• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Song of Ice & Fire (Book Discussion Only) *Possible Spoilers Inside*

4_4

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They added maps to the Dance With Dragons book I have. They're awesome.

[spoiler=The North]http://a1018.g.akamai.net/f/1018/19022/1d/randomhouse1.download.akamai.com/19022/images/A_Dance_With_Dragons/the_north.jpg

[spoiler=The South]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-l1TGyckszJw/Tmf6jkdGwAI/AAAAAAAACdk/cx5fYz4Xvbo/s1600/the_south.jpg

[spoiler=The Free Cities]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-F_bhMnhmu1o/Tmf6iBUCY2I/AAAAAAAACdc/iRe3pt1ta_o/s1600/the_free_cities.jpg

[spoiler=Valyria]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9rIg2syM5Ck/Tmf6kZUPmQI/AAAAAAAACdo/U9mBWhsT_7Y/s1600/valyria.jpg

Edited by Phil in Absentia

So, a question that is now possible, since all of you have at least read Game of Thrones by now:

Which big differences between Book and TV-show did you recognice and which disturbed you the most. So which change they made, you wouldn't have?

Answers should still be between Spoiler-Tags I think.

So, a question that is now possible, since all of you have at least read Game of Thrones by now:

Which big differences between Book and TV-show did you recognice and which disturbed you the most. So which change they made, you wouldn't have?

Answers should still be between Spoiler-Tags I think.

For me the biggest differences between book 1 and season 1 were minor:

1. The battle between Jamie and Ned where in the show Ned is speared by one of Jamie's guards, yet in the book Ned's own horse falling is what crushes his leg.

2. There's much less of a focus on the gods and mythology of the realm in the series than there is in the books, at least thus far. That's certainly likely to change with Melisandre coming in.

3. The homosexual relationship between Renly and Loras is really only hinted at in the book, but is up front and center in the series.

Things like that.

For me the biggest differences between book 1 and season 1 were minor:

1. The battle between Jamie and Ned where in the show Ned is speared by one of Jamie's guards, yet in the book Ned's own horse falling is what crushes his leg.

2. There's much less of a focus on the gods and mythology of the realm in the series than there is in the books, at least thus far. That's certainly likely to change with Melisandre coming in.

3. The homosexual relationship between Renly and Loras is really only hinted at in the book, but is up front and center in the series.

Things like that.

Ahh yea Ned and Jamie's fight was what I was thinking about. Completely forgot about Renly and Loras' relationship but that is defiinitely another another change I noticed a well.

In a way I kind of like the change in ned and jamie's fight. And I can understand the change in Renly and Loras' relationship. I think it is a lot easier to hint in a book than in a tv show. At least in a manner where there is no questions as to what just happened. With the upcoming changes in the next season I hope they are all as tastefully done as these two.

Well, I could live with those.

What disturbed me, was the massive change between Dany and Drogo. Rather than a mutual love, which it was in the book, it's him forcing himself on her at first and then after a while she seems to be scheming/seducing him into getting what she wants. He gave her freedom (from her brother) and she loved him for that, totally not happening in the show.

Well, I could live with those.

What disturbed me, was the massive change between Dany and Drogo. Rather than a mutual love, which it was in the book, it's him forcing himself on her at first and then after a while she seems to be scheming/seducing him into getting what she wants. He gave her freedom (from her brother) and she loved him for that, totally not happening in the show.

AH! Yes! I totally forgot about that (been so focused on ADWD). That was definitely an oddball decision.

It really leaves you scratching your head, as there was no need to portray it different from the book. I understand you have to change things for TV/Cinema.

Still, their relationship would not have demanded more screen time than it did. I also think Dany seems to be less naive in the show and she was naive before Drogo died (and in some ways still is), that's why she asked the whitch for help.

By the time the next one comes out, I will have to read the whole series again to even have a clue what's going on.

My biggest fear is yours — that Martin will die before he ever finishes writing these.

Yeah really.. You gotta think he has to live for at least another 10 years at the pace he writes to finish this thing. And he doesn't look lik ethe most healthy fellow does he? lol

I'm really hoping that HBO helps to push him to finish them. He's likely getting some nice royalties from the show, so I'm hoping with their plan to air one book each season (with books four and five happening in the time frame, and likely in the same season) that he's got three years or less to finish Winds of Winter, and I'd guess four years or less to finish the series.

I'm on the final chapter in A Dance With Dragons before the Epilogue. Not happy about it, either. Pisses me off knowing I'll have to wait what's likely to be years before GRRM releases The Winds of Winter, provided he doesn't die before then.

I'll say this much, too – if he dies before finishing this series and refuses to allow anyone to finish it for him, I'm going to be furious.

RIP Quentyn the Fool, and if Jon Snow dies I might just rage-quit this series. Fucking savages on the Wall!

Martin's inability to fnish his books have about killed me.

Had to wait 5 years between a Clash of Kings, and Feat of Crows.

Then another 6 years before a Dance of Dragons.

At one pont it was 10 years (2001-2011), and we had only one relase, (Crows).