• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

Yet Tarasenko has received Selke votes and Buch has not.

I mean, Buch's role has expanded and he's proven to be a 200ft player. Buch for Tarasenko is just shuffling deck chairs in some capacity. I don't really see why you'd make that trade if you're Drury.

I mean, Buch's role has expanded and he's proven to be a 200ft player. Buch for Tarasenko is just shuffling deck chairs in some capacity. I don't really see why you'd make that trade if you're Drury.

100%

Rangers could probably sign Butch at a very reasonable number for the next 5 years or even more if they wanted to and he’s only 26 years old.

I’d rather have the next 5 years of Butch at say, the 4.5-6 million range, then the next 2 years of Tarasenko at 7.5.

Butch is making 3.25 now.

If they offer him 5+ for the next 5 years or better, to stay in NY, I bet he takes it.

100%

Rangers could probably sign Butch at a very reasonable number for the next 5 years or even more if they wanted to and he’s only 26 years old.

I’d rather have the next 5 years of Butch at say, the 4.5-6 million range, then the next 2 years of Tarasenko at 7.5.

If they offer him 5+ for the next 5 years or better, to stay in NY, I bet he takes it.

Only having Tarasenko for 2 years is part of the benefit because it frees up $$$ to resign Laf, Miller, Jones, etc. Having Buch past two years makes it harder to resign them.

100%

Future outlook: CK & Buch 12mil+ against the cap in their 30s when Laf, Kakko, Fox etc. are suppose to be in their primes isn't a good future look... we already made the mistake in CK now imagine having Buch at the age of 30 if Kakko/Krav pan out we'd be paying $12mil+ for our 3rd line wingers.

Only having Tarasenko for 2 years is part of the benefit because it frees up $$$ to resign Laf, Miller, Jones, etc. Having Buch past two years makes it harder to resign them.

And ignores the concept of retention — something Friedman (I believe) noted maybe a requirement in any deal on STL's end.

vote*

and we still laugh about it, today.

Tarasenko, if I recall, got like 1 5th place vote a few years ago.

Hardly a qualifier

How many accidental vote did Buch get for being an exceptional two way player? The point is Tarasenko is just as much a complete player as Buch. He's also a multi time 30 goal scorer, multi time Hart vote getter, and has 30 pounds on Buch. Dominant in puck possession. He has 35 goals in 78 playoff games. Buch has 1 assist in 8 playoff games. Even with one shoulder, Tarasenko had 2 goals in this year's playoffs.

How many accidental vote did Buch get for being an exceptional two way player? The point is Tarasenko is just as much a complete player as Buch. He's also a multi time 30 goal scorer, multi time Hart vote getter, and has 30 pounds on Buch. Dominant in puck possession. He has 35 goals in 78 playoff games. Buch has 1 assist in 8 playoff games. Even with one shoulder, Tarasenko had 2 goals in this year's playoffs.

now, fast forward 3 years to the present day.

4 goals in 24 games. 6% shooting.

Had his successful surgery on 9/9/2020.

1 goal on 3% shooting in the First 10 games after surgery.

2 goals on 8% shooting the next 10 games.

3 goals in the final 8 games (including playoffs) on 20% shooting.

Seems like he was coming back from the surgery just fine.

For like the 10th time in the thread he wasn't "hurt again".

He hurt his shoulder 10/24/2019. The Blues doctor's mis-diagnosed the injury and did 2 unsuccessful surgeries. Came back for 4 playoff games in 8/2020. Had surgery by a new doctor 9/2020 that fixed the issued. After playing 4 games in the previous 18 months, he came back in 03/2021 and scored more the more games he played. Shocker.

He hadn't played in 18 months and played 24 out of 31 games after he came back, then all 4 playoff games. Aren't you a big proponent of giving players scheduled rest?

He was injured.

For like the 10th time in the thread he wasn't "hurt again".

3 surgeries on the same ailment should absolutely be a big flashing red light complete with alarm bells.

if this were the missing piece I'd be more agreeable.. But he's not, and the skater he is presumably replacing is every bit the player right now. We need to quit comparing resumes and look at the next 3-5 years.

• Like 1

Agree with this.

I’d rather have Buch than the next 2 years of Tarasenko.

Especially since Buch has really developed into an excellent two-way, 200 foot player.

He may never develop into the explosive scorer that a healthy Tarasenko can be. But he’s also 3 1/2 years younger and a more complete player.

Which also brings up the question. Is Tarasenko a Gallant guy? He's already said he wants his guys to play a two way game. Buchnevich being our main go to two way guy, takes away a piece the new coach may love, while adding a guy that just had his 3rd shoulder surgery and is more well known for his goal scoring.

I don't know man. A part of me wants to take the risk, because he WAS a guy that was a dominant player. But the costs to get him aren't really what I prefer to give up. I don't deal Buchnevich for him. Nor do I trade Kakko or Kravstov..

How about we switch gears. Would they take Zibanejad? Then the Rangers can pursue Eichel for a reason? Would they take Strome? Either way you'd have to throw a sweetener in there like a Reunenen and a pick.

Then you can afford to give Buffalo Buchnevich, and Jones...

If you bring Tarasenko in, the top 6 needs to change. I don't like giving up youth for a gamble on Tarasenko. But I'd give up some youth for Eichel if there's room and a reason for getting him.