• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

He makes $9.5 million in real money this year. Probably scared most teams off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

someone tweeted that at least 4 teams willing to take on contract, many others asking about retention

No mention if blues has to add to any of those, but I thought they'd get something. Must be GMs really don't want contracts

It doesn't even make sense, unless those four teams wanted picks on top with nothing going back to STL.

or they value something else exposed more than what they value Tarasenkos return and just want the Kraken to pick him over whatever that other something may be. (Dunn?, Schwartz rights?) -- then if he isn't taken they can move him after the expansion draft.

It doesn't even make sense, unless those four teams wanted picks on top with nothing going back to STL.

Or the returns would have wildly complicated the Blues expansion draft situation.

The only way this makes sense is if the returns from these teams would have damaged the Blues in some way - either they were paying to dump him or they couldn't reliably protect the return.

I suppose we will find out sooner or later

ok tweet embedding isn't working for me, anyways Andy Strickland tweeted if Tarasenko is taken by Seattle it won't be his final destination.

Fixed it for you. Tweet embedding is real weird; you need to cut the URL to just the string of numbers at the end.

So in the below, you cut out everything but the bold, get rid of the dots in the brackets, and it shows.

[tweet.] https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/1417255160166895619 [/tweet.]

Anyway - nothing surprising. Seattle could get a kings ransom for flipping Tarasenko at 2/3rds cap.

• 2 weeks later...
The source said emphatically that Tarasenko should have been traded by now, and the Blues are only further diminishing his value by hanging onto him this long.

“The trajectory doesn’t get any better,” the source said. “They shit on this guy … to their own detriment. It’s time to move him. The train has left the station.”

So why hasn’t Tarasenko been traded?

The source said that Armstrong has miscalculated the situation, asking for “too much” in return. There were once four teams interested in Tarasenko, and there are still at least two, but the options are dwindling after Wednesday’s signings around the league.

New Jersey and Carolina are two of the clubs that make the most sense.

https://theathletic.com/2737558/2021/07/28/the-latest-on-the-blues-and-vladimir-tarasenko-source-says-trade-value-is-decreasing-its-time-to-move-him/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...

In his latest mailbag for the Athletic, Jeremy Rutherford said to not sleep on the Rangers when it comes to eventually acquiring Tarasenko.

I also think the New York Rangers have not moved on from the idea of adding Tarasenko. Yes, the Rangers traded Pavel Buchnevich to the Blues because they don’t have enough money to keep everyone, but Tarasenko has two years left on his contract, which is less than the four- or five-year term that it would have taken to re-sign Buchnevich. The Rangers have a few players they’ll have to re-up in the next couple of years, but that might not prevent them from acquiring Tarasenko for the final two years of his deal.

Jeremy Rutherford, The Athletic

I think those players get the year to make it work. Next off season at soonest to see the org move on from the idea of them bearing that load.

Man, I dunno. I don't think ownership or upper management is interested in watching a whole year go by if these guys aren't producing after 20-25 games. Ownership in particular.

Let's hope it doesn't even come to that though.

Man, I dunno. I don't think ownership or upper management is interested in watching a whole year go by if these guys aren't producing after 20-25 games. Ownership in particular.

Let's hope it doesn't even come to that though.

If they dont produce then the rebuild was a failure or now relies on Lundkvist, Lafreniere and Schneider. But better chance Strome is at RW and we acquire a top 6 center than Tarasenko.

If they dont produce then the rebuild was a failure or now relies on Lundkvist, Lafreniere and Schneider. But better chance Strome is at RW and we acquire a top 6 center than Tarasenko.

I wouldn't go that far. Fox is a success. You've got the guys you've mentioned. Also Chytil, Barron, Miller, Robertson.

All it would mean is that winger depth, particularly on the right side, maybe isn't as deep with quality as it looks right now.