• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Walking Dead

Phil

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll just appoint another "moral compass", likely in Michonne, who it seems is going to take up that torch. They've done this on repeat since the first season. The moral compass just shifts from one character to the next, and it always lands on the character who is least interested in killing, as though that's actually an indication of morality in this realm (I'd argue it's not — rather it's an indication of weakness).

Rick, Hershel, Carol, Glenn, whomever. They've all carried it at some point or another. Some died, some haven't, some will soon enough.

I still maintain that if I'm dropped into this realm tomorrow, I'm gravitating toward someone like Rick (the pragmatist) well before I'm following the guy who can't even kill zombies (or doesn't want to), let alone those who are directly trying to harm me, or the people I care about.

I liked Tyreese a lot. He became very important to the group and really filled a right hand role for Rick at times. Having watched Talking Dead after the episode, Nicotero confirmed that the idea behind the episode was to make us feel like he could make it through. I thought it was a great episode. The visuals were fantastic and I loved the hallucinations.

They'll just appoint another "moral compass", likely in Michonne, who it seems is going to take up that torch. They've done this on repeat since the first season. The moral compass just shifts from one character to the next, and it always lands on the character who is least interested in killing, as though that's actually an indication of morality in this realm (I'd argue it's not — rather it's an indication of weakness).

Rick, Hershel, Carol, Glenn, whomever. They've all carried it at some point or another. Some died, some haven't, some will soon enough.

I still maintain that if I'm dropped into this realm tomorrow, I'm gravitating toward someone like Rick (the pragmatist) well before I'm following the guy who can't even kill zombies (or doesn't want to), let alone those who are directly trying to harm me, or the people I care about.

I don't think it has to be either.

You are right, this isn't a new plot twist type of thing, but I don't think that means he wasn't important to the group and to the overall story.

Tyresse was of value as a right-hand man when he still had interest in being that man. That changed over the last season, plus. It changed as things at the prison broke down and eventually exploded. He became less and less dependable as time went on, and only really seemed to be there in spirit maybe half the time.

Tyresse was of value as a right-hand man when he still had interest in being that man. That changed over the last season, plus. It changed as things at the prison broke down and eventually exploded. He became less and less dependable as time went on, and only really seemed to be there in spirit maybe half the time.

except when it comes to saving Judith

I told you guys the Governer was alive. You think he was the one who firebombed the village?

:rofl:

I don't think it has to be either.

The morality of the realm they live in is not the same as the morality we have right now. Killing in that world is a necessary evil. The Governor had to die, for example. Had to. There's no two ways about it. There's no talking him down or living in the same world he inhabits because his goal in life (by that point) was killing the group. He had no intentions whatsoever of co-existing, so in the you-or-me scenario, a logical mind will always pick yourself. Always.

What I'm trying to say here is that in that world, you simply have to accept and be willing to kill to protect yourself and those you love. The moment you stop is the moment you become the weakest link in a group. It's why even the children must learn to. When someone like Tyresse fails to do these very basic tasks, even when they are absolutely required (like killing zombies), he's a hinderance to the group, not a benefit to it. There's no value in his "humanity" at that point, because you aren't killing human beings when you kill zombies — you are killing mindless monsters in the shell of a human body who you cannot reason with. It's one thing to argue over the merits of killing other human beings, but once you've made the decision you can't even kill walkers, you are of no use to the group. You're dead weight. Literally.

You are right, this isn't a new plot twist type of thing, but I don't think that means he wasn't important to the group and to the overall story.

Past-tense, yes. Was. As in is no longer, and not just because he died. I don't think people will miss him nearly as much as they did/do Beth or Hershel, and I think the group will actually survive his death with so much more ease than they did Hershel's or Beth's. They represented so much more than Tyresse to me.

Thanks, I guess? I mean, that's just my take on it. I'm sure others would disagree. I mean, they do this humanity angle often, so it clearly has a fractured audience. I think that's the whole point behind it, to be honest, because it gets people talking about the decisions the show-runners make.

I will say this much though — I agree with Chris and others that the way they handled this was well-done. I loved the fact that you entered the show thinking the entire time that the funeral was Beth's only to realize by the end, as you clung to hope that Tyresse would live through this, that it was his. That's really clever.

On second watch — and my mom's suggestion — I have a question about Noah now. Why were he and his dad in Atlanta after all of this went down? They had already begun fortifying his housing development before he left. I don't know if I missed a conversation he had with Beth earlier. He also seemed leery about parking in the woods, rather than driving up. Just struck me as odd.

Edit — Also, how does the other twin get out of his room?

On second watch — and my mom's suggestion — I have a question about Noah now. Why were he and his dad in Atlanta after all of this went down? They had already begun fortifying his housing development before he left. I don't know if I missed a conversation he had with Beth earlier. He also seemed leery about parking in the woods, rather than driving up. Just struck me as odd.

Edit — Also, how does the other twin get out of his room?

well the people at the hospital like to injure people and then take them in and make them work for them so that probably explains something. Probably were out looking for supplies or something.

I'm kind of curious to see what happens with the "friend" at the end of the last episode.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving where this story is headed. I'd stopped reading the comics essentially right at the point they got to the Alexandria Safe Zone, so this is all brand new for me again. It's kind of cool to not have any forward knowledge of what's going to happen, because now I'm starting to theorize this or that just based on what I'm seeing every week.

The PTSD-type angle they are doing with the survivors not really being able to handle this kind of life is such a great, stark contrast to the story we've seen told for a number of seasons now — the group versus the bad people. In a lot of ways, the group are the bad people now.

As quiet as the last two episodes have been, more or less, they have made me very anxious. I'm with you Phil, I just don't know what to expect at all out of either group (alexandrians and the main group)which is a very new feeling considering we kind of always knew where the main group stood and how they would react to different things (usually anyway).

My fianc? said it best during last nights episode.. Rick is starting to remind me of Shane a bit.

There's a brilliance in being able to tell so much through so little.

One of the most powerful scenes last night was the one with Sasha and the woman who wanted to cook something for her, who was "worried she'd cook something she wouldn't like", to which Sasha shouted back "that's what you worry about!?"

Agreed. I was on the edge of my seat for most of it. I really hope the group doesn't fall into some kind of trap, but it seems as if Rick's judgement will be clouded yet again in a time where the group will need him the most.

It sucked losing Noah, being that he seemed over mourning his family and ready to start anew. As for Deanna's son, I couldn't get the gist of what he was saying to Glenn. I rewound it 3 times.