• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers in Market for Center; Interested in Sean Monahan? Nope. Traded to Winnipeg

51 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Miller needs a sports therapist or whatever they are called.  His problem is mental and a lack of hockey iq.  

I would move him away from his current partner, just as an experiment.

38 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

I am way more disappointed with Kakko than Miller play

Miller has great assets but at times he has some brain farts ,plus he doesn't use his size enough ,can you please use those good wheels and run  someone over once in a while

I agree on this. Kakko has turned into a bigger disappointment than he initially had been.  

He's gone from legit scoring prospect.  To mediocre scoring prospect that can play a defensively responsible game. To JAG that we hope can do something,  anything to contribute to a hockey game.  

The trajectory of this player and its immediate fall off is something I'll never understand.  How a world wide accepted consensus of a player who can do almost anything offensively, is shifted and coached away from what he was drafted for to be what he is today.

Instead of focusing and honing on his skillset, they pushed him into a defensive mold in an effort to make a more complete player. Just abandoning what made him the 2nd pick of a draft. Never going back to those offensive instincts to push him as such a player.

If you don't want an offensive winger with warts in his 200' game. Don't draft one. Because the gameplan (with Rangers) in fixing such players, typically turns so one sided that they really don't ever get back to what they drafted. 

I expected a 40 goal, 70-80+ point offensive producing einger who had massive holes in his D game,  solely because of his lack of foot speed and skating. We have a potential 10 goal guy that can't find his footing on any line. What a waste of a kid that had offensive potential. 

59 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

I am way more disappointed with Kakko than Miller play

Miller has great assets but at times he has some brain farts ,plus he doesn't use his size enough ,can you please use those good wheels and run  someone over once in a while

He should be using his size and speed to effectively close gaps and lanes.

The talk about him needing to hit people to be effective really needs to stop. It's not everybody's game, nor does it need to be.

It's 2024 not 1984. 

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

He should be using his size and speed to effectively close gaps and lanes.

The talk about him needing to hit people to be effective really needs to stop. It's not everybody's game, nor does it need to be.

It's 2024 not 1984. 

Agreed. He’s in the Kreider mold in terms of underphysicality for his size. Everyone will always want him to truck people, but it’s not in his DNA. Just how it is.

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agreed. He’s in the Kreider mold in terms of underphysicality for his size. Everyone will always want him to truck people, but it’s not in his DNA. Just how it is.

Yes, and not only that, it isn't necessary.

The two teams in the finals were number 10 and number 12 in hits per 60 among playoff teams. 

https://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?report=realtime&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20222023&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=3&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=hitsPer60&page=0&pageSize=50

They weren't near the top in regular season either. 

https://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?report=realtime&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20222023&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=hitsPer60&page=0&pageSize=50

Long, lanky, rangy defensemen who can skate are the new Hatchers. It's why I'm so reluctant to give up on Key. He's a prototypical next gen defenseman. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I expected a 40 goal, 70-80+ point offensive producing einger who had massive holes in his D game,  solely because of his lack of foot speed and skating. We have a potential 10 goal guy that can't find his footing on any line. What a waste of a kid that had offensive potential. 

How do you get from lack of foot speed and mediocre skating to the 40 goals and 70 points?  Especially from a winger?

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

With Winnipeg looking like they are acquiring Monahan, we just have to avoid Henrique now. Almost in the clear

Can't you just picture the Garden crowd chanting "Henrique" when he's the Conn Smythe Winner for the Stanley Cup Champion NY Rangers?

• LMFAO 1

34 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Can't you just picture the Garden crowd chanting "Henrique" when he's the Conn Smythe Winner for the Stanley Cup Champion NY Rangers?

@Phil will still get the dry heaves!

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I don’t know whether to hate or love this post. Like when my wife asks me if it’s in yet and it is. It feels good but on the inside I’m crying

• Cheers 1
  • JIMMY! 3

I'd straight up sit down and stop cheering when the Cup goes to him. Same on any goal he scores.

Cup to Trouba > YAYYYYYY
Cup to Kreider > YAYYYYYYYYY
Cup to Trocheck > YAYYYYYY

Cup to Henrique >

faa29585-ee4a-4cd3-8bc3-cf1185f95c14-202

Cup to Fox > YAYYYYYY

• LMFAO 1

• LindG1000 changed the title to Rangers in Market for Center; Interested in Sean Monahan? Nope. Monahan to Winnipeg
4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Personally, I think Drury may be looking at a Vatrano/Henrique pairing. Solves both holes or question marks in the lineup.

That's an expensive deal in a seller's market, which is where we are right now with Lindholm and Monahan already off the market.

I'd be really leery of making that deal (whatever it is) given that the core were waiting for Tank and Kane to take the lead last season.  What Vatrano and Henrique are doing now is admirable but the Ducks still suck.  No different for the Rangers if everybody is waiting for somebody else to take the lead.

If I was going to make a trade as expensive as that one is likely to be I'd definitely be going out and getting a leader to round the core up by their noses and lead them to a cup. 

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

How do you get from lack of foot speed and mediocre skating to the 40 goals and 70 points?  Especially from a winger?

Ask Ovechkin. Ask Jagr. Ask St. Louis. Ask Debrincat. Ask Jeff Skinner. Ask most goal scorers really. 

Knowing where to go on the ice and having a lethal shot, can get players a long way. Poor skating isn't always a death sentence for goal scorers. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'm curious to see what Winnipeg is going to give up.  Maybe Drury stayed away for a reason other than "Gorton" and bad blood.

I think it's more about fit.

Monahan is getting top minutes and PP time to get his production. He wouldn't get that here. The stats wouldn't transfer over and he'd probably not fit the need. It'd be a disappointment and a steer in the wrong direction.  

I think they're going more traditional 3C . Frederick Gaudreau types. I'd really like that Johansson suggestion Brooks had. Very flexible player that doesn't have to be at his best, just competent with the ability to slide up if needed. Both these players have history with Laviolette too. So, they might be very "plug and play" like Gustafsson was. 

Henrique is also a fit for such a role. All options are also much cheaper in trade. 

Edited by The Dude

Just now, The Dude said:

I think it's more about fit.

Monahan is getting top minutes and PP time to get his production. He wouldn't get that here. The stats wouldn't transfer over and he'd probably not fit the need. It'd be a disappointment and a steer in the wrong direction.  

I think they're going more traditional 3C . Frederick Gaudreau types. I'd really like that Johansson suggestion Brooks had. Very flexible player that doesn't have to be at his best, just competent with the ability to slide up if needed. Both these players have history with Laviolette too. So, they might be very "plug and play" like Gustafsson was. 

I'm more in line with keeping it "not a blockbuster", Dude man.  I think this team is pretty well set with what they've got, after we get a 3C and a RW that shoots the puck well.

I think we're as good as anyone after that....I just don't wanna have to give up the farm to get them.

• VINNY! 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm more in line with keeping it "not a blockbuster", Dude man.  I think this team is pretty well set with what they've got, after we get a 3C and a RW that shoots the puck well.

I think we're as good as anyone after that....I just don't wanna have to give up the farm to get them.

I'm fine with a blockbuster to get rid of Miller instead of prospects. Zegras, Eriksson Ek or something like that. 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Personally, I think Drury may be looking at a Vatrano/Henrique pairing. Solves both holes or question marks in the lineup.

I had the same thought and I would love that, obviously depending on price/retention.

Gotta make that deal without pulling pieces off the roster though.