• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Miller Time.... To Talk About Moving Miller

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Oh stop he's only 24. He'll get that in a few years after his brain transplant. Have patience.  Players like him always turn it around.

Look at DeAngelo. Look at Karlsson. Look at Dahlin. Look at Letang. Look at Dougie Hamilton. Look at Subban. Look at Krug.  Tyson Barrie, Kilngberg.... the list of successful turn arounds after being labeled poor defensive players is long. 

Heyyyyy. Wait a second. None of these guys turned it around.

You know what? It's probably because nobody wanted them to. Everyone loves them some defensively challenged offensive D men. Then again it takes longer for them to develop. 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'll hop in the time machine and make it happen and I'll report back the results...

OK I'm back.  It worked. Miller is atrocious defensively, and Gustafsson is similar. There was no noticeable uptick or downtick defensively or offensively. 

This may be the most poor take you have ever put on the internet. 

It can't be proven? No shit. It's an educated guess. The players play a similar game. 

Let's just not talk about any trades here. Because we just can't prove any one if them would work. So, until any season is over, we should just sit here and not discuss anything that hasn't happened yet. 

You guys gonna tell me about a car wreck on the interstate, or how you had to shoot your family dog next????

Sweet Christmas it’s all so doom and gloom here!

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'll hop in the time machine and make it happen and I'll report back the results...

OK I'm back.  It worked. Miller is atrocious defensively, and Gustafsson is similar. There was no noticeable uptick or downtick defensively or offensively. 

This may be the most poor take you have ever put on the internet. 

It can't be proven? No shit. It's an educated guess. The players play a similar game. 

Let's just not talk about any trades here. Because we just can't prove any one if them would work. So, until any season is over, we should just sit here and not discuss anything that hasn't happened yet. 

Nice rant.

You of all people should not be talking about who's worst takes are on the internet.

You still have yet to supply any facts or data to prove anything you've ever said since you started posting here. So who really cares what you think? 

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nice rant.

You of all people should not be talking about who's worst takes are on the internet.

You still have yet to supply any facts or data to prove anything you've ever said since you started posting here. So who really cares what you think? 

I heard it all on podcasts. .Go listen to ever podcast ever. 

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

I mean, you respond to most everything I post. So... you care what I say. 

Well, except when I back my takes with links and such. Then you disappear and act like the conversation never happened. 

Edited by The Dude

31 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

You guys gonna tell me about a car wreck on the interstate, or how you had to shoot your family dog next????

Sweet Christmas it’s all so doom and gloom here!

I don't get tge reference. It a reference right? 

Or... 

What is it you're saying here?

• 1 month later...

Ima admit it. He's playing really really well right now.

I don't know if it's the separation from Trouba or he's just getting into it more, but he's a lot more noticeable for good things lately.

He's very aggressive with his shot and a ton more confident with the puck on his stick. 

Whatever it is. I like this version of Miller. Hopefully it continues. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

On 2/18/2024 at 7:59 PM, RangersIn7 said:

Imagine wrecking the car on the interstate and then having to shoot Scout because of his injuries!!!

Miller and Schneider have horrific underlying stats together. I thought this would be a good pair based on a brief stint together back in December, but it is not. Trouba might be shaky, but Schneider isn't ready for what's being asked of him yet. Improved Rangers 5v5 analytics overall since the trade deadline / Trouba out are in spite of Miller/Schneider - not because of. I don't see Miller/Schneider as a real solution.

As far as Miller specifically is concerned, I'm ready to see him get reps with Fox now. Fox is absolutely dominant right now on both ends of the ice, and is quite easily the best and most stable defensive player on the team. Miller could use that stability, and his speed and offensive ability on the left side complimenting that could be a game changer headed into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Miller and Schneider have horrific underlying stats together. I thought this would be a good pair based on a brief stint together back in December, but it is not. Trouba might be shaky, but Schneider isn't ready for what's being asked of him yet. Improved Rangers 5v5 analytics overall since the trade deadline / Trouba out are in spite of Miller/Schneider - not because of. I don't see Miller/Schneider as a real solution.

As far as Miller specifically is concerned, I'm ready to see him get reps with Fox now. Fox is absolutely dominant right now on both ends of the ice, and is quite easily the best and most stable defensive player on the team. Miller could use that stability, and his speed and offensive ability on the left side complimenting that could be a game changer headed into the playoffs.

I don't really care about the underlying stats because the eyeballs and the ultimate 11 GF and 7 against are good. And, they are still getting used to each other. Teams had 2-3 practices since Trouba got hurt. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't really care about the underlying stats because the eyeballs and the ultimate 11 GF and 7 against are good. And, they are still getting used to each other. Teams had 2-3 practices since Trouba got hurt. 

I don't think goal differential in a vacuum is a good barometer to judge individual players by.

Winning and stars performing hides individual struggles, but it doesn't mean the struggles don't exist.

Miller may just progress offensively and maintain defensively.  Players tend to improve what they already do well and the other stuff might or might not happen.

51 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't think goal differential in a vacuum is a good barometer to judge individual players by.

Winning and stars performing hides individual struggles, but it doesn't mean the struggles don't exist.

It just seems like better things happen on both ends of the ice when this pair is out there. I don't know what the underlying stats say, but it seems like there are way more quality chances happening for the Rangers and these 2 players specifically when they are out there. Whereas Miller/Trouba seemed like everything was about to implode... and it mostly did, on both sides of the ice.

I never saw any real chemistry between Miller and Trouba. It's like they never synced.  Just 2 players kinda doing their own thing out there. Miller/Schneider look like they are on the same page. Miller is even doing more infont of our goalies.

I'd hate to see this pairing changed. It's just a positive situation all around.  You're getting (what looks like) better play out of both of these players in the years that you needed to see more from them. 

I don't think Trouba is as bad as everyone wants to say. I just think the pairing was kinda forced together as a necessity to get each their icetime. They had to play Trouba on a 2nd pairing role just because of who he is. They couldn't put Miller on the 3rd pair with another rookie, so the best solution was to give them both 2nd line minutes.  Miller with Fox seems a little light defensively,  so I get why that wasn't tried either and I kinda don't want to see that now either.  As a PP option definitely.  But we know PP1 is set. 

Trouba on the 3rd pair is going to have to be a  thing.  Unless he can play the left side.  Trouba/Fox could maybe work. Doubt we see that. 

I hope Laviolette sees this current pairing as an upgrade and doesn't try to shoehorn Trouba back in there. But it seems like that's how he rolls. Miller and Trouba have been a pairing for what? 3 years? 4? I don't know how it stuck this long. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

But the goal differential shows they aren't struggling. So does the eyeball test. So if there are some underlying areas that could be better, sure that's fine. But the results are really all that matters especially this time of year. 

Looking at analytics and a vacuum and ignoring boxcars is just as dangerous. Personally, if somebody's failing the eyeball test then I go to check the stats to see what's really happening. Maybe it's not as bad as I think, maybe it's worse. But if somebody looks good, I'm not going to check out their underlying stats, see they aren't good, and then decide that the player or pair isn't good. In my view, that's not the way those stats should work. They shouldn't trump what you're seeing on the ice and they shouldn't trump the results. What I see is two guys getting used to each other, and one guy getting a bigger role. 

There's nothing to see there. They're a good pairing. 

Edited by Pete

58 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What stats aren't good?  I'm not seeing it, fellas

xGA/60, xGF%, HDCA/60, HDCF%.

Schneider's in particular are a shit show.

Get Miller with Fox instead. Just my two cents.

Edited by BrooksBurner