• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blake Wheeler Is Struggling

Phil

Really really bad. 

Two offensive zone penalties tonight while playing on the top line. As @Kevin pointed out in the GDT, he can't keep up with Zib and Kreider and that's exactly why he took penalties. 

Guy is actually hurting the team on the ice; thank god he's only signed to league minimum. 

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Even better. They'll probably just sit him first though, I bet. I guess we'll see. I don't think he even touched the ice in the third. Laviolette really tried, and he clearly saw this is about it.

He saw the ice for at least one shift in the third. I saw him skating the wrong way during his shift at least twice lol

I'd leave Othmann for now.  I think he's also a LW. 

I'm gonna give Wheels a few more games to get adjusted...I know, that's not a popular thought, but I say at least Christmas before we go doing anything with him.  We're 8-0-1 in this stretch, so he's not killing us.....yet.

Hang tight a little longer and let's see what's up.  He may be better suited for the fightin' 4th line.....who looked really good last night, by the way!

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Not gunna be popular but.....we did have a kid play fast and have success in camp.....doing well to start with the pack too .....why don't they give Othmann a cup of coffee up here? See how it goes for 10 games.....no guarantees but it makes sense.

100% my thoughts.  Wheeler is terrible, slow and never going to be the actual solution for a top 6 forward.  I'm confident Othmann may not be NHL ready but if they are trying to find an NHL top 6 forward, Othmann has a much better chance to fill that role than Wheeler.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gravesy said:

Both of those penalties were purely down to not being able to keep up with the speed of the game. 

He's cooked and probably shouldn't be on the team, unfortunately.

Yup

And if that’s starting to happen where he’s taking penalties because he’s overmatched out there, it’s gonna be a problem.

I don’t see how he can be in the lineup every night on a contender.

This guy at best looks like a 13th forward on a rebuilding team. 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm giving Lavvy the benefit of the doubt here and I think he'll figure out how to get the most out of Wheeler.  

It's got to be a tough situation for Laviolette.  He probably has all the respect in the world for a vet like Blake Wheeler.  However he has to do what is best for the team.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

It's time to move Vesey to the Zibanejad line. 

Wheeler is a 4th liner power play 2 guy at best currently.

I don't think he achieves what they want with the 4th line though. Wheeler is not good defensively at all and, as we all know, he's super slow. Bonino is slow too, but at least he can win a faceoff.