• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

It's possible, yes, but it creates a world of problems after this coming season (depending on the extent of retention).

done quickly just for a look -

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2538804

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)

Right wing: Vladimir Tarasenko ($5,500,000) - Kaapo Kakko ($3,500,000) - Lauri Pajuniemi ($883,750) - Tony Calderone ($800,000) - Nicolas Deslauriers ($1,000,000)

Centre: Jack Eichel ($10,000,000) - Mika Zibanejad ($8,000,000) - Robert Thomas ($3,100,000) - Morgan Barron ($925,000)

Left wing: Artemi Panarin ($11,642,857) - Alexis Lafreni?re ($925,000) - Chris Kreider ($6,500,000) - Will Cuylle ($850,833)

DEFENSE (7)

Right: Adam Fox ($6,500,000) - Jacob Trouba ($8,000,000) - Braden Schneider ($925,000)

Left: Ryan Lindgren ($3,000,000) - K'Andre Miller ($925,000) - Matthew Robertson ($797,500) - Zachary Jones ($925,000)

GOALTENDER (2)

Igor Shesterkin ($4,500,000) - Adam Huska ($900,000)

BUYOUTS (3)

Kevin Shattenkirk ($1,433,333) - Dan Girardi ($1,111,111) - Brad Richards ($0)

DETAILS

Roster Size: 22

Salary Cap: $81,500,000

Cap Hit: $82,644,384

Cap Space: -$1,144,384

Is Tony Calzone a real player?

Looks like the Leafs 2.0. I'd argue there's a way better, deeper team to be built here and it like doesn't include either Tarasenko or Eichel.

Lol. Pass. Too close to Tony DeAngelo. PTSD triggering for a whole lot of people (lovers and haters).

He plays with Panarin. He fits the line just fine. That line could use someone who actually wants to shoot the puck - shit, I think he and Panarin were even teammates on SKA for a while.

His shoulder is a non-issue - the Blues doctors fucked up and he's got it fixed. No reason to believe he isn't fine, but if he fails his physical, so be it, no trade. It's like saying "don't trade for an elite pitcher because he had Tommy John" - it's silly. The guy is two years removed from his fifth straight 33 goal season, won a cup three years ago, has multiple deep playoff runs under his belt, and before he got hurt and the Blues decided to misdiagnose him, he was basically a point-a-game player on an offensively questionable team.

You're not burying two of your top 3 prospects having one in the top 6 and one on the third line - that's a dramatic take. We all know that neither Kakko nor Kravtsov are ready for 1st line minutes, and any trade here involves Buchnevich. The guy has a two year deal. Who are we burying here?

I'm also failing to understand how this throws the whole "get grittier" thing out. He's huge. He hits. He's insanely hard to defend. What, because he can score goals he isn't gritty or hard to play against? I don't think it's necessary to act like the sky is falling because adding a top tier goalscorer just so happens to be plausible.

Well, like I've been saying. Panarin didn't want Kakko on his line. I'd say their games (Kakko and Tarasenko) as far as where they like to go on the ice are similar, or atleast they WERE prior to "making Kakko a better player ".. Remember the "Jesper Fast is not small" talks where it was suggested that Panarin doesn't want that type of player on his line???? That's gone now?

I think a guy coming off a 3rd shoulder surgery in a physical sport is most definitely a concern. I disagree with how you view his game. I see him as more a perimeter shooter rather than "bull in a china shop". He's consistently in the voting for the Lady Byng... Let's cool it with the lack of differentiating "hard to play against " and "gritty" with this type of player. He's hard to play against because he's got a great shot and can beat any goalie 1 on 1. We have plenty of that.

As for burying a prospect. There's no guarantee or reason to move the younger and more complete player in Buchnevich. The team needs more like him.. I don't understand this idea that he has to go.. But if he were to go, who's playing with Panarin? Not Kakko and by all accounts for what was discussed Tarasenko doesn't fit Panarins mold.. So, is Kravtsov the fit? Then Kakko back to a 3rd line role? Our 2nd overall pick is going to be on the 3rd line again? Of not then Kravtsov is? . You're burying AT LEAST one prospect , when it's time to give them the keys..

If Alexei Kovalev is a bull in a china shop, Vladimir Tarasenko is Pamplona.

Kovalev could carry defenders on his back (literally) and take the puck to the net. Tarasenko? No.

Great shot, impressive moves, but not really as strong on the puck as a bull in a china shop. I consider(ed) Tarasenko as more of a sniper than a guy who didn't shy away from contact.

This is a bull?

Tarasenko is consistently in the Byng voting? He was 2nd Runner up one time in 16-17. And who cares? Is ROR hard to play against? Most who know would say yes. He was 2nd runner up twice. Is Slavin hard to play against? He won this year.

What an irrelevant, non point.

Kovalev could carry defenders on his back (literally) and take the puck to the net. Tarasenko? No.

Great shot, impressive moves, but not really as strong on the puck as a bull in a china shop. I consider(ed) Tarasenko as more of a sniper than a guy who didn't shy away from contact.

This is a bull?

Heard on the broadcast on this video "Anyone who's watched Tarasenko knows he's not soft." :rofl:

Come on. Can we get serious?

Because you have to pass the medical to be traded. If his shoulder is bad, you...wait for it....don't trade for him.

This isn't hard.

Didn't Matt Harvey pass his physical after his last surgery and suck for the rest of his career?

Botching 2 surgeries and then deeming a third a success because the player passes a physical isn't exactly a good idea when considering adding a top line player.. Maybe this can be a move mid season after we see if he's affected by it still?

3 surgeries is 3 surgeries. It's most definitely a concern, if you think he's a fit.

• Like 1

It's something of a gamble depending on Buch. Vlad will not trend down mightily in the remainder of his deal, but yeah...if you can get Buch at the right rate for the right term, I can see this being a bit of a tossup. I'm more willing to bet on Tarasenko being the better player versus term for the next two or three years though since I thing the number on Buch will be higher than we expect.

He already HAS!!

Resurfacing because I haven't seen an answer:

Is there any world where we land Eichel AND Tarasenko?

Again, not a cap expert, but would this be possible with some retention?

I'd rather land Eichel for prospects and move Zib to the RW and figure out who to resign mid-way through the season. Zib or Strome or neither.

Heard on the broadcast on this video "Anyone who's watched Tarasenko knows he's not soft." :rofl:

Come on. Can we get serious?

Is adding Tarasenko making this team tougher? Seriously can we get serious? Nobody is bringing in Tarasenko to make their team tougher. So he's not Panarin, Zib, Strome, Chytil but he's certainly not confused for a guy that's tough either. At best he's in there mold of Kreider which does not move the needle at all with what this team needs.

Is adding Tarasenko making this team tougher? Seriously can we get serious? Nobody is bringing in Tarasenko to make their team tougher. So he's not Panarin, Zib, Strome, Chytil but he's certainly not confused for a guy that's tough either. At best he's in there mold of Kreider which does not move the needle at all with what this team needs.
Actually, another CONSISTENT Kreider is EXACTLY what this team needs... But this one can score 40 goals... Not consistently flirt with 30 because he can't get his game together for an entire season.

The question you should have led with is does Tarasenko give this team a dimension it doesn't currently have and make them harder to defend than with Buch. And the answer is undoubtedly yes 10 out of 10 times.

I’d vote no, so that’s 9 of 10.

Not until he shows it, again.

Edit: again, the killer being the shoulder. He can’t take a slapper any more.

No, YOU can't take a slapper anymore, and the Rangers aren't trading for you so it doesn't matter. And since when was he such a big slap shot guy?

On top of that you weren't one of the 10 people pulled so it's still 10/10.

No. Like, NHL stats - he can’t take a slapper anymore.

Dude scored 4 fucking goals this season

If you are a lefty playing on Panarins line to score goals, you better be able to take a one timer 10/10 times.

And yes it has been reported that Tarasenko has issues with the Blues management and also with some teammates. It is also reported that he had an issue with O'Reilly being named captain and not him. So to dismiss his complaining and locker room presence is not accurate at all unless you are trying to ignore facts to support your argument. Kind of like dismissing his injury as 1 measly injury that has required three surgeries and has made him ineffective for the past 2 seasons. Also to this point he has not shown anyone that the third time has fixed his problem. He's saying he's fine but nobody has seen it during NHL play.

All said and done why would the Rangers take this risk. Even if it all worked out great and Tarasenko flourishes he most likely walks as a UFA in 2 years. So unless you view this team as an immediate contender capable of winning the next two years I just don't get the upside here.

• Like 1

Actually, another CONSISTENT Kreider is EXACTLY what this team needs... But this one can score 40 goals... Not consistently flirt with 30 because he can't get his game together for an entire season.

The question you should have led with is does Tarasenko give this team a dimension it doesn't currently have and make them harder to defend than with Buch. And the answer is undoubtedly yes 10 out of 10 times.

Sao now you are posting the questions I should have asked so you can answer yes 10 out of 10 times. That's not how this works. I said at best he's another Kreider, at best being the key words. That's assuming he's a bull in a china shop. In 7/9 seasons he averaged 30 hits per season. In the other 2 seasons he had 80. So which player is he?

Sao now you are posting the questions I should have asked so you can answer yes 10 out of 10 times. That's not how this works. I said at best he's another Kreider, at best being the key words. That's assuming he's a bull in a china shop. In 7/9 seasons he averaged 30 hits per season. In the other 2 seasons he had 80. So which player is he?

Vlads a killer!!!!

I mean, if Buchnevich is moved for a center upgrade, I'd still like that replacement player to be a big, physical forward who is defensively responsible. A solid role player.

But if it's a 2nd for 50% retained, yeah.

No. Like, NHL stats - he can’t take a slapper anymore.

Dude scored 4 fucking goals this season

If you are a lefty playing on Panarins line to score goals, you better be able to take a one timer 10/10 times.

He can't take a slapper anymore...

Here's his career shot selection. Tell us more about how he USED to take slappers and can't now....cuz this says he's played 500+ games and only taken 100ish and scored on 13...218 goals and only 13 off a slapshot. (159 off wrist shot)

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=shottype&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20002001&seasonTo=20202021&gameType=2&playerSearch=Tarasenko&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shots,shootingPct&page=0&pageSize=50

6.2 shooting percentage.

Fucking sniper!

12% shooter careerwise has a down year, cool, his price should be lower now.