• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Where the Rangers' Search for a Reliable Right Wing for Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad Might Lead

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, siddious said:

Yepp. 

look at kakko chyyik and laf. There’s nothing wrong with taking your time. 

Nothing wrong with taking a look either.

It's 2 totally different situations. We're talking about 2 players getting zero AHL time over 3 years, when it is obvious they needed it. Vs one player starting out in the AHL and getting a look here and there as a reward. 

Cuylle got a look last year. Not sure why everyone is so hesitant to give Othmann his look. 

• TroCheckmark 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Leave him in the oven, Dude man....Next year.  I wanna see him too, but it may be just a tad too soon.

Time Godzilla GIF

No.

It's not too soon.

It's just about time he gets a look.  No need to be overly cautious here. It would be just to see what he can add. The 3rd line needs a kick start. He's perfect for the need as long as he's OK with playing RW. He's offensively gifted. Loves to shoot. Can mix it up. He can be a spark plug. He's that level of a talent where he would potentially be a difference maker and a go to guy for that line. Obviously Bonino is a black hole for offense, but a guy like this could maybe carry the line. 

Again. It's not a make or break situation. Let's see what he can do. If it's not enough.. He easily goes back to Hartford for more seasoning. No harm done.  Give him a taste. 

When I initially brought up the notion,  everyone was saying it's a good idea if he kept putting up points over a longer span. Well, it's been almost a month. He's kept it up.  What more does he have to do? 

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Time Godzilla GIF

No.

It's not too soon.

It's just about time he gets a look.  No need to be overly cautious here. It would be just to see what he can add. The 3rd line needs a kick start. He's perfect for the need as long as he's OK with playing RW. He's offensively gifted. Loves to shoot. Can mix it up. He can be a spark plug. He's that level of a talent where he would potentially be a difference maker and a go to guy for that line. Obviously Bonino is a black hole for offense, but a guy like this could maybe carry the line. 

Again. It's not a make or break situation. Let's see what he can do. If it's not enough.. He easily goes back to Hartford for more seasoning. No harm done.  Give him a taste. 

When I initially brought up the notion,  everyone was saying it's a good idea if he kept putting up points over a longer span. Well, it's been almost a month. He's kept it up.  What more does he have to do? 

It's not a bad idea, Dude man...I just don't see a reason just yet, that's all.

We're #1 in the league right now in points.....Probably going to get Kakko back at some point, and I really just don't see a pressing need right now.  That being said, MAYBE...Maybe down the road, before the playoffs if we wanna rest a few guys, we could give him a taste of the biggs in April.  I see no harm in that.

But as a full-timer?  Now?  Like I said, I just don't see the need.  I may be wrong, but that's just what I'm feelin', that's all.  Pete @siddious has a solid point; we seem to rush guys along and fuck up this process.  That needs to change, and the sooner the better, I think.

16 hours ago, The Dude said:

Othmann is only at 15 points in his last 13 games. Still not ready I guess. 

Pretty sure quite a number of those points have come via the PP, and he’s still not played any RW whatsoever.

I think that’s the stop for them at this point 

As for just taking a look, it’s not an awful idea per se, but I just get the feeling that that is not how they would like to go about it with him.

I think when they call him up, they want to slot him into a role and have him be here for good. 

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It's not a bad idea, Dude man...I just don't see a reason just yet, that's all.

We're #1 in the league right now in points.....Probably going to get Kakko back at some point, and I really just don't see a pressing need right now.  That being said, MAYBE...Maybe down the road, before the playoffs if we wanna rest a few guys, we could give him a taste of the biggs in April.  I see no harm in that.

But as a full-timer?  Now?  Like I said, I just don't see the need.  I may be wrong, but that's just what I'm feelin', that's all.  Pete @siddious has a solid point; we seem to rush guys along and fuck up this process.  That needs to change, and the sooner the better, I think.

There's an absolute need for a better skill level on the 3rd line. 

I don't know why you and others look past the point that this situation is nothing at all like Kakkos and Lafrenières. They got ZERO time in the A. None. Zip. Nadda.

The need to send them down to begin with would have been for them to gain confidence by hopefully lighting up the A. 

This is nothing at all like what they did with those guys. Othmann is playing confident.  He's putting up the points and it's not all on the PP like some people want you to believe. 

Why would April be a better time? The roster will be filled by then. Whether by trade or by Kakko.  There's a hole now man. In a time where they need some help yet are still winning is the absolute perfect time for such a move. There's no pressure and there's room for error. 

The only hold back is that I'm unaware of if he's been playing rw.  Then again he's said he has no issue moving to the right and did just fine in camp on the right. That's a non issue really.

They called up Cuylle for a cup of coffee last year. Why not Othmann this year? 

13 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Pretty sure quite a number of those points have come via the PP, and he’s still not played any RW whatsoever.

I think that’s the stop for them at this point 

As for just taking a look, it’s not an awful idea per se, but I just get the feeling that that is not how they would like to go about it with him.

I think when they call him up, they want to slot him into a role and have him be here for good. 

8. of 15. 

He doesn't need PP time to be effective.

This isn't even a finesse only player. If he's not scoring, he will still have value. He brings more than just scoring. 

I don't get how people will say the Rangers don't want to repeat the errors they made with Lafrenière and Kakko,  then say things like your last paragraph. Why pigeon hole yourself and give a role to a kid and make him sit there no matter the outcome? That's exactly what they did to Kakko and Lafrenière.  

You can yo-yo him up or down now, if he's not ready. You have to give yourself and the player room to grow and the option to not be ready yet. That's what they needed to do with the others. 

When there's an opportunity and room for error, that's a time to take a look. 

13 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think deep down they may have learned something with Kakko and Lafreniere and are going to want Brennan to marinate more down there. 

Yes. They learned that they needed patience and to not put the prospect in a must succeed scenario. A scenario where the team relied too heavily on them to just get it, because they had terrible options on the roster and in the system. They figured their shortcomings and lack of confidence were still positives compared to their options. 

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

There's an absolute need for a better skill level on the 3rd line. 

I don't know why you and others look past the point that this situation is nothing at all like Kakkos and Lafrenières. They got ZERO time in the A. None. Zip. Nadda.

The need to send them down to begin with would have been for them to gain confidence by hopefully lighting up the A. 

This is nothing at all like what they did with those guys. Othmann is playing confident.  He's putting up the points and it's not all on the PP like some people want you to believe. 

Why would April be a better time? The roster will be filled by then. Whether by trade or by Kakko.  There's a hole now man. In a time where they need some help yet are still winning is the absolute perfect time for such a move. There's no pressure and there's room for error. 

The only hold back is that I'm unaware of if he's been playing rw.  Then again he's said he has no issue moving to the right and did just fine in camp on the right. That's a non issue really.

They called up Cuylle for a cup of coffee last year. Why not Othmann this year? 

Well, you were right about Laviolette, and maybe you're right about Othmann.  My point is that I'm really not a big fan of making guys switch wings....especially right out of the gate.

We'll see what happens, and I'm not saying i'm not looking forward to seeing him up here.  I would love to.  I'd rather it be a fit though.  We have about 47 Left wingers at present.  I know he said he can play both sides but at the NHL level?  We shall see my good man  😃

Edited by Ozzy
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

8. of 15. 

He doesn't need PP time to be effective.

This isn't even a finesse only player. If he's not scoring, he will still have value. He brings more than just scoring. 

I don't get how people will say the Rangers don't want to repeat the errors they made with Lafrenière and Kakko,  then say things like your last paragraph. Why pigeon hole yourself and give a role to a kid and make him sit there no matter the outcome? That's exactly what they did to Kakko and Lafrenière.  

You can yo-yo him up or down now, if he's not ready. You have to give yourself and the player room to grow and the option to not be ready yet. That's what they needed to do with the others. 

When there's an opportunity and room for error, that's a time to take a look. 

I’m only speculating as to what they actually want or envision in regards to Othmann. We don’t know for sure though.

As to what I said regarding that, in terms of his role and placing him there and all and that being similar to Kakko and LaFreniere, or pigeonholed…. I think that they feel it would be different in that he’s not jumped to the NHL right away. He went back to Junior for a year. And he’s getting professional experience at the minor league level first. Those guys did the opposite. 

Those guys needed to play and play a lot and be in a prominent role. They didn’t get that. They could’ve had that in Hartford. Which is what Othmann is getting now and he’s performing well. 

IDK. As said, I’m speculating regarding their thoughts on him internally. But I don’t think they want to yo-yo him. My guess would be they feel that might be detrimental. 

36 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lol it was a genuine question. Is 8 the real number or are you just being sarcastic?

He wouldn’t get legitimate PP time here so it matters how much he is producing at even strength to be worth dragging him away from a developmental environment.

From what I can count in the game logs in this span I'm talking about, it's 8 of his 15 points. I think it was 3 of his 7 goals were PP. I do have to note that he hasn't scored a goal in 6 games though. 

Again. I feel like he doesn't really need to come here now and score right away.  Just his style of play and his skillset would be a welcome addition to that 3rd line, which has Bonino stuck as the C for now. It needs a little more oomph, zip, pop, jump, energy, and attitude. 

Poor  Cuylle is saddled with a 35 yesr old 4th line center and an AHL lifer... A little more youthful energy and potential could be a spark for a pretty dead line.

That could easily be changed by swapping Goodrow with Bonino. But if that were going to happen,  it would have been done already. It's not like Goodrow is super integral to the Jimmy Vesey line. Because both he and Pitlick pretty much suck. Vesey drives that line. Heck. Vesey should be on line 3..  Apparently thus 4th line has captured the fans and the coach's heart. I just see Vesey doing all the heavy lifting. You'd think he has earned a leg up. And since he hasn't. Othmann fits the bill.