• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

The Rangers have more than enough talent up front to compete. It’s other areas where they need help. But, if you can buy low on more talent and maybe bring in some of what you need along the way? I’m not against it. If you can nab Tarasenko and, as was mentioned earlier, someone like Thomas to fill a hole on your 3rd line in the middle, I’d be okay with that. A healthy Tarasenko playing with a chip on his shoulder having Panarin feeding him? You’re looking at someone who will fill the back of the net, both now and come playoff time, where he has excelled.

But I thought Panarin only wanted a Jesper Fast type opposite him? Is Tarasenko more like Kakko??? Likes having the puck and taking the shot?

I don't see him as a fit on that line with what people here say Panarin demands to play with. I think he'd fit with Zib though.

The framework Pete has makes tons of sense. Most of all because Tarasenko and Thomas play the kind of game the Rangers need. They're playoffs warriors. They've both won a Cup, too, so they're not just bringing a mentality, but the experience to pull it off.

You probably lose out on points, slightly, going from Buch to Tarasenko, but you make up for it because it's a hockey trade that actually betters your team for the postseason.

Taking away your only "gritty" forward to aquire a guy with similar attributes to our prospects doesn't really seem to better the team for the playoffs.

If you're making a trade with the Blues you go for O'Reilly. I'd think the price would similar.

Say the trade happens

Panarin Strome Tarasenko - your #1 line

So, Kreider - Zibanejad- Kakko is your shut down line?

Lafreniere- Thomas - Kravtsov is a kid line

And 4th line.

Did this make the team tougher to play against? Did you add much needed leadership? Physicality? Did you get better defensively? Are they tougher?

I struggle to see how the team upgraded or addressed any needs.

I was going to say how everyone seems to forget what the goal should be for this off season. "Adding a one dimensional goal scorer" was nowhere in the thought process.

Bigger, stronger, physical, defensive responsibility,

faceoff expert and a bit of toughness was to be the focal point. Not bury the prospects on wing.

Taking away your only "gritty" forward to aquire a guy with similar attributes to our prospects doesn't really seem to better the team for the playoffs.

If you're making a trade with the Blues you go for O'Reilly. I'd think the price would similar.

I mean, sure, but they just named him captain. I seriously doubt they have any interest in moving him. I doubt he has any interest in moving, for that matter.

What? You mock Kreiders health regularly but Tarasenko is fine??
One player had one shoulder injury that wasn't corrected by the blues doctors, hence his trade request...another player gets injured all the time, with different issues.

Can you at least do the homework if you want to participate in the conversation?

He’s had three surgeries on that “one” injury, homework boy.

Yes, twice because the Blues doctors couldn't fucking figure out what was going on, and a third time when a non-team doctor did. That's the whole reason he's demanding a trade.

I was going to say how everyone seems to forget what the goal should be for this off season. "Adding a one dimensional goal scorer" was nowhere in the thought process.

Bigger, stronger, physical, defensive responsibility,

faceoff expert and a bit of toughness was to be the focal point. Not bury the prospects on wing.

I think you might want to watch Tarasenko. The guy is a bull in a china shop. He's very, very hard to play against. Shit, he's got 60 lbs on Panarin, wants the puck all the time, has a shot like a cannon, and hands like silk. Strong skater. Loves to use the body. He's what Kreider wants to be.

But we don't need that, right?

I think you might want to watch Tarasenko. The guy is a bull in a china shop. He's very, very hard to play against. Shit, he's got 60 lbs on Panarin, wants the puck all the time, has a shot like a cannon, and hands like silk. Strong skater. Loves to use the body. He's what Kreider wants to be.

Where does he play and where do the kids play?He won't be a bull in a China shop (I'm not suthe really ever was) with a bum shoulder. Bull in a china shop was Kovalev. A guy that would skate over, around and through would be defenders. I don't really consider Tarasenko like that. I'd say he's more deceptive and avoids contact more so than a guy who powers through.. His goals come more from the circles that I can really picture, though he can deke goalies out of their socks...

He doesn't fit the Panarin line. He kinda fits the Zib line, but isn't Zib the trigger man on that line? You're burying 2 of your 3 top prospects if you get him. Let's not act like he's some power forward. He's not. He WAS an elite goal scorer 3-4 years ago.

If we are saying fuck the game plan of getting grittier, let's go get Kuznetsov too. Fuck the prospects..

Tarasenko has shown that he can be a beast on the ice. But that was back when Gallant was a player.

It feels like such a step backwards. Assets, contract, injuries... there are other priorities. I think that’s the right word, priority. He’s not one.

I think it's clear folks haven't seen Tarasenko play... Or don't get the "bull in a china shop" of referencing Kovalev.

Where does he play and where do the kids play. He won't be a bull in a China shop (I'm not suthe really ever was) with a bum shoulder.

He doesn't fit the Panarin line. He kinda fits the Zib line, but isn't Zib the trigger man on that line? You're burying 2 of your 3 top prospects if you get him. Let's not act like he's some power forward. He's not. He WAS an elite goal scorer 3-4 years ago.

If we are saying fuck the game plan of getting grittier, let's go get Kuznetsov too. Fuck the prospects..

He plays with Panarin. He fits the line just fine. That line could use someone who actually wants to shoot the puck - shit, I think he and Panarin were even teammates on SKA for a while.

His shoulder is a non-issue - the Blues doctors fucked up and he's got it fixed. No reason to believe he isn't fine, but if he fails his physical, so be it, no trade. It's like saying "don't trade for an elite pitcher because he had Tommy John" - it's silly. The guy is two years removed from his fifth straight 33 goal season, won a cup three years ago, has multiple deep playoff runs under his belt, and before he got hurt and the Blues decided to misdiagnose him, he was basically a point-a-game player on an offensively questionable team.

You're not burying two of your top 3 prospects having one in the top 6 and one on the third line - that's a dramatic take. We all know that neither Kakko nor Kravtsov are ready for 1st line minutes, and any trade here involves Buchnevich. The guy has a two year deal. Who are we burying here?

I'm also failing to understand how this throws the whole "get grittier" thing out. He's huge. He hits. He's insanely hard to defend. What, because he can score goals he isn't gritty or hard to play against? I don't think it's necessary to act like the sky is falling because adding a top tier goalscorer just so happens to be plausible.

• Like 1

Tarasenko has shown that he can be a beast on the ice. But that was back when Gallant was a player.

It feels like such a step backwards. Assets, contract, injuries... there are other priorities. I think that’s the right word, priority. He’s not one.

I don't understand how "we need to be harder to play against" is a priority, but "hey, there's a guy who scored 200 goals in 5 seasons that gives opponents absolute fits and plays physical hockey" doesn't meet that priority.

How the hell is his shoulder NOT an issue?

Like, seriously...

You are banking on this guy going into corners and shooting?

Because you have to pass the medical to be traded. If his shoulder is bad, you...wait for it....don't trade for him.

This isn't hard.

https://www.stlouisgametime.com/platform/amp/2020/12/29/22205505/vladimir-tarasenko-sheds-light-on-shoulder-captaincy-and-more-in-russian-interview

The good

The interview closed with some questions about Tarasenko’s goal of playing for Team Russia one day. He said it’s a dream for him to play at the Olympics with his old Russian squad, including Artemi Panarin, Dmitry Orlov, Nikita Zaitsev, Anton Burdasov, and Evgeny Kuznetsov (who is currently suspended from Olympic play). Tarasenko added that he’d want the group to be lead by Valeri Bragin.

The bad

Tarasenko’s grueling history of shoulder injuries. He recently underwent his third shoulder surgery and missed nearly the entirety of the 2019-20 season with isssues.

The ugly

Whining about the captaincy

Because he wants to be traded, he's not high priced, he's not often injured (he had one injury that was not corrected by surgeries the Blues doctor's performed which is why he wants to be traded) and because, as I already said, he does fill a need.

I don't get where the serious health concerns come in. He doesn't have a broken neck like Eichel.

I don't want Eichel either. He's missed most of the past two seasons with injury. When he has played he's been bad. No the Rangers need is not on the wing. In a cap free environment ok but with the hard cap the Rangers have more pressing needs. Buch is way safer bet so why not just resign him?

Who's to say if you are getting Taranseko from 3 years ago? Even if you are $7.5M cap hit is going to be a problem.

I don't remember him playing like a bull in a china shop but it's been so long since he's played maybe I'm wrong.

Do you not give any worry that the player hasn't been the same guy for years? Tarasenko agent comes out and says third times the charm he's fine now and poof his injury history is gone?

You ask if we need that kind of player. That is an incomplete question. There is a cap, we are currently deep own the wings with players developing that need the opportunity and ice time there. We have Fox and Zib eyeing massive contracts next summer. The Rangers have a glaring need at center, need to bulk up throughout their lineup and really could use a shut down left-handed defenseman. More than anything they have to become tougher to play against. This is not a one player fix. Binging in Tarasenko basically makes that goal much harder with the money they will have to work with. Tarasenko doesn't make them any more formidable to the Isles or Caps. The Rangers aren't lacking the skill to compete with those teams they are lacking the will and belligerence.

We can have a discussion to what Tarasenko is as a player and was as a player. We are guessing at this point at what he is currently. To say we need to watch him play has nothing to do with this and frankly it's it's ridiculous to simplify the argument to just one factor. I for one know exactly what he was. What he was is not a player that fixes the Rangers needs. He was an elite goal scorer who is built like a brick shit house. He was never a physical player though. He was/is paid $7.5M a year. Nobody has seen that elite player in years. The Rangers while pushing to be a playoff team next year are still building. Having Tarasenko for 2 years does what here beside block others on the depth chart. Are the Rangers really situated to resign him 2 years from now even if it did work out? I doubt it. They are already over invested at wing.

• Like 1

That… and he isn’t a C. They just don’t really need another winger right now.

Especially when I think Buch for tarasenko in itself is a lateral move with slight upside in talent but notch back to even with career arch. Buch trending up while vlad trending down. Just keep top 6 what we have. It’s not our problem.