• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Miller Time.... To Talk About Moving Miller

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

They don't? What age do they hit their strides? I thought it was 24 or their 4th year. He should be in his stride. He's playing terrible. 

But ok. We agree to disagree.

Disagree. It takes longer than that for young D to hit their potential.  

4 minutes ago, delneggs said:

Disagree. It takes longer than that for young D to hit their potential.  

Not longer than 4. . Do we have to wait till he's 27? When is enough enough? 

He's getting worse. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think I’d try to move Miller in a deal for Chychrun right now. That would have an immediate and hugely positive impact defensively. Then rent a C. They’ll have to find another way in the summer to get a top 6 forward.

Nah. Plenty of mediocre D men available in FA this summer. Your favorite Brady Skjei will be out there. Brandon Montour, Zadorov, Pesce and others. I've never been into Chychrun anyway. 

Get a C now. Worry about D later. Not much in FA for Cs fir the Rangers price range.  

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nah. Plenty of mediocre D men available in FA this summer. Your favorite Brady Skjei will be out there. Brandon Montour, Zadorov, Pesce and others. I've never been into Chychrun anyway. 

Get a C now. Worry about D later. Not much in FA for Cs fir the Rangers price range.  

You won’t have to worry about the D if you bag it

2 hours ago, leetchy2 said:

So points is your only gauge for evaluating a defenseman? Mattius can actually play defense and keep the puck out if the net, and is physically tough to play against. I say this as Miller just gave the puck away to Ottawa leading to a breakaway goal against. 

That's not worth what they're paying him, and it's also not worth Miller straight up. 

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not longer than 4. . Do we have to wait till he's 27? When is enough enough? 

He's getting worse. 

Disagree again.  It's no where near enough is enough with him in my opinion.  

If you move Miller right now it has to be for a young or early prime 3C who you're going to have for a few seasons and a reasonable chance to re-up.

There are very few of these guys even potentially available.

• 3 weeks later...

No goals in last 21.  Turnstiled every game. Weakest link on starting D. 

Yeah. If there's a RW or a center out there that is of the top 6 variety with term, they totally have to offer up Miller as their biggest trade chip. 

Let's re-spark that Zegras talk. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

No goals in last 21.  Turnstiled every game. Weakest link on starting D. 

Yeah. If there's a RW or a center out there that is of the top 6 variety with term, they totally have to offer up Miller as their biggest trade chip

Let's re-spark that Zegras talk. 

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

It's going to be really hard to find a RW or C that is an upgrade on what the Rangers have without making a real hockey trade where we give up current value for current value.

Miller is probably the Ranger's most valuable non-core asset at this point.  He's very likely to go in any real trade.

Eh. He'll figure it out. Too talented not to.

K'Andre Miller is a unicorn in NHL terms. He's a 6'5 D who can skate like the wind and has the radius to cover over half the D zone on his own if he gets the positioning right. 

Patience with this one. He's shown flashes of his ceiling before and he'll get back to a consistent high level.

• Applause 1

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

K'Andre Miller is a unicorn in NHL terms. He's a 6'5 D who can skate like the wind and has the radius to cover over half the D zone on his own if he gets the positioning right. 

Patience with this one. He's shown flashes of his ceiling before and he'll get back to a consistent high level.

Lets also not forget he did take a few days for a mental health break, maybe their is shit going on that we don't know about that has affected his play.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

Yup.

Bottom line- they always knew he was going to be a project if sorts that would need time and reps.

Bigger framed guys often need more time. 

Look at Chára. Look at Pronger.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yup.

Bottom line- they always knew he was going to be a project if sorts that would need time and reps.

Bigger framed guys often need more time. 

Look at Chára. Look at Pronger.

Miller plays nor is projected to play anything like those names. 

They were physical beasts that could contribute offensively. Miller is a big guy with great skating,  but has zero killer instinct. Not physical at all. He's poor defensively. 

This conversation has been had many times. Defensive instinct can't be taught. He's going to be one dimensional. That's it. That's fine. He'll be a consistent 35-40-50 point "D man"  It's not a shot. There are many one dimensional D-men in this league. He is what he is. He's not going to learn defensive awareness or decision making at age 25 or 26. . Lets stop that charade. 

I am in the camp that he has value as that type of player.  Yet, it's not a value that the Rangers necessarily need with Adam Fox here as the staple for offensive D men. It's kind of a luxury if you can look past the defensive warts.

He's not on ANY PP units consistently (I think he's been getting sniff on PP 2 only recently) So, he's not really looked at (here) as a go to for offense. If that's the case, how is he really any kind of piece that must be held on to?  Next year he'll get left over PP scraps.. Its not any kind of difference maker. 

I sell on a one dimensional 2nd tier offensive D man. Especially since the other trade chips are Othmann,  Perreault and Schneider whom I value way more than Miller. 

On another team, Miller could be a 2nd tier, 1st pairing one dimensional D man. Thats the perceived value. That means more to a team that doesn't have an Adam Fox. 

I'd rather pay Gustafsson for 2 more years at 2.5- 3 and get the same results  and use the asset for the bigger need. 3 C and an actual RW is more important to me than a one dimensional offensive D man that can't get PP time and isn't currently providing offense. 

I'll add though... He hasn't scored a goal in 21 games, yet he DOES have 7 goals on the year. He was quietly contributing as per usual earlier (kinda). He's certainly not concentrating on his defensive game,  so I don't know what his issues have been. 

I just think he's an extremely expendable talent that can be traded without major regret. Besides Buchnevich,  I can't think of any young player the Rangers should have major regret of moving. Maybe Skjei,  but it didn't crush the organization. Nor will trading Miller. 

Get a C and or a RW for Miller while you can. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Applause 1