• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

26 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Nice to Liverpool having a bad start.

I cant believe no one tried to buy Mitrovic this summer, he’s so good. I would’ve taken him at Chelsea…

Outside of a tremendous offer, Fulham probs ly wasn’t selling Mitrovic since they just came back to the Premiership and I’d think they want to do everything to stay. 

23 minutes ago, Keirik said:

It’s one game. I’m not sure why anyone would think United was going to just magically all better first game of the season. 

Yeah, the first 10-15 games will look like this.

But I think that Martinez guy is gonna struggle playing CB in the PL, he’s just too small. Got bullied by Welback the entire game and he’s gonna go up against many better strikers than him.

They’ve just looked uninspired and sloppy no matter who the manager is. I get they’re all a bunch of individuals who can’t play together as a team, but the lack of cohesion especially on defense is shocking for some of the names in that squad. Also why put Eriksen as a false 9 instead of start CR7?

14 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

They’ve just looked uninspired and sloppy no matter who the manager is. I get they’re all a bunch of individuals who can’t play together as a team, but the lack of cohesion especially on defense is shocking for some of the names in that squad. Also why put Eriksen as a false 9 instead of start CR7?

This is why I say don’t just buy players. They don’t play as a team.

As for why not start Ronaldo. Not sure how closely you’ve been following United, but Ronaldo had publicly made it clear he doesn’t want to be there. He also left a preseason game early ( he wasn’t the only one) which didn’t sit well at all with management. I’m not even sure why he is even allowed to be with the club without apologizing to the club. 

Also, I still to this day do not understand why Harry Maguire is thr captain. Are they afraid stripping the captaincy will make his play worse? Is that even possible?

50 minutes ago, Keirik said:

This is why I say don’t just buy players. They don’t play as a team.

As for why not start Ronaldo. Not sure how closely you’ve been following United, but Ronaldo had publicly made it clear he doesn’t want to be there. He also left a preseason game early ( he wasn’t the only one) which didn’t sit well at all with management. I’m not even sure why he is even allowed to be with the club without apologizing to the club. 

Also, I still to this day do not understand why Harry Maguire is thr captain. Are they afraid stripping the captaincy will make his play worse? Is that even possible?

Maguire is dogshit. But they invested so much money in him plus the "England Tax" and all that, why not start Varane and Martinez? Team selection has to be a huge question, Ronaldo or not. You start both Fernandes and Eriksen? Rashford on the left is fine, but Elanga played well last season. Fred is god awful and Van De Beek has been waiting for a chance for so long, and is now under his former manager. It just seems like no matter who the manager is, maybe someone else supersedes decisions? I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to support ManU right now

26 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Maguire is dogshit. But they invested so much money in him plus the "England Tax" and all that, why not start Varane and Martinez? Team selection has to be a huge question, Ronaldo or not. You start both Fernandes and Eriksen? Rashford on the left is fine, but Elanga played well last season. Fred is god awful and Van De Beek has been waiting for a chance for so long, and is now under his former manager. It just seems like no matter who the manager is, maybe someone else supersedes decisions? I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to support ManU right now

It's one game so I'm not ready to panic yet. There isn't anyone else making lineup decisions. They just replaced their sporting director so Woodward is gone. It's going to take some time for Ten Hag to get to know his players. I agree with you about Fred but Van Der Beek just doesn't have the defensive work rate either to control anything. MaGuire need to go bye bye. I don't care how much they've invested. He's just not good enough at all. He doesn't work hard enough, isn't skilled enough, and doesn't lead a damn thing lol 

48 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Good. Sounds like 25-30m so thats 50-60% of what we gave for him, I consider that good business.

He was decent during our CL run so I’m not gonna hate on him, but it just didnt work. Good for him to go back home.

I'm truly jealous of the fees you get for a lot of your players. We're giving Torreira away for 7mil euros because he's a prick, sold Leno to Fulham for 3mil pounds, cancelling Bellerin's contract so he can leave on a free. 

Last season you guys made more in sales than what you spent on Lukaku. It didn't work out and this year you've got a big spending deficit, but this will help balance the books somewhat. I know you lost Rudiger and Christensen for free, but a lot of the time you guys just make good on those sales that Arsenal just can't.

15 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I'm truly jealous of the fees you get for a lot of your players. We're giving Torreira away for 7mil euros because he's a prick, sold Leno to Fulham for 3mil pounds, cancelling Bellerin's contract so he can leave on a free. 

Last season you guys made more in sales than what you spent on Lukaku. It didn't work out and this year you've got a big spending deficit, but this will help balance the books somewhat. I know you lost Rudiger and Christensen for free, but a lot of the time you guys just make good on those sales that Arsenal just can't.

It's been huge for us. As you said, last season we made more than £100m on selling players like Tomori, Abraham, Zouma etc.

It's been something the club has been working towards the last few years of Roman/Marina. They knew that the club needed to be economically sustainable somehow and that it couldn't live on Roman's pocket forever. Mainly they prioritized the academy and made it into one of the best in the world (During the last 3-4 years we've sold players like Tomori, Abraham, Aina, Guehi, Livramento, Tariq Lamptey and we have James, Mount, Gilmour, Gallagher, Broja in the squad), but they also implemented new transfer and signing criterias. We rarely bought players older than 28 and was mostly looking for U23 players with potential resale value (Oscar, Willian, Hazard De Bruyne, Schurrle, Salah to name a few). Not all went according to plan, but the strategy worked for the most part.

3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This season in the Norwegian league is so crazy. My local team (Lillestrøm) is fighting for the league title, was down 0-1 at home to Tromsø, when this happened in the 90th minute:

That's ludicrous! Unreal to see the keeper score like that.

As an aside, I don't know how Tromsø has a team. I know Norwegian pro sports isn't exactly swimming in cash, but surely athletes don't want to live in a cold, dark, frozen village 4 months of the year.

22 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I'm just maddened reading this.

Like, good on us for getting 10m or whatever we got for Guendouzi but you're absolutely right. We NEVER find a way to recoup value.

26 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

That's ludicrous! Unreal to see the keeper score like that.

As an aside, I don't know how Tromsø has a team. I know Norwegian pro sports isn't exactly swimming in cash, but surely athletes don't want to live in a cold, dark, frozen village 4 months of the year.

the weather sucks, but Tromsø is called «the nordic Paris» in Norway, so it’s not a problem to get people to live there honestly. I’ve never been there, but it’s a beautiful place and norwegians are used to cold weather.

The money is not very good, decent players got a little over average income, while the worst players and young players in the league can often have a below average income. The best players earn around $500-750k.

So most of the Tromsø players probably dont have any better options financially and I think most of them like to live there. The season is also played from March-Nov so you can get away before it gets really cold lol.