• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ima Say it... Trade Shesterkin?

The Dude

33 minutes ago, siddious said:

That would be incredible..

But also… Fuck the Kings

It's getting to a point where I can ALMOST forgive Quick.....he's been such a great story this season too.  It's nice to have one of those "stories" on the Rangers for a change, instead of against us!

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Insane when I found out that Quick has a ten-game point streak, which hasn't been done for the Rangers since Richter in 1994. Not even Lundqvist had that kind of run.

The more I watch him, the more I think Drury is a fucking genius!  I also can't believe I'm actually rooting for Quick....and loving it!!  LOL

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

The more I watch him, the more I think Drury is a fucking genius!  I also can't believe I'm actually rooting for Quick....and loving it!!  LOL

I don't have anything against Quick. He beat us in the Final...okay? I wasn't expecting him to lay down for the Stanley Cup. The Rangers beat themselves in that series more anyway. The guy is a competitor, and one thing Kings fans will tell you is that when people are against him, or think he's done, he's got a lot of fight in him. We're seeing that when he plays, and the whole team feeds off of his energy. He's been focused, even getting himself with opponents when they're crowding him. It's fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Agree with most except for the line that he's still the anchor.

He's their best option. He's one of the leagues best. But it's been proven that teams don't require that caliber of a goalie to win a cup. Do I want to ride or die with Shesterkin? Yes. Do I think they have to? No. 

I can see all the other points made by you and some others though. Again.  It was just for conversation.  We had a "Trade Panarin" thread that lasted 3 years and people were down right serious about it. I thought asking peoples thoughts on the hypotheticals of the notion would be good fodder. 

Appreciate the conversation.  I might be old school but I really think goaltending is central to cup runs.  I mean look at the Oilers and the Devils right now-- both teams are struggling because their goaltending is far below average and honestly pretty terrible!  I would hate the Rangers to fall into that same trap of having talented players but sub par goaltending.

• Cheers 1

This whole team has such a good feeling about it.  We've really had some breaks go against us too;  We've been missing Chytil and Kakko now for quite a while, and other players have jumped up and played well in their absence.

I've been really pulling for Cuylle, who I think has been very good, even without a real 3rd line center.  Bonino is doing an admirable job there, but that not his spot, and I'm sure he knows it.

That 4th line though....damn!!!  I watch those guys grind the dog meat out of other teams.  I know Goodrow isn't a forum favorite, but that guy is a total throwback player.  He plays that tough game that we need in the playoffs.  He may be a bit of a luxury but I still think he's a player we need for big games.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It's getting to a point where I can ALMOST forgive Quick.....he's been such a great story this season too.  It's nice to have one of those "stories" on the Rangers for a change, instead of against us!

Tell that to Hank. Go ahead I dare you.

• LOL 1

Played better last night. His feet are still the fastest I've ever seen. I pretty much make my 7 yo watch his lateral play on repeat.

Would like to see a more aggressive push out on obvious incoming shots. I think that would help his glove, even cutting another 10-12" worth of angle down. His push off the post on goal #2 was bad/sad.

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Played better last night. His feet are still the fastest I've ever seen. I pretty much make my 7 yo watch his lateral play on repeat.

Would like to see a more aggressive push out on obvious incoming shots. I think that would help his glove, even cutting another 10-12" worth of angle down. His push off the post on goal #2 was bad/sad.

what?  that was a perfect snipe top corner.  Tretyak wouldnt have stopped it.  Cant blame Shesty for that one.  

I don't blame him at all, but Leafs guys were harping on how bad his glove has become. I don't look at it as a glove hand problem.. Nobody has a great glove, anymore, he's no different. I just think if he plays some shots more aggressively, like he used to, more pucks will find his glove/arm/shoulder.

15 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I don't blame him at all, but Leafs guys were harping on how bad his glove has become. I don't look at it as a glove hand problem.. Nobody has a great glove, anymore, he's no different. I just think if he plays some shots more aggressively, like he used to, more pucks will find his glove/arm/shoulder.

really?  i dont think anyone here noticed it.  Even "trade shesty" thread doesnt mention it

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He helps bring us a Cup and he can be forgiven 90% of the way.

His role in denying Hank a cup will never be truly forgiven, but bringing one to the franchise would go a long way to redemption.

• Applause 1

Just now, LindG1000 said:

He helps bring us a Cup and he can be forgiven 90% of the way.

His role in denying Hank a cup will never be truly forgiven, but bringing one to the franchise would go a long way to redemption.

That's where I'm going...  😃

On 12/18/2023 at 8:59 AM, Phil said:

Impossible to replicate the Vezina year, I'd say, but my larger point is that there's a pattern in place since that shows a slow but steady regression. He' s a career .922 because of the Vezina year and the shortened rookie season where he went .932 in 12 games. I know it's a little improper to do this, but if you take those out of the equation, he's a .912 goalie, which feels closer to who he actually is.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20222023&stype=2&sit=all&score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=3000&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

I did some filtering for goalies, from 2020-2023, all situations, at least 3000 minutes TOI to get rid of goalies without many starts.  This give you goalies that have played ~ 60-175 games and takes out some of the year to year variation in performance.  I didn't include this year, because site only allows a maximum of 3 years, and I wanted to have full years rather than the 30 games from this year

1. Ullmark .926

3. Shesterkin .923

22. Raanta .910

In a game where a goalie faced 30 shots, the goalie with the .926 save percentage makes 27.78 saves, the goalie with the .910 save percentage makes 27.3 saves.

So even though the difference between Ullmark and Raanta looks big because of the save percentage, it's a difference in about half a save a game.  And if you look at the list, there are goalies with a range of salaries and perception of whether they are elite or not. 

Statistics never tell the whole story.  Perhaps you pay for elite goaltending because of the aura - skaters have more confidence and play better, opponents are more likely to snipe for a corner and miss getting the shot on goal.  The elite goaltender makes a game-altering save on a breakaway, or robs an opponent on an almost sure-goal.  A poor goalie is more likely to let in a soft goal.  Interesting stories, but anecdotal, and hard to verify.

My perception is that in any playoff year there are multiple goalies that are capable of playing well enough to win a Cup.  It's all a matter of who gets hot at the right time, how well the skaters play in front of them limiting chances, whether they keep the team close enough for a win, and MAYBE they steal a game or two in a series with a miraculous save or when facing a barrage of shots.

It's all about roster construction.  Do you want to pay for Roy-Brodeur-Hasek level elite, and have less money available for skaters? Or do you want to pay less and have more money for skaters?

My preference is not to pay for elite goaltending, and to focus the roster on a better balance between the skaters and the goaltending.  The risk is that you could be Edmonton, and have McDavid and Draistl and have subpar goaltending leading to playoff exits.  There's a minimum standard needed for goaltending, and paying for Shesterkin avoids having that question mark in goal.

• Applause 1