• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blake Wheeler: Is This the End?

It needs to be asked. He has literally zero impact in any way whatsoever. Going back to our home game against the Bruins on November 25th (22 games) he has 3 goals (2 in 1 game) and 6 assists. On top of that, he has been on a line with Kreider and Zibanejad that just isn’t working; he isn’t the answer on that line. And Laviolette believes that seeing as how he’s moved him off the line. 

My question is this: in the event this team adds, which they likely will, where does he even fit on this team? Chances are it isn’t up in the Top-6 seeing as how he doesn’t fit with Zibanejad and Kreider, and the Trocheck line isn’t going to be touched. So if not there, where? The bottom-6 has a conglomeration of Goodrow, Vesey, Bonino, Cuylle, Pitlick, either Kakko (if he doesn’t get bumped up to 93/20’s wing) or potentially a player acquired via trade. So where does Wheeler fit? I don’t see a spot.

Vesey and Pitlick rounded a pretty solid 4th line. Believe Bonino will eventually find a home as a center on that line, and I have confidence in that lineup to do their job.

I just don’t know where Wheeler fits. I get that we signed him for peanuts and I have no issue with giving it a chance. But to be quite honest, it isn’t working. And it hasn’t really worked. He looks like he honestly might be done. I’m not sure he can keep up with the pace here. 

When this team gets fully healthy (I’m putting these lines together as a full hypothetical):

20-93-24

10-16-13

50-21-17 (for now)

26-12-71

So, yes, he would have a spot. But in the event we ever do make a move for either a winger for Zibanejads line, or if we add another center for the 3rd line, he’s the odd man out. I don’t think he deserves a spot in the lineup over Pitlick, for instance, who has done well on the 4th line when he’s been in the lineup.

I honestly think that sooner than later, some decisions are going to have to be made. I’m aware Wheeler isn’t the *only* one, but it definitely is going to be worthy of at least a long and potentially uncomfortable conversation about his future here.

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

They'll do some things, but unfortunately Wheeler is probably just going to ride this season out. We're stuck with him.

Contract wise? Perhaps. But I really don’t see a spot for him in this lineup when Kakko and Pitlick return and after we inevitably upgrade either with a winger for the Zibanejad line or a 3C.

Who cares about Blake Wheeler? He makes league minimum contract for one year. Who. Cares. He has no impact on this team's championship hopes.

Need to stop picking apart guys who don't matter and focus on the real issues, which are very, very, very, very obviously:

1. We have been murdered by injuries, take everything you see with a grain of salt. No team can continue elite performance with half the top 9 out. 

2. We are allowing far too many chances in the slot and off the rush as a team in the second quarter of the season.

Blake Wheeler has nothing to do with this. If you want someone to step up their game and contribute in the wake of injuries, those people are named Adam Fox, Chris Kreider, Mike Zibanejad, and Jacob Trouba. Not Blake Wheeler.

Adam Fox last night knocked down Jordan Kyrou with an open ice hit and then proceeded to be beat by Jordan Kyrou up the ice on the backcheck for a  goal. Want to make a thread about a player? Make it about 8M$ a season Adam Fox. Not Blake "Who Cares" Wheeler. 

• Thanks 2
  • The Chyt! 1

Blake Wheeler is like a 3-toed sloth out there.  With him on one line and Bonino on another the Rangers have the slowest man on the ice 20 minutes a game.

It's not all about Blake Wheeler but can anybody explain what he does well enough to be on the ice for a good team in 2024?

He plays RW....right now anyway....and he's actually not injured or ill.

Kinda reminds me of the Major League II line, "He's old Mother Hubbard and only Vaughn's in the cupboard".

• LOL 1

12 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Wheeler might be serviceable on a team that plays in a structured system, which can cover up a lack of team speed and make players look faster. That's still missing here unfortunately.

Bait GIF

You would think we are the only team with 2 key injuries. Both still never really having established themselves as studs. 

We have a yard of crap mixed in the bottom 6 even on a good day.  A top 5 where 3 maybe 4 guys go hard almost every night. 

D-zone that looks like a disaster area and a goalie who's average now.

Issue way bigger than Chytil and Kakko - yes imo

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

40 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

You would think we are the only team with 2 key injuries. Both still never really having established themselves as studs. 

We have a yard of crap mixed in the bottom 6 even on a good day.  A top 5 where 3 maybe 4 guys go hard almost every night. 

We've replaced a 20-goal scorer (Chytil) and an excellent possession/defensive player (Kakko) with a 30-year-old career AHLer (Brodzinski) and career 4th liner (Pitlick).  Say what you want about wishing for more production from Chytil and Kakko, but those are still two big losses.  It's turned our 3rd line into the worst 4th line in the league.

That said Pitlick to me has earned a spot over Wheeler.

Kakko should be back soon.  With Chytil in Europe, they need a C.

CK - Zib - Cuylle

Panarin - Tro - Laf

Vesey - Lindholm - Kakko

Pitlick - Bonino - Goodrow

This is light years better than running out a line of soon-to-be:  Brozinski - Bonino - Wheeler

Wheeler - shot into the sun.

If Chytil is back for the playoffs I put him at 3LW and bump Vesey back to the 4th line.

• Keeps it 100 1

48 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

40 goals and 55 assists between the two (Kakko and Chytil) are missing. I wasnt a proponent of it before....but....there is a guy who came off hip surgery that looks like he gained a step in his game, playing for a team that isn't playoff bound. Give him a redemption tour in NY. I have changed course on this 180 degrees.

Our bottom 6 is going to continue to be what it is and there is no changing it until Wheeler gets bumped down.

Change up the D corp with a roster move. They are due for a shake up. Mismatching pairs isn't going to do it.

As far as Shesty goes....he unfortunately may be the weak link this year....of all years....ugh.