• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Where the Rangers' Search for a Reliable Right Wing for Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad Might Lead

Phil

The hunt for the Stanley Cup likely will feature a third consecutive trade-deadline hunt for a right wing to ride shotgun for Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad, who have had a revolving door on the starboard side since the Rangers traded Pavel Buchnevich following the 2020-21 season.

They have, in fact, had eight partners for 100 minutes or more while at five-on-five. Not all of that is due to former head coach Gerard Gallant’s penchant for juggling line combinations. It has been a difficult fit.

Frank Vatrano?

When Frank Vatrano came from Florida as a rental a few days ahead of the 2022 trade deadline, his shot-first mentality served as the perfect complement for the BFFs as the Blueshirts advanced to the conference finals.

He left thereafter as a free agent, signing a three-year deal with the Ducks for an average annual value of $3.65 million.

The Shooter and his 14 goals will be at the Garden this Friday with Anaheim. He certainly is going to be available moving into the trade season. With a full year remaining on his deal following this one, the contract could be a tough one to absorb.

If, however, the Rangers are able to get a third team involved at a reasonable cost to eat half the deal and thus reduce the cap hit to $1.825 million, reacquiring the one-time No. 77 becomes a much more palatable option both as applies to this season’s squeeze and next season’s roster.

Filip Chyti?

If Filip Chytil, sidelined since Nov. 2 due to the fourth suspected concussion of his career, is able to return to the team, I wonder whether management and the coaching staff would consider moving him to wing in order to protect him from open-ice collisions.

That was a theory the Rangers employed from time to time with Eric Lindros, though it never quite stuck for more than a few games at a time. What a sight, though, with No. 88 on the flank with Bobby Holik in the middle.

I’d forgotten just how much Chytil played on the wing his first couple of years under then-head coach David Quinn. Indeed, that was pretty much his regular spot for his 2018-19 rookie season.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/12/sports/where-rangers-search-for-a-reliable-right-wing-might-lead/

2 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Why would the Rangers need a third team to eat Vatrano's salary when Anaheim can do that already? 

Brooks stupid.

I understand the point of going after players who fit here previously, but it's too a small a sample size to be considered anything other than lightning in a bottle.

It made sense to acquire him for a 4th rounder. I'm not sure at this point we should pay what it's going to take to get him based of how well he's playing now.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

A certain legendary American player who signed with the Detroit Red Wings recently would have been neat.

But no, it's probably going to be Duclair or something like that as we have speculated. I thought that was a pretty good call.

I remember @Phil called that one earlier this season.  It stuck in my mind, and I caught a few late games to check him out.  Dukes may be the right call! 

Just now, Ozzy said:

I remember @Phil called that one earlier this season.  It stuck in my mind, and I caught a few late games to check him out.  Dukes may be the right call! 

Yes. Even though he and Sharks are playing better, I still don't think it would cost you that much, plus he doesn't have a Vatrano contract and they're looking for cheap(er) players to bring in.

23 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yes. Even though he and Sharks are playing better, I still don't think it would cost you that much, plus he doesn't have a Vatrano contract and they're looking for cheap(er) players to bring in.

He’s UFA, isn’t re-signing there, and can help a team while fetching them something in the process. 
He’s a good candidate to bring in.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I didn't call anything on Duclair. I said he's the guy I'd look at because he makes so much sense as a shoot-first winger for Kreider-Zib. Duclair and Vatrano are the same player, for the most part. The biggest difference is Duclair is a UFA after this season. Vatrano has another year left, so the cost to get him double-retained is going to be higher. I also think it helps a ton that Mike Grier is the GM of the Sharks now.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

I didn't call anything on Duclair. I said he's the guy I'd look at because he makes so much sense as a shoot-first winger for Kreider-Zib. Duclair and Vatrano are the same player, for the most part. The biggest difference is Duclair is a UFA after this season. Vatrano has another year left, so the cost to get him double-retained is going to be higher. I also think it helps a ton that Mike Grier is the GM of the Sharks now.

Duke isn't a shoot-first winger by any means. He hasn't even averaged two shots per game over his career. What he brings is speed.

37 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Duke isn't a shoot-first winger by any means. He hasn't even averaged two shots per game over his career. What he brings is speed.

OK, then shoot first and a half. My point is, you add him to Kreider and Zib, and he's the one firing it at the net.

Vatrano fit well with the line because of his shoot-first mentality. But I agree with Pete. To get him, with a year left on his deal and with retention, may cost a bit. I would imagine a few teams need help scoring.

I said it in another thread but if we are going to recycle names, one that makes more sense and likely won’t cost as much to acquire because of his pending free agency is Tarasenko. He looked good with them too, he has a heavy shot and he played well in the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Vatrano fit well with the line because of his shoot-first mentality. But I agree with Pete. To get him, with a year left on his deal and with retention, may cost a bit. I would imagine a few teams need help scoring.

I said it in another thread but if we are going to recycle names, one that makes more sense and likely won’t cost as much to acquire because of his pending free agency is Tarasenko. He looked good with them too, he has a heavy shot and he played well in the playoffs. 

Tarasenko is a rental though.  Gotta stop doing that.

40 minutes ago, Phil said:

OK, then shoot first and a half. My point is, you add him to Kreider and Zib, and he's the one firing it at the net.

He's at 5.08 shots per 60 which is about the same rate as Kakko. Vatrano is at 11.6 per 60. If you want a volume shooter there then pursue an actual volume shooter there. Duclair historically isn't that at all. He's a good fit there because he's fast and he goes to the net. He's not really comparable to Vatrano, though. Vatrano's volume rivals those of Jack Hughes, Jack Eichel, and Kyle Connor.

• Believe 1

5 hours ago, Phil said:

You were the first I remembered mentioning Duclair, my man.  ...and yeah it makes a lot of sense....still!

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You were the first I remembered mentioning Duclair, my man.  ...and yeah it makes a lot of sense....still!

Oh, sure, maybe. I'm just saying, I wasn't calling him like I had some kinda inside track on this. I just think he'd work well and the connection to Grier is another reason why.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He's at 5.08 shots per 60 which is about the same rate as Kakko. Vatrano is at 11.6 per 60. If you want a volume shooter there then pursue an actual volume shooter there. Duclair historically isn't that at all. He's a good fit there because he's fast and he goes to the net. He's not really comparable to Vatrano, though. Vatrano's volume rivals those of Jack Hughes, Jack Eichel, and Kyle Connor.

Fair. I feel like every game I watch Duclair play, he's constantly an offensive threat, but you're probably right — and the data certainly supports it — that they play different styles but are still both fits. It really exposes just how weak Kreider-Zib are at 5v5.