• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Alexander Wennberg From Seattle

He works really hard every shift.  The Rangers need guys like that because a few of the regulars take shifts off here and there.  Hard to do that when the new guy is playing 200 feet.

He's a quiet yet noticeable player. I can see him going a week without showing up on the box score other than minutes playd and face off stats, but still having given really meaningful minutes. 

Edited by Flynn

5 minutes ago, Flynn said:

He's a quiet yet noticeable player. I can see him going a week without showing up on the box score other than minutes playd and face off stats, but still having given really meaningful minutes. 

Yea.

He's also very good at picking the best available option and putting the puck in a place where his teammate can do something with it. I think that's going to benefit his linemates, moreso Kakko. Sometimes guys make passes on this team, and the pass itself is good, but it's not to the player who's in the most dangerous area of the ice. He is very good at it.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

It's incredibly early, but it's hard not to envision a world in which they look to retain him and figure out what the hell to do with the Chytil deal.

I know what was said about Chytil and about shutting him down until next season. But he is a hit away. I know none of us saw what happened during that skate at MSG. But if a simple bump during a skate with no one else on the ice can jolt him, what’s going to happen in an NHL game? I have a hard time envisioning him playing again.

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I know what was said about Chytil and about shutting him down until next season. But he is a hit away. I know none of us saw what happened during that skate at MSG. But if a simple bump during a skate with no one else on the ice can jolt him, what’s going to happen in an NHL game? I have a hard time envisioning him playing again.

That's the problem with head injuries. There really is no way to quantify severity, length, nor how to fully avoid future issues. We also are 100% at Chytil's mercy with what he wants to do. When he wants to come back and is symptom free, I don't believe we really have the power to stop him really so it's not as if we can completely replace him either for cap ramifications. 

14 hours ago, Phil said:

It's incredibly early, but it's hard not to envision a world in which they look to retain him and figure out what the hell to do with the Chytil deal.

Not at all early imo, I think he’s fit the 2/3c role perfectly in ways Chytil would not. Haven’t seen much scoring touch but I get Phillip Danault from this guy every time he’s on the ice. That’s the player you want in 3c ideally not for a lot of money

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valriera said:

Not at all early imo, I think he’s fit the 2/3c role perfectly in ways Chytil would not. Haven’t seen much scoring touch but I get Phillip Danault from this guy every time he’s on the ice. That’s the player you want in 3c ideally not for a lot of money

If he keeps playing this way, to be honest I have a hard time keeping him as he just makes the team older.

If he gives you a little bit more offense, then he's going to want more money, and there are a lot of other teams who are going to want him too. 

I'm just going to enjoy the ride, because I don't think he's very likely to be here next season.

Roslovic on the other hand... I feel like he's right on the edge of breaking through here and he's got that versatility of also being able to play 3C if needed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

If he keeps playing this way, to be honest I have a hard time keeping him as he just makes the team older.

If he gives you a little bit more offense, then he's going to want more money, and there are a lot of other teams who are going to want him too. 

I'm just going to enjoy the ride, because I don't think he's very likely to be here next season.

Roslovic on the other hand... I feel like he's right on the edge of breaking through here and he's got that versatility of also being able to play 3C if needed. 

34 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I think we should just enjoy Wennberg while he's here.  Players like him are hard to value because they don't score goals and that's the basis of the game.

Yeah, I can see the logic in all of this. Especially because, if we're being honest, we like him because he's competent and only costing them like $2 million, not $4.5 million.

The other thing is that Mika is going to be a 3rd line center quicker than we imagine.

What the Rangers are looking for over the long-term is a top 6 center to replace him.  We're not going to love the cap number but we're still going to love Zibby when he is on the 3rd line making life hard for the other team's 1st line.

11 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The other thing is that Mika is going to be a 3rd line center quicker than we imagine.

What the Rangers are looking for over the long-term is a top 6 center to replace him.  We're not going to love the cap number but we're still going to love Zibby when he is on the 3rd line making life hard for the other team's 1st line.

Trocheck will be the 3C way before Mika is.

22 hours ago, Phil said:

You know who wouldn't look half bad as a Right Wing?

6 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

You know who wouldn't look half bad as a Right Wing?

Yeah, Jack Roslovic, who doesn't feel like he's a light breeze away from forced retirement.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

If he’s healthy and cleared to play and wants to continue, then yeah… you look at moving him to RW. 

It would be a huge add if Chytil could come back in any regular capacity.  I'm doubtful but I'd be really happy if he figured it out.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

It would be a huge add if Chytil could come back in any regular capacity.  I'm doubtful but I'd be really happy if he figured it out.

It’s all just a big wait and see. 
I think at this point it’s probably at best a 50/50 proposition though.