• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blake Wheeler Is Struggling

Phil

Can Wheeler pick up an 'injury' *winkwink* and go on LTIR until like February or something? Like I have no doubt that a fresh, healthy Wheeler can help this team in the playoff push/in the playoffs. He doesn't have the legs right now though. 

I said originally I don't need Wheeler to be good in October. And honestly, I don't need him to be good in November either. But eventually he's gotta show any semblance of bein gable to contribute. His age caught up to him really fast, and maybe he just needs to not play for a while and get re-focused.

He looks very frustrated with himself as well. I'm sure he knows he's better than what he's shown. There was a play last night where I think he thought he could've deflected a shot and missed it and he slammed his stick. This is weighing on him for sure. Hopefully with the added opportunity he can get the first one, get the monkey off his back and start producing. But I'm not confident in this.

35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm giving Lavvy the benefit of the doubt here and I think he'll figure out how to get the most out of Wheeler.  

30 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's got to be a tough situation for Laviolette.  He probably has all the respect in the world for a vet like Blake Wheeler.  However he has to do what is best for the team.

It’s hard for everyone. 
Wheeler has had a brilliant career. Been an all-star, point per game player, a team Captain, etc.

But at this point, he just doesn’t look like an NHL player anymore.

As I said, if some rebuilding team wanted to keep him around as a 4th liner or extra forward, there’s possibly some value there. 
But if you fancy yourself as a contender, this guy doesn’t look like he can be in the lineup anymore. 

You can give him a little more time. But I think if you hit the 20-game mark or so, and he still looks like this, you gotta look elsewhere. 
By that point you’ll have seen all you need to. 

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Father time comes for all athletes.

Except Tom Brady. Tom Brady was the only athlete I've seen truly defy it. He was 45 and still playing at an insanely high level. He could have kept playing until who knows what age.

The drop off here is so steep though. He still had 16g, 39a in 72 games last season. I thought 30 points was a reasonable mark for him, but he'd be lucky to get 15 at this rate. 

18 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Except Tom Brady. Tom Brady was the only athlete I've seen truly defy it. He was 45 and still playing at an insanely high level. He could have kept playing until who knows what age.

Nolan Ryan played at a high level until 45 and then got hurt and fell off the cliff.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lidstrom was the same way.

I hear you guys loud and clear, and I know he's not even showing very many signs of life, but I still think we gotta give the guy more than just a few weeks of being here.

I know, I'm fucking crazy, but I just feel like he's been such a good leader, and solid citizen in the NHL for such a long time, that something's gotta be in there that can help us.  I dunno, I just have a really hard time believing this guy went to a complete zero over the summer.

I still gotta stick to at least Christmas as my "cut along the dotted line" for him.

• Believe 1

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I hear you guys loud and clear, and I know he's not even showing very many signs of life, but I still think we gotta give the guy more than just a few weeks of being here.

I know, I'm fucking crazy, but I just feel like he's been such a good leader, and solid citizen in the NHL for such a long time, that something's gotta be in there that can help us.  I dunno, I just have a really hard time believing this guy went to a complete zero over the summer.

I still gotta stick to at least Christmas as my "cut along the dotted line" for him.

as long as we're winning...no reason we can't be patient

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

That's kinda where I'm at Jdog. 

We're gonna need his contribution, no doubt....I just think he needs more time to settle in.

I would give him some more time too, but at what lines expense is the question?

If Kakko would've worked on Zibanejad's line it wouldn't be such a problem.

Very exagerated takes here.

One of his penalties last night was pretty weak.

He was going to the front of the net and getting open in the slot most of the night. All you can really ask from him on that line, is to get open or create room for his linemates.  Some shifts he did that. Its game 1 together. Let the line gell a little before we say it doesn't work.  

I think he will snap out of it. Just needs 1 to break the schneid. 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Very exagerated takes here.

One of his penalties last night was pretty weak.

He was going to the front of the net and getting open in the slot most of the night. All you can really ask from him on that line, is to get open or create room for his linemates.  Some shifts he did that. Its game 1 together. Let the line gell a little before we say it doesn't work.  

I think he will snap out of it. Just needs 1 to break the schneid. 

Not sure it's all that exaggerated, otherwise why would he have gotten all of 4 shifts in the 3rd period?  First one coming past the 9 min mark.  He was dreadful.

http://shiftchart.com/game/2023-11-07-red-wings-rangers

10 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The drop off here is so steep though. He still had 16g, 39a in 72 games last season. I thought 30 points was a reasonable mark for him, but he'd be lucky to get 15 at this rate. 

It's really not unusual to step down and have the step down be right off a cliff at his age.  Some guys can keep it together but they're usually the guys who have been fitness maniacs their entire career and they're still running the stairs every day.

Use it or lose it.