• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ima Say it... Trade Shesterkin?

The Dude

Are they really even entertaining giving him his next contract? 

Can you imagine the return? 

Can easily get a young top 6 center plus a top 6 RW. 

Do they really need a top goalie? 

This is just for conversation.  I'm not seriously 100%  thinking they can live without him. But I'm definitely thinking it's more possible than I ever thought. 

No.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Are they really even entertaining giving him his next contract?

Probably. Thankfully, with his pedestrian he's playing, the idea of a $10 million goalie is probably gone.

Can you imagine the return? 

Can easily get a young top 6 center plus a top 6 RW.

Except that's probably not how this works at all, nor do they need a top-six center.

Do they really need a top goalie?

Yes, they do. They just don't need to pay $10 million for one (or even $9 million [or even $8 million]).

This is just for conversation.  I'm not seriously 100%  thinking they can live without him. But I'm definitely thinking it's more possible than I ever thought.

They can live without him. The NHL is proving year-over-year that you do not need to, nor should you sink huge dollars into a starting goalie. Find a guy who's good, find a backup who's good, develop young, cheap ones behind them, and keep the train rolling.

• Bullseye 1

9 hours ago, Phil said:

No.

Probably. Thankfully, with his pedestrian he's playing, the idea of a $10 million goalie is probably gone.

Except that's probably not how this works at all, nor do they need a top-six center.

Yes, they do. They just don't need to pay $10 million for one (or even $9 million [or even $8 million]).

They can live without him. The NHL is proving year-over-year that you do not need to, nor should you sink huge dollars into a starting goalie. Find a guy who's good, find a backup who's good, develop young, cheap ones behind them, and keep the train rolling.

He's getting 9 minimum. He can be average the rest of the year and probably next and still get 9. A desperate team that has suffered through years of crap goaltending is waiting for such a player to hit free agency. Edmonton and Toronto are definitely players for him when he hits the market. If they don't have cap space, they will make it. The cap rising will help those teams get to where they want to be. 

They need a top 6 center though. I don't think they can rely on Chytil very much. Either way. Top 6 C or Rw could be had. Easily.  

Why wouldn't it work like this... At all? 

Shesterkin is a 9-12 million dollar goalie for someone. That's why you trade him before he walks in FA. I don't want to pay him more than Hellebuyck.  He'll get it from someone. That's the point. The goalie market has been set by the Islanders and Jets. He'll want what we as fans don't want to pay him. That's top goalie money. 

Shesterkin is still concerned a top goalie. He's getting paid by someone.  

It should seriously be considered sooner rather than later. 

I'm not opposed to trading him, but goalies generally don't get you a great return and where nowhere near the point anyway, it would come next season. This is probably going to be Quick's last season, so his play really doesn't have anything to do with whether or not we keep Shesty. 

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not opposed to trading him, but goalies generally don't get you a great return and where nowhere near the point anyway, it would come next season. This is probably going to be Quick's last season, so his play really doesn't have anything to do with whether or not we keep Shesty. 

I'd think goalies don't get great returns on walk years as rentals. When was the last time a top goalie actually traded anyway? Roy? Seems like it hardly ever happens. 

I'm just thinking ahead. I don't think he'll be a Ranger on his next contract. I'd rather not let him walk for nothing.  I'd think his max value is this season as opposed to next as a rental.  

But youre right... I guess it depends on how he and the team finish this year to determine what they want to do moving forward.  

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'd think goalies don't get great returns on walk years as rentals. When was the last time a top goalie actually traded anyway? Roy? Seems like it hardly ever happens. 

I'm just thinking ahead. I don't think he'll be a Ranger on his next contract. I'd rather not let him walk for nothing.  I'd think his max value is this season as opposed to next as a rental.  

But youre right... I guess it depends on how he and the team finish this year to determine what they want to do moving forward.  

Yeah, you don't move a guy like him in the middle of the season off a team like this. 

• The Chyt! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

If the Rangers were to entertain a trade of Shesterkin, I would lean that Edmonton would be the place that would make sense for both teams.  Oilers have had goalie issues since Grant Fuhr, they may possibly have issues keeping McDavid, and what better way for them to show McDavid that they are committed to winning than getting a top tier goalie?  Would Draisatl for Shesterkin get it done?  Also I guess it would depend on Shesterkins limited NTC and would he be willing to waive it if the Oilers is on that list.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

If the Rangers were to entertain a trade of Shesterkin, I would lean that Edmonton would be the place that would make sense for both teams.  Oilers have had goalie issues since Grant Fuhr, they may possibly have issues keeping McDavid, and what better way for them to show McDavid that they are committed to winning than getting a top tier goalie?  Would Draisatl for Shesterkin get it done?  Also I guess it would depend on Shesterkins limited NTC and would he be willing to waive it if the Oilers is on that list.  

I would tend to think nobody is dumb enough to give up a Draisitl type player for a goalie, but you never know.  

1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

Oilers or Leafs. 

Either way, the receiving team would probably need an extension on Shesterkin,  and would have to trade off 10 million dollars worth of players. 

Draisatl would be great.  Not sure Edmonton does it though. That's kinda the ballpark of where this thought is going. One of these teams would have to move a star. 

28 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Hard to imagine he’d want to go to Edmonton.

I think Draisaitl would cost a good chunk more than Shesterkin too.

No one has addressed what the rangers do to replace him.

garand hasn’t played an nhl game. This isn’t. A rebuilding team you need a goalie who can win now. 

Quick has 1 more year in him at best and at his age I can see his play start to decline fast (let’s see how he even finishes the season)

we’ve been spoiled with good goalies here but this is a no go without some sort of replacement plan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, siddious said:

garand hasn’t played an nhl game. This isn’t. A rebuilding team you need a goalie who can win now. 

Quick has 1 more year in him at best and at his age I can see his play start to decline fast (let’s see how he even finishes the season)

we’ve been spoiled with good goalies here but this is a no go without some sort of replacement plan. 

Possible they maybe ride it out till the very end and do a sign and trade. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Oilers or Leafs. 

Either way, the receiving team would probably need an extension on Shesterkin,  and would have to trade off 10 million dollars worth of players. 

Draisatl would be great.  Not sure Edmonton does it though. That's kinda the ballpark of where this thought is going. One of these teams would have to move a star. 

The Oilers are hot right now after installing Knoblauch.  I don't think you can trade with them at this point.

The Leafs you have a chance but do you really want to trade Igor to a team you might have to face before the SCF?

A trade might be a wise move but it's going to be really hard to find the right deal at this point.

5 hours ago, siddious said:

Theres free agency.  There's trade route. There's getting someone lesser back in the trade for Shesterkin.  I'm not sure it's that big of a hurdle. 

I can think of a few young goalies who could want out of a shitty situation. Wolf in Calgary comes to mind. Skinner in Edmonton would have no purpose if they got Shesterkin. Gibson has stated his displeasure in Anaheim... There's a bunch of "Ok" guys available in UFA this summer like Talbot, Fleury, Raanta and some other younger guys. Then theres better guys the year after. It's not like there's nothing out there in the time-frame.