• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blake Wheeler Is Struggling

Phil

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

It's really not unusual to step down and have the step down be right off a cliff at his age.  Some guys can keep it together but they're usually the guys who have been fitness maniacs their entire career and they're still running the stairs every day.

Use it or lose it.

That’s my philosophy 

7 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Not sure it's all that exaggerated, otherwise why would he have gotten all of 4 shifts in the 3rd period?  First one coming past the 9 min mark.  He was dreadful.

http://shiftchart.com/game/2023-11-07-red-wings-rangers

If I recall correctly,  they opened the 3rd on a PK and took 2 more minors within the first 6- minutes of the 3rd. That might explain why it took so long to get his first shift in the 3rd. Maybe the opportunity never materialized due to that? 

I'm not saying he's been good. I'm saying he hasn't been as bad as some are saying. On this line, I see marked improvement in where he's going on the ice. He's separating from defenders and is getting open.  He's creating traffic infront of the net. Zibanejad and Kreider need to start realizing they have a RW. They haven't to this point. 

The MSL experience at the same age is instructive:

He was cruising along at age 38.  Upon the trade he scored one goal in 20 games and didn't do much in the first round.  He picked it up greatly in the next two rounds, but was a non-entity in the finals.  The following season, he was solid for the first third and then went off a cliff and was a hinderance to his team in the playoffs.   So basically, we went wobbly at 38, alternating fairly short effective and non-effective periods, before simply going off the cliff.

Envision a plane that is flying high, hits a period of turbulence for a while, and then crashes.

Edited by Sod16