like Potter is putting him out there more. He gonna be more of a staple on the team sheet moving forward?

Yeah I think Gabriel can be really good. He definitely got all the «tools». Him and Saliba could be a really solid CB partnership, something that Arsenal has been lacking for way too long.

It’s only been 4 games and Potter has changed both the tactics and the starting XI in all of them, so it’s not easy to see just yet what his preferred lineup is. He’s certainly more a fan of the traditional winger liker Pulisic and Sterling than using players like Mount and Havertz on the wing like Tuchel did.

He had an assist for the 2-1 winner against Palace after being subbed on and scored a nice goal against Wolves when he got the start, so lets hope he can build on this and stay healthy for a longer period.

16 minutes ago, Keirik said:

How in the world was Gabriel Jesus allowed to continue on in Arsenals match? Dude was knocked out. 

Yeah that was so weird. Got knocked out so hard he laid on the grass for minutes and they let him continue? Even boxing got better routines than that lol.

And did you see he got knocked down again after that? Sandwiched between Van Dijk and Alisson lol.

Hate that the game was so good because I chose to watch Giants-Packers and flip Arsenal-Liverpool during commercials. Feel like I missed some controversy here, though...thrilled to take another win against a top team!

Arsenal passed the tests - putting three past Spurs and three past Liverpool and taking all six is a massive ask and they met the challenge. The schedule gets baby soft for a while too.

Loving this right now.

Bodo/Glimt at home are no joke. That arena sounded raucous the entire time. Glad we held on, cool to be the ones to break their streak of 14 straight home European wins. They had a ton of chances to tie the game up but couldn't capitalize. We were certainly on our heels at many times during the match.

19 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Bodo/Glimt at home are no joke. That arena sounded raucous the entire time. Glad we held on, cool to be the ones to break their streak of 14 straight home European wins. They had a ton of chances to tie the game up but couldn't capitalize. We were certainly on our heels at many times during the match.

Another impressive game by Bodø in Europe. Unfortunately they couldn't get a goal and a point, which I thought they deserved. Arsenal won on experience and a little bit of luck.

Arsenal just need to take care of business against PSV x2 now, then Bodø still has a chance to advance from the group.

5 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

As a neutral watching the game with two United fans that was hilarious. Don't think I've ever seen so many misses in a game before.

Shot attempts:

United 33 - 3 Omonia

United 1 FC Amonnia 0 lol

• LMFAO 1

Looks like they found enough evidence to finally charge Greenwood

Mason Greenwood has been charged with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.  

The Manchester United striker will appear at Greater Manchester Magistrates' Court on Monday after Greenwood's charges were authorised by The Crown Prosecution Service.

Janet Potter, the Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West, said:"The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

"All three counts relate to the same complainant.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12721254/mason-greenwood-charged-with-attempted-rape-engaging-in-controlling-and-coercive-behaviour-and-assault-occasioning-actual-bodily-harm

On 10/22/2022 at 6:05 PM, Keirik said:

United Chelsea very good game today. A bit surprised at the penalty since the clutching and grabbing is done on every single corner but still. 

And Arsenal didn't get that call THREE TIMES against Southampton for penalties and fouls. Shit, Lyanco grabbed Nketiah by the throat and only got a yellow, after elbowing Jesus earlier in the game and didn't get booked for violent conduct.

We still should have finished our chances and it we lost the 2 points, but the ref did us no favors. Worst refereeing I've seen all season so far.

• Keeps it 100 1

On 10/23/2022 at 12:05 AM, Keirik said:

United Chelsea very good game today. A bit surprised at the penalty since the clutching and grabbing is done on every single corner but still. 

Yeah I've seen a lot worse than that not being called. I think the reason the ref took exactly that one was because Broja was on his way to get to the ball. McTominay holds him back and then clears the ball. Most of the clutching and grabbing on corners happens away from the ball, but here McTominay arguably denied Broja a clear scoring chance.

I'm fucking sick of losing wins on some fluke headers in stoppage time. First against Spurs and now against United... I guess a draw was fair tho.

• Cheers 1