• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Alexander Wennberg From Seattle

Overall, he’s a serviceable NHLer, a reliable minute muncher, and someone able to play in all situations. It’s not a sexy add because Wennberg falls into a lower-end-of-the-roster grey area. He’s not a genuine top-six forward on a good team, but he can be an effective and versatile third-liner — which is really what the Rangers needed at this point.

The cost wasn’t exorbitant, though the scarcity of available centers probably drove it up a bit.

Wennberg had 25 points in 60 games for Seattle and was only 46.7 in the faceoff circle, which is right around his career average (he’s never been above 50 percent in the faceoff circle in his NHL career).

His recent resume conjures up terms such as useful, average, someone to provide depth. Coaches trust him — at least Dave Hakstol did in Seattle. With Wennberg, what you see is what you get. Considering what was left out there, it could have been a lot worse.

Wennberg is someone who can be very effective if his deployment is right. Seattle has leaned on him pretty heavily over the last few years. He set career highs in ice time over the last two seasons, playing upwards of 18:40 a game, on average, with the Kraken. That likely won’t be the case in New York, and fewer minutes should have a positive impact on his results.

With the Rangers, Wennberg will likely be deployed strictly in a third-line capacity to help deepen the forward group. He is someone who can be counted on to take on top competition, which should help free up Zibanejad a bit more, and alleviate a fourth line that has been over-leveraged at times this year. Wennberg scores at the rate of a middle-six forward and shouldn’t be counted on for his shot volume. The Rangers can expect him to help move the puck out of their own zone, which is something a lot of their defenders have struggled with this season, and be a reliable playmaker for his linemates. Wennberg’s game isn’t flashy, but he does the little things right. He is overall a disruptive forward both at even strength and on the penalty kill, which checks off what the Rangers need in this role.

https://theathletic.com/5321714/2024/03/06/nhl-trade-grades-alex-wennberg-rangers-kraken/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mbob said:

I like it with retention. Do we drop Brod down to 4 and try moving Goodrow in the next move?

I like it with no spit no lube, sandpaper finish.

• LMFAO 1
  • JIMMY! 2

Mostly to post the link for tsn trade tracker and trade bait site, here is take on Wennberg trade to stay within content for thread

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/new-york-rangers-acquire-alex-wennberg-from-seattle-kraken-for-draft-picks-1.2085647

Other links for site - and they include a red highlight for trades they consider major

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/trade-tracker

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-board-1.2079080

1 minute ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Well we have gone down the road of big splash guys who never worked out so maybe this is a small splash guy to generates a tidal wave.

Or some such

If I was a betting man I’d say Drury ain’t done yet. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

4 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Well we have gone down the road of big splash guys who never worked out so maybe this is a small splash guy to generates a tidal wave.

Or some such

I think that getting Kane was the worst thing that could have happened to us last year. All of a sudden , there was some legend named "Showtime" in the room and It upset the entire leadership structure. Nobody knew who the drivers were supposed to be despite a successful regular season. I'm totally good with Drury filling the holes with competent widgets.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hard to complain, he's fine, and the cost was fine. I'm happy.

If Vatrano is the other shoe to drop, though, well, that would suck. He blows. Vinny Littieri is on waivers, basically the same player, I might even like Vinny more. Vatrano is just a classic garbage player, on a garbage team playing garbage minutes against garbage goalies.

Puts up 28 goals lol

The trap is so obvious.

Confused James Franco GIF

So we had a third line that was our most effective 5v5 for some weeks.  We blow it up, moving Kakko up, where he never seems to excel, and getting Wennberg as the new center.  

• Keeps it 100 1

I Dont Like It Steve Austin GIF by BuzzFeed

Not the proper type of player to bring in for a playoff push. This team is already pass happy and they bring in a guy who puts up 3rd liner stats with too 6 icetime. 

I don't understand how that will translate into anything the Rangers need from the 3rd line. If he gets 3rd line minutes does he put up 5th liner stats? 

I'd rather have rolled with Brodzinski. And I really didn't want to roll with Brodzinski. 

If he spells Zibanejad on the PK, I might like it. Zibanejad is a really good defensive player. But, I think that pressure and those minutes I zaps his energy and his mentality. 

I just don't see this guy as the type of guy you load up on. Something a little mote speedy or a bit more gritty. A north south player.  I don't think Wennberg checks these boxes or many others. 

Jesus Drury. You couldn't get fucking Gourde? Or Eberle? You've been on the phone for a god damn month for this schmoe? 

16 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

So we had a third line that was our most effective 5v5 for some weeks.  We blow it up, moving Kakko up, where he never seems to excel, and getting Wennberg as the new center.  

Dollars to doughnuts, there's a new 1RW coming in that sends Kakko back to the 3rd line. Looking at Wennberg's chops as a playmaker and a defender, I will be very surprised if he doesn't make that unit better. Brodz has been a quick, energetic, highly reactive 3C that is good in the moment. I have not gotten the feeling that he has a vision that sees plays a couple steps ahead and knows how to direct the outcome. It sounds like the Kraken has leaned on Wenn as a steadying force and minutes eater. I think there's a high likelihood that he's a noticeable upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Maybe she has 3 sisters that can get up in the middle of the night.

Maybe she has three sisters that own donut franchises and Laf goes on a heater

• LMFAO 1

4 hours ago, Dem said:

I'd be down w that

Goodie is pretty versatile, and gritty. I probably keep him for this run but if I was trying to clear cap he could be an option.