• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers in Market for Center; Interested in Sean Monahan? Nope. Traded to Winnipeg

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not into getting Lindholm as a rental for a feast of players...forget it.

I think you hit on a good idea with Hayes, G man.  I'd take Hayes from St. Louis and Duclair from the Sharks back on the cheap, and I think that would give us some good balance.

The big issue with Hayes is that the Blues have gone on a bit of a heater recently and combined with the Predators, Kraken, Coyotes, and Flames being so goddamn mediocre, the Blues are in a playoff spot right now.  With the Kings in complete freefall, that may get more secure and turn the Blues into cautious buyers. There's a world where the Rangers can one-stop-shop the Blues for Hayes and Scandella, but the Blues gotta fade off a little first. 

I also like the idea of one-stop-shopping the Sharks for Barabanov and Duclair. A speedy, creative top 6 winger and a guy who just fucking works his ass off. @Phil can beat the drum on his Minnesota Raid approach to the deadline as he sees fit, too.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

7 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The big issue with Hayes is that the Blues have gone on a bit of a heater recently and combined with the Predators, Kraken, Coyotes, and Flames being so goddamn mediocre, the Blues are in a playoff spot right now.  With the Kings in complete freefall, that may get more secure and turn the Blues into cautious buyers. There's a world where the Rangers can one-stop-shop the Blues for Hayes and Scandella, but the Blues gotta fade off a little first. 

I also like the idea of one-stop-shopping the Sharks for Barabanov and Duclair. A speedy, creative top 6 winger and a guy who just fucking works his ass off. @Phil can beat the drum on his Minnesota Raid approach to the deadline as he sees fit, too.

I gotcha on St. Lou....I wouldn't mind either of those deals.  Reason being, I'm not into trading any of the top 6, or top 6 D, to make a "blockbuster" for a Lindholm.  I think we can get a solid 3rd line center, and RW that "fits" what Lavvy is looking for, cheaply for picks and maybe a Zac Jones at most.

Is Barabanov a Center though?  When we played them last week, he was on the wing I thought.

Edited by Ozzy

Just now, Ozzy said:

I gotcha on St. Lou....I wouldn't mind either of those deals.  Reason being, I'm not into trading any of the top 6, or top 6 D, to make a "blockbuster" for a Lindholm.  I think we can get a solid 3rd line center, and RW that "fits" what Lavvy is looking for, cheaply for picks and maybe a Zac Jones at most.

We simply won't put together the best offer here. I cannot imagine the Rangers are going to deal Othmann or Perreault without an extension in place for the player being acquired, and I see no chance for Lindholm to re-up with us. He'd be leaving millions on the table. 

So when Dallas comes knocking with a 1st, Mavrik Bourque or Lian Bichsel, and a roster player, and they're totally okay with that deal? Or when the Jets throw a 1st and Rutger McGroarty at the Flames? We're probably out of the running at that point, and honestly...for a guy who won't out-slot Trocheck, we really shouldn't be paying that kind of capital. We can be smarter about this than simply "go for the big name".

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

The trade packages being thrown around for Lindholm are insane. It's like, 1st, top prospect, roster wing.

For him to slot in at 3c on this team - and yes, he'd slot in behind Trocheck at this point -  and to get PP2 time? That's a really heavy price. 

Agreed but not if the plan is to sign him after. 

I think if the player is interested in signing and you can talk to him about it before the trade then that’s a deal I make because right now, behind trochek, we are so paper thin. One injury to Mika or Trochek and we flat out lose. Monahan cannot backfill those two slots. We don't even have a prospect that could fill  the spot, let alone one who is good enough to. It's too much risk for me in the most important forward position. I'd be happy to trade a forward or Miller to patch it up. 

But I agree it’s steep and pragmatism may dictate trying to shore up the center position in two years rather than this summer. It's hard because we will have to pay to fill a hole that was dug for free. But it's a hole that needs filling 

I also don't think the money will work out without a sep move to dump someone like Goodrow's cap, but it's not unthinkable. 

Edited by Valriera

10 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Agreed but not if the plan is to sign him after. 

I think if the player is interested in signing and you can talk to him about it before the trade then that’s a deal I make because right now, behind trochek, we are so paper thin. One injury to Mika or Trochek and we flat out lose. Monahan cannot backfill those two slots. We don't even have a prospect that could fill  the spot, let alone one who is good enough to. It's too much risk for me in the most important forward position. I'd be happy to trade a forward or Miller to patch it up. 

But I agree it’s steep and pragmatism may dictate trying to shore up the center position in two years rather than this summer. It's hard because we will have to pay to fill a hole that was dug for free. But it's a hole that needs filling 

I also don't think the money will work out without a sep move to dump someone like Goodrow's cap, but it's not unthinkable. 

I think you have a few avenues to have your cake and eat it too. I threw around Kevin Hayes - he'd do the trick. Ryan Hartman would do the trick. Vom, but Adam Henrique could be okay in that situation. Hell, if Mikael Granlund can get healthy and the Sharks don't mind eating some cap, he isn't a terrible call either.

Looking at CapFriendly, we'd have no real issue fitting someone like Lindholm in next year. It's the FOLLOWING year that is a real problem because next year, Kakko and Lindgren are due new contracts, and they're not getting huge raises. The year after, however, we still have all the contracts we currently have except Laf, Miller, and Cuylle are all up for new deals. Cuylle is certainly getting a raise into the ~2M territory, Laf is certainly going to make more than the ~2.5 he's making, unsure how much more, and Miller is absolutely going above 3.5, maybe even into the 6-7 range. On the open market he'd get 8, but he's an RFA. Someone would easily acquire him to sign him for a huge 8x8 situation that we cannot afford. 

Pretending we don't even sign someone like Lindholm, I don't even know how we fit those three contracts with everything as-is today. 

All this to say that while attractive I'm not sure how the sign and trade situation works without parting with someone like Miller AND ALSO without a plan to dump Goodrow or Kreider. 

The thing is, it's also not a problem we can ignore because with a center Rental, we're back in the same problem next year  and the year after if we don't address the problem. 

I guess Lindholm is not the answer. He's an oldish player (29) who is going to be expensive. But I'm not sure a rental is either.  

Ideally we make a hockey trade involving miller for a center of similar age who is going to come into RFA at the same time or a year or two later than Miller and slot them into 3c. None of the players on that list qualify, though. 

If we're looking at Minnesota, Hartman is not who I go after, but Eriksson Ek. Miller plus a little will get that player and it's a manageable contract. I'm sure there are other similar targets tho 

On 1/29/2024 at 11:22 AM, LindG1000 said:

Minney is just my first call. San Jose would be another for the same duo you mentioned. Barabanov is probably one of those low-key adds that ends up paying off big despite costing you next to nothing.

I want to one-stop shop anywhere that can offer a good 1-2 combo of C/RW and/or D. Minney makes sense on all three if you also go after Bogosian.

• Like 1

If the Kings continue to slide, how about a hockey trade of Miller for Danault? 

Do the Kings really need Danault after the Dubois trade? They did just bring up Turcotte. Maybe they are showcasing him or prepping him. 

Danault has 3 years at 5.5 remaining.  

Perfect middle 6 C. 

Kings have Doughty as their primary offensive D man, but from what I see, thats it. 

Maybe they shake it up a bit to get Dubois more icetime (hes hovering at 15.43) and have a sense of a more complete roster? 

Danault was the move to make a few years ago. 5.5 for that guy us an absolute steal. 

Any D for F trade creates a gigantic hole on defense that the team can't fill internally. You're looking at full-time Zac Jones or Connor Mackey in a top-four role. This is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Just now, Phil said:

Any D for F trade creates a gigantic hole on defense that the team can't fill internally. You're looking at full-time Zac Jones or Connor Mackey in a top-four role. This is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Looks like an upgrade in the DZ to me

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

We're short a RW and a C at minimum.  Sometimes you have to balance things out in ways that are not initially comfortable.

36 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not sure why everyone says this. Everyone forgets Gustafsson is pretty much a better defensive version of Miller. 

Lindgren-Fox

Gustafsson- Trouba 

Jones/Mackey/trade- Schneider 

If you're concerned about after this year. There's plenty of mediocre D men to back fill. Including Gustafsson. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not sure why everyone says this. Everyone forgets Gustafsson is pretty much a better defensive version of Miller. 

Lindgren-Fox

Gustafsson- Trouba 

Jones/Mackey/trade- Schneider 

If you're concerned about after this year. There's plenty of mediocre D men to back fill. Including Gustafsson. 

Gus is absolutely a better defenseman than K'Andre Miller. I have no doubt who I trust on the ice more in playoff OT.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Gus is absolutely a better defenseman than K'Andre Miller. I have no doubt who I trust on the ice more in playoff OT.

If Danault is a no go (very likely its not, I was spit balling)

Im leaning big time at Miller for Zegras. If Chytil is done for life, the Rangers need to replace that skill level quickly. Such a move replaces/slightly upgrades the Chytil spot. Getting a long term solution for that spot is a must. Zegras was supposedly on the block, so that's why I brought it back up for discussion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

If the Kings continue to slide, how about a hockey trade of Miller for Danault? 

Do the Kings really need Danault after the Dubois trade? They did just bring up Turcotte. Maybe they are showcasing him or prepping him. 

Danault has 3 years at 5.5 remaining.  

Perfect middle 6 C. 

Kings have Doughty as their primary offensive D man, but from what I see, thats it. 

Maybe they shake it up a bit to get Dubois more icetime (hes hovering at 15.43) and have a sense of a more complete roster? 

Danault was the move to make a few years ago. 5.5 for that guy us an absolute steal. 

They’re more likely trying to get rid of dubois. 

Gustafson is absolutely not better defensively than Miller. On his best defensive days he's as good as Miller's worst defensive days. There's a reason that Coach who knows him so well gives him 63% O zone starts.

There's a reason he's a journeyman third pairing defenseman who can't stick with a team.

• LMFAO 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Didn't they just get him? Buyers remorse already? They just paid the guy LOL. 

Yes and it was a bad move as he’s not a very good hockey player 

Edited by siddious

Just now, Pete said:

Gustafson is absolutely not better defensively than Miller. On his best defensive days he's as good as Miller's worst defensive days. There's a reason that Coach who knows him so well gives him 63% O zone starts.

There's a reason he's a journeyman third pairing defenseman who can't stick with a team.

They're pretty equal. I trust Gustafsson controlling the puck on the blue line late in a game. I don't trust Miller with the puck anywhere. 

Miller's future looks more and more like what Gustafsson has done. Despite being on the move a lot, the guy is always putting up 30 points and is given decent minutes. 

Let's not pat Miller on the back for getting D zone starts. He's been absolutely brutal for over a month+,  It's a miracle he's +4. 

Gustafsson can do Miller's job seamlessly. That doesn't bode very well for Miller. 

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They're pretty equal. I trust Gustafsson controlling the puck on the blue line late in a game. I don't trust Miller with the puck anywhere. 

Miller's future looks more and more like what Gustafsson has done. Despite being on the move a lot, the guy is always putting up 30 points and is given decent minutes. 

Let's not pat Miller on the back for getting D zone starts. He's been absolutely brutal for over a month+,  It's a miracle he's +4. 

Gustafsson can do Miller's job seamlessly. That doesn't bode very well for Miller. 

Well the thing is that he can't. And it's not just about this season, it's about beyond.

It's kind of a habit around here, but your comparing one player in Gus who's playing really good hockey against Miller who's playing the worst hockey of his career. One of them is likely to become much better, the other one topped out ... Gustafson. 

First of all, looking at OZ FO% is a lot more indicative of who the coach trusts the most to generate offense in a favorable scenario, and a lot less about how he feels about them defensively. Fox has the highest OZ Start FO% on the team at 59 and I assure you Laviolette does not think he's the worst defender on the team because of his OZ FO%. Second, the 63% number for Gus is at all strengths, and he got a lot of reps at PP when Fox was out. So on top of the stat in general being a garbage indicator for making assertions, all strengths makes it doubly worse. It means nothing.

5v5 OZ FO%

Fox - 59

Gus - 57

Lindgren - 53

Schneider - 53

Miller - 50

Trouba - 50

Jones - 49

It is common practice for a coach to make sure he prioritizes his best offensive players getting OZ starts, and the rest get the scraps. That doesn't mean the best offensive players aren't also better in the DZ. It should be telling that Gus-Schneider have been prioritized for generating offense over Miller-Trouba. P.S. - I guess Jones is the best defender on the team! Wow! Who knew

Edited by BrooksBurner