• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Walking Dead

Phil

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yea, you have to wonder what those people are tuning in for. I think there's a alarmingly large amount of people who watch the show just to nitpick and act like they're smarter than all the fans because they pointed out a few logic gaps in a fucking show about fucking zombies

I mean, I have some of those same smaller gripes. Like how the group is walking in daylight, then commercial break, come back and it's nighttime. It took that long to walk across Alexandria that the sun went down? Probably not. But that's such a minor issue for me it's not worth bringing up. SOA used to do that all the time too.

At the end of the day, if that's your complaint, who gives a shit? Clearly you are trying to find something to complain about, you know?

• Like 1

No. That was the review and it just made me laugh.

But I did think the episode was boring. It was good in that it got rid of some of the characters who have no story arc.

Disagree. I think it was one of the most adrenaline-pumping episodes they've ever done. The fan reaction kind of proves it. I've read one negative review (the one you posted) where every other comment, blog, article, etc. are heralding it as a pinnacle of the series.

Nearly the entire episode was action. How could you consider that boring? Legit question. If that doesn't get your blood pumping, what would? Did you have the same boring feeling when the Prison was attacked by the Governor and everything descended into chaos?

Disagree. I think it was one of the most adrenaline-pumping episodes they've ever done. The fan reaction kind of proves it. I've read one negative review (the one you posted) where every other comment, blog, article, etc. are heralding it as a pinnacle of the series.

Nearly the entire episode was action. How could you consider that boring? Legit question. If that doesn't get your blood pumping, what would? Did you have the same boring feeling when the Prison was attacked by the Governor and everything descended into chaos?

It was action we've seen over and over again in this series. We know that they aren't going to kill off any major characters, so there's really nothing to worry about. I don't buy that it was all action either. It was people standing around punctuated by explosions, basically. There was no action that lead to the deaths, there was nothing that built up to Daryl doing the things he did....they just happened.

The governor attack was better because there were 2 threats, there was chaos. This was just them hacking zombies. Even the mid-season finale when the Wolves attacked was way better in that regard.

They killed the biggest love interest to the show's main protagonist. That's a main character. Jessie was being built up to be someone Rick clearly fell in love with, and she was a staple of the first half of this entire season. They also killed her family off, and threatened to kill Carl, having him suffer a horrific injury that's going to affect his character deeply going forward.

I'm not sure why main characters have to die in the first place. To prove what, that you're willing to kill anyone? Deaths have to mean something in a show like this. They can't happen randomly for no reason other than to prove that your fantasy world is "real".

For example, let's say they had three or four "main" characters killed last night. Ones you'd consider "main". What would it accomplish other than upsetting people for the sake of upsetting them? Deaths have to mean something. They're still telling a story.

Jessie and her family were always ancillary, she wasn't nearly as important as Diana, who is really the only character from Alexandria that matters. Them dying allows the story to move away from that arc, which wasn't really going anywhere anyways. Same as Tyrese, Hershel, Andrea, Dale, etc. In this show, characters show up, serve their thematic purpose, and then die.

You can't kill off multiple "main" characters at once, but when they all come out of every situation unscathed, it means you know how every single conflict is going to end. Glenn coming out of the bottom of that pile of zombies earlier in the season ruined the show's credibility in that regard. You know that, no matter how many zombies or enemies they are facing, the core group is going to come out just fine. Killing several of them at once really serves no purpose, but killing off one would at least allow there to be a threat of danger.

My guess is that, by the end of this season, 1 or 2 of them will be gone, as well as Judith (who, LOL, the showrunners have no idea how to handle). They've (Carol, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie) developed as much as they are going to and, if you've followed the comics at all, a handful have already lived way longer than they should have. The story is really only about 2 people...

Sorry, I completely disagree. Probably because I completely disagree with your definition of "core". Dale was as core as they came, and they tore him apart. Literally. So was Andrea. Also dead. So was Hershel, who had his fucking head cut off.

I also don't think this season ends without another major, and I mean major death. Negan's appearance is said to come in the final episode, and I won't spoil what happens in the comics, but it comes at the expense of a major, major character in a violent, violent way.

Sorry, I completely disagree. Probably because I completely disagree with your definition of "core". Dale was as core as they came, and they tore him apart. Literally. So was Andrea. Also dead. So was Hershel, who had his fucking head cut off.

I also don't think this season ends without another major, and I mean major death. Negan's appearance is said to come in the final episode, and I won't spoil what happens in the comics, but it comes at the expense of a major, major character in a violent, violent way.

To me, there are only two core characters in the series. Everyone else is moving parts. It's the same as SOA, which really only had one core character.

I have read the comics, I know what Negan does.

Eh, I don't really agree. I think right now you have a main protagonist, Rick, and you have a supporting cast of nearly equal weight importance including Daryl, Michonne, Glenn, Maggie, Carol and Carl, with Abraham and Rosita rapidly rising to significant importance.

Eh, I don't really agree. I think right now you have a main protagonist, Rick, and you have a supporting cast of nearly equal weight importance including Daryl, Michonne, Glenn, Maggie, Carol and Carl, with Abraham and Rosita rapidly rising to significant importance.

Yea but if any one of them dies, nothing in the show changes. If Rick or Carl dies, the show has to completely re-invent itself. It's been beaten over our heads that Rick is the reason that things have worked out and that his only motivation is to provide a better life for Carl.

Using SOA as a comparison again...I think it would be fair to say that Opie was basically the same as Glenn, Carol, Hershel or Daryl, in terms of importance. When Opie died, the show went on and the same could be said for Dale or Hershel or whoever. But if Jax died, the show would be over. Had Abel died, Jax' course would have been completely different. If Maggie dies, Glenn will change but the story will remain the same.

Correct. Rick is the protagonist. He just has a seriously strong supporting cast.

Same as Jax did. SOA still killed off many of them, but the outcry was real when significant characters were killed. Just as it is and will be when TWD does the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Another adrenaline-pumper tonight.

I'm now officially changing my prediction...

Negan doesn't kill Glenn. He doesn't kill Daryl either. He kills either Heath (kind of weak, but some heavy foreshadowing with the photos of all the beaten-in heads on the wall of Negan's compound that he saw) or Abraham, who is on a path of destruction regardless. We've seen some foreshadowing with him, too. Specifically the choking scene at the Hilltop when he lost the necklace Rosita made for him, and with how macabre his attitude has been lately.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, had a feeling they might go that route.

So, I guess everyone is gonna have to cast their vote for who just met Lucille and we'll see who was right come next season?

Sticking with my prediction of Abraham for all the same reasons. They just teased Daryl's death, so it's not him (plus he has his biker show coming). It's not Glenn. They already faked everyone out mid-season. It's not Rick or Carl for obvious reasons. Michonne is the only darkhorse unless you think they just go full blown comics and kill Glenn anyway. But my money is still on Abraham.

What a crappy end to a terrible season. They literally spent the last 8 episodes - which had a ton of meh storytelling and weak narrative - building up to one particular thing. That one particular thing doesn't really happen, and won't until the premier of season 7.

I don't know why they showrunners are so obsessed with cliffhangers. People will watch the show without them. It's just such weak writing. They crammed probably 2 hours of decent narrative into the entire second half of the season. It's the same crap they did with the whole prison sequence, which lasted about 8 episodes too long, Carol looking for her daughter, and basically anything that has to do with Morgan.

I hate that I watch this show.