• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

We know there was interest there during the offseason. Now that the Rangers have someone who really needs to move, and St. Louis probably will wants to move Tarasenko, they could probably make something work now more than in the summer. It would be a good trade for both teams, I think, and like you said, it moved Kreider down to the third line where he'd probably a better fit.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Buchnevich and Kravtsov (and maybe more) for Blais and Tarasenko gonna look so fucking bad in a few years.

Give Sammy the Bull a few more games, Zuuc man...I think you're gonna like him in time.  It's still early and I think he fits a role here for us that we're going to need in the post season. 

9 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Buchnevich and Kravtsov (and maybe more) for Blais and Tarasenko gonna look so fucking bad in a few years.

Depends on how many Cups we have. 

All those trades the Rangers made to win in 94...only one player won a Cup, and it was Doug Weight like 20 years later. 

Edited by Pete

Adding Tarasenko also alleviates pressure off of Lafreniere and Kakko to become 35-40 goal guys in the next season or 2. Obviously, they would still be given ample opportunity to do that. But we would also have superstar compliments like Zibanejad, Panarin and Tarasenko to fall back on should they need more time.

To me, it’s the best of both worlds. Might Kravtsov+ for Tarasenko look bad in 15 years? Sure. But if Tarasenko comes in and produces (he looked fantastic last night FWIW), and our kids hit their stride, and Zibanejad and Panarin remain healthy? You’re talking about a real legitimate shot for this team to start day dreaming about making noise much sooner than later.

Kravtsov is going to be gone. To me, a deal for Tarasenko actually now makes sense whereas a few months prior, it didn’t.

Rolling with something along the lines of:

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Tarasenko

Panarin-Strome-Kakko

Kreider-Chytil-Blais

Goodrow-Rooney-Reaves

That would be an extremely solid group. Mix and match how you please.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Adding Tarasenko also alleviates pressure off of Lafreniere and Kakko to become 35-40 goal guys in the next season or 2. Obviously, they would still be given ample opportunity to do that. But we would also have superstar compliments like Zibanejad, Panarin and Tarasenko to fall back on should they need more time.

To me, it’s the best of both worlds. Might Kravtsov+ for Tarasenko look bad in 15 years? Sure. But if Tarasenko comes in and produces (he looked fantastic last night FWIW), and our kids hit their stride, and Zibanejad and Panarin remain healthy? You’re talking about a real legitimate shot for this team to start day dreaming about making noise much sooner than later.

Kravtsov is going to be gone. To me, a deal for Tarasenko actually now makes sense whereas a few months prior, it didn’t.

Devil's advocate moment - why do the Blues trade Tarasenko on a discount right this moment? They look really good so far. 

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Give Sammy the Bull a few more games, Zuuc man...I think you're gonna like him in time.  It's still early and I think he fits a role here for us that we're going to need in the post season. 

I like him, I do. I was actually happy with the return of Blais + 2nd when the trade happened. We had to trade Buch and everyone knew it, I wasn't expecting too much. Its just the total package of Krav+Buch(+?) for Blais, Tarasenko for half a season, 2nd. Blues get Buch for 5 years minimum and a really good prospect. We get a bottom 6 forward and a wing for half a season.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Depends on how many Cups we have. 

All those trades the Rangers made in 94...only one player won a Cup, and it was Doug Weight like 15 years later. 

Sure , if we trade for Tarasenko at the deadline and win a Cup I couldn't care less about Buch and Krav, but that's not likely, and I don't see anyway we can keep Tarasenko more than this season.

So in 3-4 years we have (hopefully) Blais still here as a solid bottom 6'er and Tarasenko is long gone while Blues have Buch as a top 6 winger and potentially another top 6 winger.

I'm not really against this trade with how things are at the moment, its just gonna look horrible in a few years (unless they win a Cup obviously).

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I like him, I do. I was actually happy with the return of Blais + 2nd when the trade happened. We had to trade Buch and everyone knew it, I wasn't expecting too much. Its just the total package of Krav+Buch(+?) for Blais, Tarasenko for half a season, 2nd. Blues get Buch for 5 years minimum and a really good prospect. We get a bottom 6 forward and a wing for half a season.

Sure , if we trade for Tarasenko at the deadline and win a Cup I couldn't care less about Buch and Krav, but that's not likely, and I don't see anyway we can keep Tarasenko more than this season.

So in 3-4 years we have (hopefully) Blais still here as a solid bottom 6'er and Tarasenko is long gone while Blues have Buch as a top 6 winger and potentially another top 6 winger.

I'm not really against this trade with how things are at the moment, its just gonna look horrible in a few years (unless they win a Cup obviously).

Any trade projection for Kravtsov means very little at the moment.  Yeah, he might become a star but there is absolutely no chance that happens here now.  So if he becomes a star (which I think skill wise he could but mentally he doesn't have what it takes) so be it.  

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I hear ya, man....it's a shame what's going on with Kravvy.  I hope to see things eventually work out for us, and him....It sure doesn't look like that's going to happen overnight, but we'll see if we can score any kind of value in return for him if we go that direction.

I'd rather see both sides, bury the damn hatchet and get him back in the mix....all in time I suppose.

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

Any trade projection for Kravtsov means very little at the moment.  Yeah, he might become a star but there is absolutely no chance that happens here now.  So if he becomes a star (which I think skill wise he could but mentally he doesn't have what it takes) so be it.  

Sure, but it would be nice to get back something with more "long term potential". There's no way we can afford Tarasenko after this season unless they magically makes Kreider disappear or they sacrifice Strome for him (that would be really dumb).

Again, I'm not really against a Krav/Tarasenko swap, its just that it could look really ugly really fast.

And I'm not over Kravtsov yet, I'm still crying going through his socials before I go to bed ?

15 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Devil's advocate moment - why do the Blues trade Tarasenko on a discount right this moment? They look really good so far. 

Totally fair comment.

Tarasenko is still interested in being dealt. If he isn’t going to stick around long term, why not gain a prospect with high upside (questionable character too so I understand the questions). I’m sure it wouldn’t be as cut and dry as Kravtsov for Tarasenko straight up. I’m sure we would have to add a bit.

But this is an Avenue that months ago seemed somewhat redundant yet today seems like a decent fit. We could badly use someone like him in the Top-6.

32 minutes ago, josh said:

If they getting rid of Kravtsov because of personality issues, tarasenko shouldn't be the target.

Not exactly "personality issues," as much as the conditioning issues that stem from them. Tarasenko doesn't seem to suffer from the same problems.

20 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Because he may still want out? The same as if the Rangers brought back Kravtsov, it wouldn't necessarily mean things had been mended. Tarasenko maybe/likely/probably still harbors a lot of ill-will toward Blues management.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Tarasenko is signed for next year too, FYI.

So it wouldn’t be for half a season. If this deal were to ever happen even somewhat soon, it would be for nearly 2 seasons (this and all of next).

Yeah and that's another problem. Rangers atm will have 19.2m in cap space for next season.

Fox gonna get around 9 (minimum 7 on a bridge deal), Strome gonna get 5-6m atleast, they also need to sign Kakko, Blais, Gauthier/Hajek/Rooney and a backup goalie.

How do they fit in Tarasenko's 7.5m next season?

I’m not worried about tomorrow or down the road in this type of deal honestly. If Kravtsov comes back to bite us in the ass, so be it. It’s already a closed door.

Im not looking for futures. I’m finally worried about today. We have enough here that will be here both today and tomorrow.

A deal for Tarasenko will give the Rangers a tremendous opportunity to do something special over the course of the next 2 years IMO. It doesn’t make us unbeatable, but it sure fills a hole. And while other holes exist, having the scoring that a potential Top-6 featuring Zibanejad, Panarin and Tarasenko would have would alleviate a lot of other issues that may exist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Because he may still want out? The same as if the Rangers brought back Kravtsov, it wouldn't necessarily mean things had been mended. Tarasenko maybe/likely/probably still harbors a lot of ill-will toward Blues management.

Wait...it's almost as if the Blues said " We know you want out and we're trying to move you, but work with us...your value is low...Just play and get your value back up, so we can get a good return" ...

And he's doing it! Imagine that!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Applause 1

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Yeah and that's another problem. Rangers atm will have 19.2m in cap space for next season.

Fox gonna get around 9 (minimum 7 on a bridge deal), Strome gonna get 5-6m atleast, they also need to sign Kakko, Blais, Gauthier/Hajek/Rooney and a backup goalie.

How do they fit in Tarasenko's 7.5m next season?

No doubt it would likely take some maneuvering and/or seeing if STL might be willing to eat a % of the cap hit to facilitate a trade if the Rangers sweeten the deal, which they most certainly can.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Wait...it's almost as if the Blues said " We know you want out and we're trying to move you, but work with us...your value is low...Just play and get your value back up, so we can get a good return" ...

And he's doing it! Imagine that!

There's a difference playing top 6 minutes in the NHL to "up his value" than go back to Hartford that he obviously don't like.

He has it better in Russia than in Hartford, even if that means not playing hockey. He's made that clear now.

Would you go to Siberia and work for a shitty salary just so your employer could get some extra value from you? Because that's the comparison here.

46 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Because he still wants out IIRC. I’d love tarasenko here but it would take a lot of maneuvering to get it done. Rangers have players to extend soon. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

There's a difference playing top 6 minutes in the NHL to "up his value" than go back to Hartford that he obviously don't like.

He has it better in Russia than in Hartford, even if that means not playing hockey. He's made that clear now.

Would you go to Siberia and work for a shitty salary just so your employer could get some extra value from you? Because that's the comparison here.

LOL that's definitely not the comparison as [again] it's silly to try and compare sports to other industries. Employers don't "trade" employees to other companies.

I'm not going to hijack this thread. Indisputable fact: For a hockey player who presumably wants to play hockey, playing hockey is better than not playing hockey.

1 hour ago, josh said:

If they getting rid of Kravtsov because of personality issues, tarasenko shouldn't be the target.

Why?  I'm unaware of Vald quitting on his team.  That's despite the team docs failing to fix his shoulder and the team failing to facilitate a trade after he requested it.  Still shows up for his teammates and plays at a high level.

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

Why?  I'm unaware of Vald quitting on his team.  That's despite the team docs failing to fix his shoulder and the team failing to facilitate a trade after he requested it.  Still shows up for his teammates and plays at a high level.

Yeah, Tarasenko is pissed at the team, and he should be. He lost a whole year of his career because of their ineptitude. 

The fact he's being a good soldier and still playing well speaks to how he's actually a player you should want.

• Like 2