• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So do You Play Rempe Game 2?

6 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This is true, but the record with and without him is starting to feel like more than just a coincidence at this point.

11 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

This is superstitious nonsense.  He has nothing to do with either win in this series.

People said the same shit about Avery. "He didn't even score," or "yeah, but Jagr did everything."

Great. Look at the fucking numbers. When he's in the lineup, they win way more than when he's not. They're UNDEFEATED right now. Why on earth are you changing anything about this roster? Don't fix what isn't broken. The big boys can take the extra shifts just fine. That's the whole point/value of beating a team like the caps in four. I might buy this argument about how it'll be extra tax on them if they were playing seven game series. To this point, they aren't. They aren't doing extended OTs much either.

Change. Nothing.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 3

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I love Rempe, but I'm also a little exhausted of the sideshow. He gets almost as much press as anyone else on the team, meanwhile there are 3 Conn Smythe candidates playing on a team that just went 6-0 in the playoffs, and we're sitting here talking about a fourth liner who plays 5 minutes a game and has a 50/50 shot of getting kicked out. 

I think everyone needs to move on. Whether or not he plays is completely inconsequential, and the less he plays the less anyone should care. 

Francesco Totti Smile GIF by AS Roma

• LMFAO 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I love Rempe, but I'm also a little exhausted of the sideshow. He gets almost as much press as anyone else on the team, meanwhile there are 3 Conn Smythe candidates playing on a team that just went 6-0 in the playoffs, and we're sitting here talking about a fourth liner who plays 5 minutes a game and has a 50/50 shot of getting kicked out. 

I think everyone needs to move on. Whether or not he plays is completely inconsequential, and the less he plays the less anyone should care. 

Who cares? Is anyone on the team suffering because of this? If anything, the sideshow is providing value, because the crowd loves him and cheers for him every time he touches the ice. His presence alone, however infrequent, brings them into the game every time he does touch the ice. And the team feeds off that energy.

All I see are positives.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Phil said:

People said the same shit about Avery. "He didn't even score," or "yeah, but Jagr did everything."

Great. Look at the fucking numbers. When he's in the lineup, they win way more than when he's not. They're UNDEFEATED right now. Why on earth are you changing anything about this roster? Don't fix what isn't broken. The big boys can take the extra shifts just fine. That's the whole point/value of beating a team like the caps in four. I might buy this argument about how it'll be extra tax on them if they were playing seven game series. To this point, they aren't. They aren't doing extended OTs much either.

Change. Nothing.

Yeah, I'm a big believer that as long as you are winning, you don't change that dynamic. Everything has a domino effect. I dont mess with that. 

• Keeps it 100 3

10 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This is true, but the record with and without him is starting to feel like more than just a coincidence at this point.

The Rangers of past years really didn't match up physically in the playoffs.  You had Trouba hitting people and Lindgren getting hit and that was about it.

Rempe, even on the bench gives the Rangers an edge on the ice because almost everybody else is more physical when he's in the rotation, even a little bit.

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

I Don't totally disagree with everything here, but Rempe didn't get a shift in the 3rd either... So practically an entire 2nd game played with 11 forwards. That may eventually take its toll. 

Fatigue might not show up in game 6, but it could show up in game 16. Players make mistakes when they're tired. 

I'm not 💯 sold on taking Rempe out, but there's definitely enough of an argument to make a case. 

Yeah ask the 2014 Rangers how they felt in the Finals when fatigue finally set in especially after 2 rounds of Game 7s and a round of Game 6.  

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Change. Nothing.

The sample size and working eyes say it's not all Rempe.  Him getting ejected twice in less than 15 seconds didn't then win those games.  He had nothing to do with them scoring two PP goals with the goal pulled in the Stadium Series game.  Again, there is a time and a place for what he brings.  This series ain't it, especially in Carolina.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers of past years really didn't match up physically in the playoffs.  You had Trouba hitting people and Lindgren getting hit and that was about it.

Rempe, even on the bench gives the Rangers an edge on the ice because almost everybody else is more physical when he's in the rotation, even a little bit.

They have plenty of edge to handle the Canes without him.  Like the rookie hits leader who can actually play effective hockey against the Canes speed.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Who cares? Is anyone on the team suffering because of this? If anything, the sideshow is providing value, because the crowd loves him and cheers for him every time he touches the ice. His presence alone, however infrequent, brings them into the game every time he does touch the ice. And the team feeds off that energy.

All I see are positives.

Yeah, I mean The point you're echoing here is mine. I said it over and over again. 

My point is that effect is now wavering. The crowd is not as in tune to him as in the beginning. It's starting to fade.

And PS, that effect we're talking about happened a whopping four times last night. Four. 

So once again I will say if he's not going to play, there's no point in dressing him. He's not giving you that boost from the bench. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Yeah ask the 2014 Rangers how they felt in the Finals when fatigue finally set in especially after 2 rounds of Game 7s and a round of Game 6.  

Again, they beat the Caps in four. They are up 2-0 on CAR currently. They've played just one overtime game through six games thus far. There is no tax right now. If and when things start to stretch, I'll better buy the fatigue argument.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, I mean The point you're echoing here is mine. I said it over and over again. 

My point is that effect is now wavering. The crowd is not as in tune to him as in the beginning. It's starting to fade.

And PS, that effect we're talking about happened a whopping four times last night. Four. 

So once again I will say if he's not going to play, there's no point in dressing him. He's not giving you that boost from the bench. 

And I'm open to both this argument (of the fading effect) and the idea of replacing him with a player who can give you more minutes ... when they lose. Until then, I change nothing.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Again, they beat the Caps in four. They are up 2-0 on CAR currently. They've played just one overtime game through six games thus far. There is no tax right now. If and when things start to stretch, I'll better buy the fatigue argument.

Right now but eventually it will set in, still a possibility that this series can go 7, and then what about the next series?

You don't want the players like Trocheck, Panarin, Zib, Kreider expending unnecessary energy when they don't have to.  

8 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The sample size and working eyes say it's not all Rempe.  Him getting ejected twice in less than 15 seconds didn't then win those games.  He had nothing to do with them scoring two PP goals with the goal pulled in the Stadium Series game.  Again, there is a time and a place for what he brings.  This series ain't it, especially in Carolina.

Of course it's not all Rempe. Just like it wasn't all Avery. That's not the point. The point is that he's been an overwhelmingly positive addition to the roster in spite of the fact he rarely plays. Even in games he doesn't fight, all it takes is one shift where he runs over a defender in the corner to wake the crowd up and get them chanting his name. That wakes them up, which in turn can fuel the team.

We're going to argue about this into eternity because we just fundamentally disagree on the principle of what these players represent. I buy into the theory that ex players like Mike Rupp have recently articulated about their value which, in a nutshell, suggests that their presence makes everyone feel two inches taller. Even though they don't play nearly enough. The key, like with Reaves, is to limit their deficiencies by not overexposing them or hanging on too long to where they are directly costing you games. To this point, the Rangers have done a masterful job with Rempe in this regard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Right now but eventually it will set in, still a possibility that this series can go 7, and then what about the next series?

You don't want the players like Trocheck, Panarin, Zib, Kreider expending unnecessary energy when they don't have to.  

Then we talk about it next series and I very likely agree with you that you probably/maybe/likely don't play him moving forward, or put him into a rotation.

There is no tax, currently, so I just don't buy the idea of "this will cost them" because they're arguably the most well-rested team in the entire playoffs.

• Applause 1

35 minutes ago, Phil said:

News flash: all teams shorten their bench in OT. Almost no one uses fourth liners, including good teams, like the Canes.

Rempe keeps playing until they lose.

Yeah, right, that’s why I was saying him not playing much from the 3rd period on doesn’t exactly kill you if the Canes are shortening their bench significantly more.

• Like 2

FYI, I'm in the thinking that it is a toss up whether Rempe plays or not, I see both sides.  

I wouldnt mind seeing him play in Game 3 just to have the Rempe effect on Carolina in their heads and hopefully keep things even keeled regarding the nastiness.  

Maybe sit him Game 4.  Hopefully come back to MSG 3-1, you put him back in for Game 5 for his 4-6 minutes, since the Rangers will have 2 days off between Games 5 and 6. 

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

And I'm open to both this argument (of the fading effect) and the idea of replacing him with a player who can give you more minutes ... when they lose. Until then, I change nothing.

I can understand that point of view as well. It's not one that I share, but I get it. The team won something like 10 out of 12 games and they still moved Trouba to the 3rd pair. When the writing is on the wall, sometimes you don't need to actually suffer the L.

And again, for me it's not whether or not he's going to take a penalty that the hurricanes may or may not score on. This is now all about his deployment, or lack thereof.

The beauty of Rempe was his ability to take a (quasi) regular shift. The second he loses that, he's just another face punching goon that really doesn't have a role in today's game, especially in the playoffs against an opponent like Carolina. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Biggest factor for me is the Rangers record without Rempe in the line-up which if my bad memory serves me right is 7-6.

44 minutes ago, Phil said:

News flash: all teams shorten their bench in OT. Almost no one uses fourth liners, including good teams, like the Canes.

Rempe keeps playing until they lose.

27 minutes ago, Phil said:

Change. Nothing.

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Then we talk about it next series and I very likely agree with you that you probably/maybe/likely don't play him moving forward, or put him into a rotation.

There is no tax, currently, so I just don't buy the idea of "this will cost them" because they're arguably the most well-rested team in the entire playoffs.

@RJWantsTheCupRobbie, sorry I took your wings last night!

@Phil Phil, not sorry I just stole all these quotes!!  LOL

I want my Rempe fix.  I just can't see us changing anything yet.  I like him even just being on the bench...just in case.

I get the 5 minutes a game point, and I do think over time that may lean on more players exhaustion...I think this kid has to be a part of this with these guys.  Just his presence alone being there makes me feel good about this team.

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

That's not how fatigue works.  Once they get there it's too late.

Just now, Ozzy said:

@RJWantsTheCupRobbie, sorry I took your wings last night!

@Phil Phil, not sorry I just stole all these quotes!!  LOL

I want my Rempe fix.  I just can't see us changing anything yet.  I like him even just being on the bench...just in case.

I get the 5 minutes a game point, and I do think over time that may lean on more players exhaustion...I think this kid has to be a part of this with these guys.  Just his presence alone being there makes me feel good about this team.

Just in case of what? Someone runs Igor? Twice? Oh...gee.

Yes, we know his presence makes you feel good, because you're a throwback to the days of face punching. It's not hockey related whatsoever lol. 

• LMFAO 1

Just now, Pete said:

Just in case of what? Someone runs Igor? Twice? Oh...gee.

Yes, we know his presence makes you feel good, because you're a throwback to the days of face punching. It's not hockey related whatsoever lol. 

Can't I have nice things too?  😃

Brodzinsky is an AHL player...Chytil last played a game in what, November? 

I'm all for leaving the Remper in there....I trust Lavvy to use him to the best of his ability.  The record with him in there isn't by accident.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Can't I have nice things too?  😃

You can, for 82 regular season games. 

I get my nice things for 16 playoff games. 

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Brodzinsky is an AHL player...Chytil last played a game in what, November? 

I'm all for leaving the Remper in there....I trust Lavvy to use him to the best of his ability.  The record with him in there isn't by accident.

Brodzinski was everyone's blue collar hero until Rempe and now he's just an AHL player? What is Rempe then?

That's just lazy Dude come on.