• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers in Market for Center; Interested in Sean Monahan? Nope. Traded to Winnipeg

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Which would be grabbing a center for the sake of grabbing a center. He doesn't help them enough in the areas that they need it offensively or defensively. 

Probably true, but it's more than likely where they are headed.

• Believe 1

15 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Henrique is probably the best option, but don't hear much chatter about him.

What would it take to get him?

A lobotomy.

Please don't put me through this shit.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Screenshot-2024-02-01-at-10-27-23-AM.png

Screenshot-2024-02-01-at-10-29-04-AM.png

I think you're trying to illustrate the alternatives not being much better than Brodz? However his sample size is way too small compared to the other two I would think. Half as many minutes. If he played 600 minutes his numbers would be much worse, probably. 

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

A lobotomy.

Please don't put me through this shit.

We've adopted Quick already, and now we're going to cast out the next demon.

You know who we should get as a kicker, just for shits & giggles?  That "defenseman guy" who's name shall remain nameless...that's who!!  😃

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you're trying to illustrate the alternatives not being much better than Brodz? However his sample size is way too small compared to the other two I would think. Half as many minutes. If he played 600 minutes his numbers would be much worse, probably. 

The two targets have track record, that's for sure, but I think mostly what I'm trying to illustrate is that we shouldn't expect an astronomic impact. Brodzinski has caught a lot of flak as "just an AHL player", but when you look at the production, it's been in line and in some ways better with what is left on the market. C seems like a thin position on the market this year. I'm under no illusion that Brodzinski is better than these guys, but I think an argument exists that he's given us closer to what we'd get from them than we think and he still gets ridiculed for what he is, which makes me balk at paying the price for them.

Edited by BrooksBurner

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The two targets have track record, that's for sure, but I think mostly what I'm trying to illustrate is that we shouldn't expect an astronomic impact. Brodzinski has caught a lot of flak as "just an AHL player", but when you look at the production, it's been in line and in some ways better with what is left on the market. C seems like a thin position on the market this year. I'm under no illusion that Brodzinski is better than these guys, but I think an argument exists that he's given us closer to what we'd get from them than we think and he still gets ridiculed for what he is, which makes me balk at paying the price for them.

Brodz has probably established himself as an NHL’er, just not one that should have the role he currently plays.

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Got it. 

I would think that they would go after somebody who could shift the role of that third line into what Lavvy envisions, or push Tro down.

I think Henrique is a much better defensive player than Brodz, and either one of them can slide into a top six roll and push Tro down in a way that Brodz can't. 

That's my guess on there thinking, but who knows with Elias off the market which way they go. 

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Got it. 

I would think that they would go after somebody who could shift the role of that third line into what Lavvy envisions, or push Tro down.

I think Henrique is a much better defensive player than Brodz, and either one of them can slide into a top six roll and push Tro down in a way that Brodz can't. 

That's my guess on there thinking, but who knows with Elias off the market which way they go. 

I think the price on Henrique and Monahan went up after that Lindholm deal. They are all that's left, and Lindholm got a king's ransom. A 1st + a prospect sounds right for either of them now. At minimum, a conditional 1st with an easier to achieve conditional attached. This is a bad year to be buying a rental center.

On the flip side, there's a laundry list of rental defenseman: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-trade-candidates-2023-24/

If not Miller, I'd start to wonder if Lindgren can't be used in a deal to get a non-rental center, and defense gets back filled with a rental.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Henrique is probably the best option, but don't hear much chatter about him.

What would it take to get him?

I think it was Friedman, if not him then another reputable guy, that said he had heard chatter about the Rangers and Henrique and this was just a few days ago. So while not loud, it’s there.

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think the price on Henrique and Monahan went up after that Lindholm deal. They are all that's left, and Lindholm got a king's ransom. A 1st + a prospect sounds right for either of them now. At minimum, a conditional 1st with an easier to achieve conditional attached. This is a bad year to be buying a rental center.

On the flip side, there's a laundry list of rental defenseman: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-trade-candidates-2023-24/

If not Miller, I'd start to wonder if Lindgren can't be used in a deal to get a non-rental center, and defense gets back filled with a rental.

I don't want a rental center. I want one with term from a team that doesn't have playoff hopes this year. I'm so tired of this merry go round every TDL to fill the same holes. I'm not saying it's easy mid season but it's possible. As far as trading draft picks, we may as well. Even when we take the consensus #1 and #2 OA, they disappoint so hell, it's worth it to just buy on the open market as opposed to drafting for this org.

55 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Rangers run of "bad luck" coincides pretty much with Brodzinski's addition to the lineup.  Not saying it is his fault but he and Adam Fox hit the ice and things have pretty much sucked since then.

• LOL 1

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers run of "bad luck" coincides pretty much with Brodzinski's addition to the lineup.  Not saying it is his fault but he and Adam Fox hit the ice and things have pretty much sucked since then.

Classic example of correlation not causation.

Another example was that the Rangers happened to fall off a cliff defensively after Kakko got hurt. It was being pointed at as a core reason for the decline. Since he's come back, the Rangers are 18th in GA at 5v5. The correlation was there, but the causation was not. The reality is it had nothing to do with Kakko, and it had everything to do with goaltending and bad habits re-surfacing from the team et large.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Applause 1

11 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

What's next?  Get Alec Martinez too while we're at it.  Already got Jonathon Quick.  

Yup. Let's do it. Got Quick. Get Henrique. Get Pageau from the Islanders. See what Tyler Johnson would cost us. 

We're building a Suicide Squad!

• LOL 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Classic example of correlation not causation.

Another example was that the Rangers happened to fall off a cliff defensively after Kakko got hurt. It was being pointed at as a core reason for the decline. Since he's come back, the Rangers are 18th in GA at 5v5. The correlation was there, but the causation was not. The reality is it had nothing to do with Kakko, and it had everything to do with goaltending and bad habits re-surfacing from the team et large.

Brodzinski was a 1st liner leading the AHL in scoring when he came up.  My quick take is that he's still playing the style of a 1st liner in whatever roles he's placed in and that his skills mean that he's a weak center while doing that in whatever role he's placed in.

I definitely think he's part of the problem but this team has so many problem children (and vets) right now that he doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.