• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm just now catching up on this.

I don't know how you miss that call on the Havertz foul. The linesmen can and should have called it. It's so undeniable that the Spurs player literally stopped and then went "oh shit I DIDN'T foul him?" At the same time, it doesn't lead directly to the goal. Jorginho is a goddamn fool for playing with that ball, Cucurella should be rightfully questioned for why he went short with it in a high-pressure spot, and Hojbjerg (fuckin can't spell this dude's name ever) got pretty lucky that it even got through all those bodies.

The hair pulling....my biggest issue with that is that they did hold the set piece (purportedly) to look at whether or not Cucurella's hair was pulled. It was. No question. But again, Chelsea can't mark so poorly in the last minute and expect to get away with it against Spurs.  

Chelsea have a right to be upset with the ref. They absolutely should complain, because missed fouls of those magnitudes aren't acceptable when you have things like VAR and linesmen to confirm them. That right, however, does not extend to playing the game poorly because the ref is having a bad day. 

Pretty spot on. My issue in the first place is with the blame on Taylor. He was let down by thr linseman and VAR which was Mike Dean in that game. I forget which interview it was, but the info coming out is that the VAR sister deem it violent conduct and that was the ONLY credential that allowed them to have the review since a goal wasn't directly scored from that corner. 

Chelsea did let Tottenham back in that game as you said. It is what it is. It's a loophole I'm the game that I'm sure will be eventually closed. 

On 8/16/2022 at 12:18 AM, Keirik said:

Not following where this fits in here? Should we all start posting players feigning injury or doing stupid things? Who’s too young to remember a World Cup? Huh? 

Why are you so defensive in this thread? lol. I posted it the same day as the game, I would think that's highly relevant in the soccer thread? The "too young to remember" comment was aimed at Nunez since he's born in '99 and just headbutted a guy.

4 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Why are you so defensive in this thread? lol. I posted it the same day as the game, I would think that's highly relevant in the soccer thread? The "too young to remember" comment was aimed at Nunez since he's born in '99 and just headbutted a guy.

Defensive? Lol lol lol.  I’m not defensive in the thread. You’re reading way way too much into this. We’re all having a conversation that’s been going on fine.  Just seemed really out of place to bring up a foul in a different game and relate it to hair pulling.  Can we move past this now ?  

29 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Defensive? Lol lol lol.  I’m not defensive in the thread. You’re reading way way too much into this. We’re all having a conversation that’s been going on fine.  Just seemed really out of place to bring up a foul in a different game and relate it to hair pulling.  Can we move past this now ?  

I posted it right after the Liverpool game, I don't see how it's not relevant.

I said he should've pulled his hair (since that's apparently legal) instead of headbutting which everyone know is illegal. Call it a bad joke if you want.

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I posted it right after the Liverpool game, I don't see how it's not relevant.

I said he should've pulled his hair (since that's apparently legal) instead of headbutting which everyone know is illegal. Call it a bad joke if you want.

Sounds good. Moving on now….

things going from bad to worse for Ronaldo 

Cristiano Ronaldo: Man Utd forward cautioned by police for allegedly slapping boy's phone from his hand

Merseyside Police said in a statement: "We can confirm that a 37-year-old man voluntarily attended and was interviewed under caution in relation to an allegation of assault and criminal damage.

"The allegation relates to an incident following the Everton v Manchester United football match at Goodison Park on Saturday April 9.

"The matter has been dealt with by way of conditional caution. The matter has now concluded."

A caution is not a criminal conviction, acting more as a formal warning which can be used as evidence of bad character if the person goes to court for another crime in the future.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12675286/cristiano-ronaldo-man-utd-forward-cautioned-by-police-for-allegedly-slapping-boys-phone-from-his-hand

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

TBH I don't even think Fofana is that good. 

Seriously? I'm a huge fan. It's a gamble with his injury last season, but he's still just 21 and I think he's really good. I think he would be perfect in the back 3 with Koulibaly and Silva, with James and Cucurella as the wing-backs.. 🤤

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

60mil fee on a player worth around 36mil who's already 30 years old. Granted one of the top DMs in the world. Interested to see how he'll mesh with the room and on the pitch. Definitely a massive upgrade over FredTominay. 

It's a bit steep, but they had to fix that midfield. I seriously think they would struggle to finish top-8 with the midfield they've used the first two games. Casemiro is world class and will help them a lot, but as a 30 y old in a new country and new league while not speaking english, it could be a tough transition for him.

I'm really curious to see what Arsenal can do in the final moments of the window.

I think Pepe may be gone, which would be huge if only to get the wages off the books. I know they're linked with Neto and Tielemans, but I think Zinchenko and Xhaka have figured out a solid rotation at LCM/LB that makes a lot of sense for both players' strengths.

I'm starting to dream big about this squad. There's no good reason save injuries taking hold that they shouldn't be a top 4 finish, and bluntly, no good reason why they shouldn't win the Europa league. They feel a class above the entire field.

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Between this and Aubameyang, Chelsea really over-paying for players not worth anything near this and value they definitely won't recoup. 

Fofana is still 21, there’s a good chance he’s worth atleast the same in 6-7 years. Agree on Auba, but we’re desperate and need a striker. 15m ish is not a big deal, we sold Emerson for that amount today.

The Leeds game was another painful reminder that we need a CB and a striker.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Fofana is still 21, there’s a good chance he’s worth atleast the same in 6-7 years. Agree on Auba, but we’re desperate and need a striker. 15m ish is not a big deal, we sold Emerson for that amount today.

The Leeds game was another painful reminder that we need a CB and a striker.

70mil pounds would make him the 5th most expensive CB of all time, behind Harry McGuire (LMAO), Matthijs De Ligt, Virgil Van Dijk, and Lucas Hernandez.

More expensive than Ruben Dias, Aymeric Laporte, Ben White, John Stones, Jules Konde, Eder Militao...even if he's 21 he's not better than those players were when they transferred nor do I think he'll ever be that good. 

17 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

70mil pounds would make him the 5th most expensive CB of all time, behind Harry McGuire (LMAO), Matthijs De Ligt, Virgil Van Dijk, and Lucas Hernandez.

More expensive than Ruben Dias, Aymeric Laporte, Ben White, John Stones, Jules Konde, Eder Militao...even if he's 21 he's not better than those players were when they transferred nor do I think he'll ever be that good. 

They're all 3-4+ years older than him, so it's an unfair comparison. I also don't think the level between White and Fofana is much to talk about, they're on the same level and Fofana is 4 years younger.

Besides I was talking about getting the same amount (or more) for him in 5-6 years, that's totally possible, especially with the inflation in prices. City bought Stones for 60m as a 22 y old 6 years ago. 80m for 21y old Fofana today is basically the same transfer and Everton Stones vs Leicester Fofana is not much different. Maguire was 25y and cost 80m, White at 23 for almost 60m. Why can't Fofana be worth 70-80m as a 25y old when he's worth that (atleast to Chelsea) as a 21y old?